Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
Raúl
Raúl began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS600
Unhappy Synchronising vs. dragging and dropping

Hi,

much as I try to synchronise it does not work, and the sony technical help online is not really helping me out...
Do you know if dragging and dropping the titles from the library window to the reader window is the same? I wonder whether just dragging and dropping withouth synchronising might give trouble later.

Thanks for any help,

Rúl
Raúl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Whem I go to add a book to my 505, I add it to the library and then the subsequent collection. Then I can drag/drop it to the Reader and then into the collection. Never a problem in over two years of ownership. I found the one time that I tried auto-sync that it just doesn't really work well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Raúl

Good to know! Thanks a lot.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You don't need to use the library window at all. You can simply open Windows Explorer, and drag a book directly from there onto the "Reader" or "Reader Memory Card" icons in EBL.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
Raúl

Hi Harry. I guess after reading some posts here I am probably the most computer-illiterate in the forum, which you will realise when reading the following question: when I buy a book, the elibrary opens automatically, otherwise I don't know to which folder in the explorer the book goes!
Old 11-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, when you buy a book from the Sony eBook Store, you do need to go via the library. I was referring to books obtained elsewhere, such as from our "Book Uploads" forum, for example.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
Raúl

Ok, I see. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You don't need to use the library window at all. You can simply open Windows Explorer, and drag a book directly from there onto the "Reader" or "Reader Memory Card" icons in EBL.
But if you just use Windows Explorer to put content on the Reader, you won't be able to use collections. I do find collections to be very handy and use them for every book I have on the 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if you just use Windows Explorer to put content on the Reader, you won't be able to use collections. I do find collections to be very handy and use them for every book I have on the 505.
True, although "Calibre" provides an alternate way of adding books to collections (although it doesn't do EBL's "pre-pagination" of books, of course).
Old 11-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
Raúl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do find collections to be very handy and use them for every book I have on the 505.
I also find collections a very useful tool. However, as so many things with the Sony software, it seems to work only partially well. I make sometimes changes in the collections which are not stored, either in the library or in the reader. I have to redo them until they finally take place.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I prefer to synchronize my reader rather than dragging and dropping the files on my reader. The main advantage of syncing my reader is that I can do all of ebook organization work on my computer without having my reader connected to my computer. This includes:
  • Deciding which ebooks will be loaded on my reader (only ebooks in a collection are loaded on my reader)
  • Organizing my ebook collections and deciding where they will be stored (some collections are stored on my reader's internal memory and others on my SD card)
While I can do the above with dragging and dropping, the advantage of using sync is that can do all of the ebook work on my computer, then connect my reader and have all of my changes update at one time. It is much faster than dragging and dropping, where I'd have to handle each ebook individually.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote