Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Anyone reading the Dark Tower now?

I have never read it but I think I may try to read it prior to August. It is about 4,500 pages it looks like so should be doable if I start soon. I assume I should read them in publication order even though book 8, The Wind Through the Keyhole, is before a couple of the other books.

How does the trailer look in relation to the books? (Youtube video in the spoiler.)

Wikipedia has this to say which makes me think I really need to read them first to understand what is going on (possible spoilers?)
Spoiler:
Quote:
In July 2016, director Nikolaj Arcel confirmed that the Dark Tower film would be a sequel to the novels as well as a direct adaptation, with Roland in the next cycle of his journey to the Tower.

Last edited by Dazrin; 05-04-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
It's been a while since I've read the series, but watching the trailer, the movie doesn't seem to follow the books very closely.

I have to wonder what a "direct adaptation" is supposed to mean.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If Matt McConaughey's Man in Black says, "alright, alright, alright" even once, I'm out.

And yes ... I would read the books in publication order. Including Wind Through the Keyhole.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I have to wonder what a "direct adaptation" is supposed to mean.
The director saying "a sequel to the novels as well as a direct adaptation" is what is confusing me. How can it be both a sequel and direct adaptation?
Old 05-05-2017, 02:46 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
The director saying "a sequel to the novels as well as a direct adaptation" is what is confusing me. How can it be both a sequel and direct adaptation?
I'd guess it means that it tells the story that's in the novels and then continues after the point at which the novels end.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:17 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll reserve judgement till I see the movie, but ...

7 books, plus a continuation of the story seems like a lot to fit into one movie.

Spoiler:
I didn't remember the ending, but after reading wiki, a continuation makes sense.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer

I thought that this was interesting:

Quote:
... The thing about The Dark Tower is that those books were never edited, so I look at them as first drafts. ...
http://www.blastr.com/2014-11-4/step...ing-dark-tower
Old 05-05-2017, 11:41 AM   #8
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd guess it means that it tells the story that's in the novels and then continues after the point at which the novels end.
Could be but it seems a little weird to compress 4500 pages of books into a single movie and have room for a sequel in the same movie.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:28 AM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Spoiler:
My guess is that it would be the same story on a different cycle with some changes. The changes give hope that the cycle will eventually be broken.

Last edited by BenG; 05-15-2017 at 12:13 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:47 AM   #10
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
Thanks for explaining that.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
My guess is that it would be the same story on a different cycle with some changes. The changes give hope that the cycle will eventually be broken.
I about scratched a hole in my head wondering how you make a sequel of a cycle.

Last edited by John K; 05-16-2017 at 05:19 AM.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #11
Dazrin
Wizard

Spoiler:
Quote:

Not having read any of the books, that feels very spoilerish to me. Is it?

Last edited by Dazrin; 05-15-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #12
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Sorry about that but it's not especially spoilerish but I'll go ahead and put the spoiler tags around it.

Last edited by BenG; 05-15-2017 at 12:14 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #13
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Sorry about that but it's not especially spoilerish but I'll go ahead and put the spoiler tags around it.
Thank you. Like I said, it may not be a spoiler but I haven't read the books so I wasn't sure.

Unlike the Wheel of Time series where that is up-front and center I hadn't heard anything like that for this series and it changed my perspective on the series at least.