Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-14-2010, 01:46 AM   #1
Gus Flory
Enthusiast
Gus Flory rocks like Gibraltar!Gus Flory rocks like Gibraltar!Gus Flory rocks like Gibraltar!Gus Flory rocks like Gibraltar!Gus Flory rocks like Gibraltar!Gus Flory rocks like Gibraltar!Gus Flory rocks like Gibraltar!Gus Flory rocks like Gibraltar!Gus Flory rocks like Gibraltar!Gus Flory rocks like Gibraltar!Gus Flory rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
Scribd?

Does anyone download e-books from Scribd?

I had my book for sale there since September with very few views and no purchases. Last week, I made the first third of the book available free for download and a few people have downloaded it.

I'm wondering if users of e-readers are going to Scribd for books, or if it's just PC people. Other than Kindle, where are e-book people getting their e-books? It doesn't appear to be Smashwords.

GALAXY OF HEROES for download on Scribd: http://www.scribd.com/doc/29524292/G...f-Heroes#about

Gus
Gus Flory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:05 AM   #2
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
I have used Scribd to download tutorials and other stuff before - mostly in PDF format for my Iliad.
I haven't bought anything there yet though.
Good luck with your book - I'll have a look at it.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:12 AM   #3
Gus Flory
Enthusiast
Gus Flory rocks like Gibraltar!Gus Flory rocks like Gibraltar!Gus Flory rocks like Gibraltar!Gus Flory rocks like Gibraltar!Gus Flory rocks like Gibraltar!Gus Flory rocks like Gibraltar!Gus Flory rocks like Gibraltar!Gus Flory rocks like Gibraltar!Gus Flory rocks like Gibraltar!Gus Flory rocks like Gibraltar!Gus Flory rocks like Gibraltar!

Hi.

Could you tell me how it looks on your reader?

Gus
Old 04-14-2010, 02:22 AM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I've never bought from Scribd, but I do buy from Smashwords (especially those authors that are on MR).

Just because a book doesn't have as many downloads from Smashwords as Kindle doesn't mean that it isn't being seen or purchased. (The book is still getting exposure, if you qualify for the premium catalog you are available through other stores... from their info page

Quote:
3. Premium Feed: This new catalog is distributed to major online retailers such as Barnes & Noble, Sony, Kobo (formerly known as Shortcovers) and Apple, and other distribution outlets. These retailers have higher mechanical standards such as requiring quality book cover images, books with copyright pages, and other simple requirements outlined below. If you're a serious author or publisher, you want your books included in Smashwords Premium Catalog. For special requirements of the Apple catalog, see this checklist, How to Publish Ebooks on the iPad with Smashwords.
I have the Sony 505 and friends with Sony's and Kindles. My friends with Kindles will look for books on Smashwords then usually look for the same book on Amazon and buy it there. Their reasoning is so they can keep all their books in one place plus whispernet it to their Kindle. They discover and try indie authors because they saw them on or through Smashwords.

EDIT: forgot to mention that if the book isn't on Amazon they will buy it from smashwords.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:12 AM   #5
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Flory View Post
Hi.

Could you tell me how it looks on your reader?

Gus
Here's a few shots on my PRS-900. You'll have to excuse the quality. I used my Nokia phone for the camera, and the lighting in the office is all fluorescent.

The book layout looks good - especially re-flowed at medium font size (last two shots).

Cheers,

m-reader
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14042010048.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	49786   Click image for larger version

Name:	14042010049.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	49787   Click image for larger version

Name:	14042010051.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	49788   Click image for larger version

Name:	14042010052.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	49789   Click image for larger version

Name:	14042010053.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	49790  
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
Gus Flory
Enthusiast

Pretty cool. I was wondering how it would look on a different reader. It took me a while to get it right.

Thank you for that!
Old 04-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
Scribd simply does not have the content that is readily available on other web sites. It is a sort of last resort stop for most folks when it comes to ebooks. I would look around here for ideas about other places to sell your book.

I use a wide variety of sites for ebooks including: www.fictionwise.com, www.bookviewcafe.com, www.kobo.com. www.manybooks.net, www.booksonboard.com, www.mobipocket.com, www.zuluexpress.com, and many others.

There are plenty of online self publishing sites as well and never underestimate the power of self promotion, start your own web site and host your book there.

Scribd is a good place to start, but it should not be your one and only place.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
Gus Flory
Enthusiast

Jabberwock,

Thanks for the advice and links!

On a side note, Scribd just featured my book and my number of reads shot up by around 300 in one day, plus about 10 new downloads. Pretty cool.

Gus
Old 04-16-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Flory View Post
I'm wondering if users of e-readers are going to Scribd for books, or if it's just PC people. Other than Kindle, where are e-book people getting their e-books? It doesn't appear to be Smashwords.
I've used Scribd for a long time, but not for pay content-- just for accessing and sharing free material, mostly scientific papers. I haven't looked in a while, but I see "my" documents have over 143,000 reads and over 13,500 downloads.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote