Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
nUbee
nUbee began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle for Internet Access

hello forum!

I'm a complete newb to kindle ... don't own one and am not interested in using it for reading books. But there's another potential use for it that's been preying on my mind, and I wanted to find out if it would work. My assumption is that it won't, in fact, work, because it would be too good to be true, but hey it's worth asking.

So here's the thing. Consider a Kindle 3G + WiFi. Can it be used to supply Internet access to a computer? IOW, Kindle connects to Internet via 3G, and connects to computer (that does not have 'net access) through WiFi or cable. Can the kindle forward/route packets between the two interfaces, thereby putting the computer online?

Obviously the benefit of this would be "lifetime" access at a low cost that's faster than dial-up. I assume there are drawbacks too (battery & device lifetime.)

Thank you kindly for any replies!
nUbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Kindly read the last post in this thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77920
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
nUbee

Thanks for the thread link Atilla.

I case I wasn't clear, it was not my intent to hack the hardware. My question of whether it was possible should have said "legally and technically possible with a standard device", I guess. I'll take a look for the terms of service.

No offense intended. Cheers.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:07 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, using the Kindle for tethering is not permitted.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
nUbee

Thank you HarryT. I'll have to pursue other avenues.
Advert