Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Kindle books are never yours

I just found out that books bought for the kindle from Amazon are just leased and you can't transfer them to a new reader.

Who would pay for a book that they were not going to own?
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
So, if Kobo were to suddenly disappear off the web, and all we had ever used to load a book onto our devices was the Kobo software, where would one find our 'owned' copy of a book in order to transfer it onto another device?
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

The easiest way is to use the 'Download ePub' link to download the actual epub file and store that in a safe place.

The Kobo application uses a SQLite database to store books, so there are no individual epub files. This local database is @ '... \AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition' for me, might be slightly different for the Borders software.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

They are also in the email with the purchase receipt.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
The 'download epub' function (either from the website or the receipt) only downloads the .acsm file though, doesn't it? Isn't that just a shell or licence until it actually accesses the content on the website again? If that's the case one has to download it, and open up the file in another program such as ADE or Calibre, etc. in order to posess an actual EPUB file. So, if one never uses either of those programs and uses only the Kobo software provided, because the file is stored in the SQL database and cannot be read as an EPUB, aren't they really only 'renting' the book? Or am I missing something?
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I just found out that books bought for the kindle from Amazon are just leased and you can't transfer them to a new reader.

Of course you can transfer them to a new reader. It does need to be a reader that supports Kindle format, but if you have books now on a K1, K2 or DX you will also be able to read them on the Kindle 3 whenever it comes out (and also the various apps of course).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
The easiest way is to use the 'Download ePub' link to download the actual epub file and store that in a safe place.
Interesting thing on the borders Australia website is not all the books have this ability. Personally I wouldn't buy if I didn't get a backup (after going through 2 ipods, numerous phones, 3 laptops.....) that I could put away for safe keeping.

I did get a book that did not have the "download epub" but I didn't pay for it as it was "Through the Looking Glass" which is public domain. I did find it strange that the free ebooks did not have the download to epub option.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #8
wrenn1
Addict

I think the 100 free books came from Gutenburg so easy enought to pick up again.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #9
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguefan99 View Post
Interesting thing on the borders Australia website is not all the books have this ability. Personally I wouldn't buy if I didn't get a backup (after going through 2 ipods, numerous phones, 3 laptops.....) that I could put away for safe keeping.

I did get a book that did not have the "download epub" but I didn't pay for it as it was "Through the Looking Glass" which is public domain. I did find it strange that the free ebooks did not have the download to epub option.
We're hard at work doing a ton of content processing to get every book available in ePub.

Don't quote me, but I think we are prioritizing paid books (guy's gotta eat ), but we'll get there!
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #10
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
But can't you read Amazon-bought books on a desktop computer with their software? Gee I hope so. I don't own a Kindle so I don't know.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:26 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
But can't you read Amazon-bought books on a desktop computer with their software? Gee I hope so. I don't own a Kindle so I don't know.
Yes, on Windows or Mac PC's. Also on iPhone, iPod Touch, Blackberry, iPad and soon Android phones/tablets.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:11 AM   #12
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
We're hard at work doing a ton of content processing to get every book available in ePub.

Don't quote me, but I think we are prioritizing paid books (guy's gotta eat ), but we'll get there!
Yea I understand that, it was just a wierd thing that I noticed. I'm guessing its done as an epub (looks like a perfect epub) and its from Gutenberg (has it in the file).

I'd actually prefer you to choose paid books over free ones due to the fact that it allows for competition (I'll buy from the cheapest with the above criteria). Problem is people keep releasing books making your jobs more difficult

Anyway, I'm personally hanging out for the firmware update
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:43 AM   #13
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post

That's understandable, but what I'm not clear about is why the free books that you already have in ePub for Kobo aren't available for free on the Kobo site.

Specifically, I've found that the 100 preloads aren't available for download. I'm someone who had to delete the 100 preloads because the sqlite file was corrupted and rendering my purchases unreadable, and I would like to be able to reaquire some of those books through Kobo. I can get them all from Project Gutenberg, of course, but it would be so much more convenient if I could just take them from the Kobo site.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
DKazzed
Enthusiast
DKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Porcelain
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
The 'download epub' function (either from the website or the receipt) only downloads the .acsm file though, doesn't it? Isn't that just a shell or licence until it actually accesses the content on the website again? If that's the case one has to download it, and open up the file in another program such as ADE or Calibre, etc. in order to posess an actual EPUB file. So, if one never uses either of those programs and uses only the Kobo software provided, because the file is stored in the SQL database and cannot be read as an EPUB, aren't they really only 'renting' the book? Or am I missing something?
Download the ACSM file and open it with Adobe Digital Editions. It'll be stored safe in your computer and with Adobe Digital Editions you can transfer it to your Sony eReader or any other eReader that supports DRM'ed eBooks.
DKazzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #15
kremesch
kremesch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post

All digital content is considered 'leased'.

Books from Amazon can be transferred between compatible devices (Kindles only at this time). They just can't be transferred from one activated device to another. Once purchased, choose the 'Download to PC' option (not 'kindle for PC'), and you have your backup that you can move around. They are also backed up on Amazon's server, and they can be re-downloaded to a new device as well. Be carefull though, I read somewhere that some books only allow a certain number of downloads.
kremesch is offline   Reply With Quote