Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Giantcrab
Giantcrab began at the beginning.

Device: HP Touchpad
Searching Through Multiple Epub files at once

Hello,

I wasn't really quite sure where to put this, but I had a question about searching.

I have a large collection of cookbooks, and would like to be able to search within each of them simultaneously for an ingredient. For example, if I'd like to cook chicken, I'd like to be able to search through my collection for each mention of the word chicken in each of the cookbooks without opening each one individually.

Is this possible? So far as I can tell, Calibre only searches through the metadata. If it's not possible, what would be the easiest method in which to accomplish this?

Thanks!
Giantcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
An ePub is essentially a zip file. To search inside it you have to unzip it one way or another first. As far as I know Calibre doesn't handle this. There might be a plugin?

One possible trick could be to convert each cookbook to plain text an then grep for "chicken" inside the text files. Not very elegant, but it should work.

You could keep the text files in Calibre along with the original ePubs and use for instance wingrep (if you are a windows user) to search. The results should tell you which cookbooks to look in.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@GiantCrab - welcome to MobileRead.

Use the Quality Check plugin, it has a "Search ePubs" feature.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Giantcrab
Giantcrab began at the beginning.

Device: HP Touchpad
Cool, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Giantcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 07:20 PM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Also, the Everything I know of doesn't search file contents.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 07:25 PM   #6
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Also, the Everything I know of doesn't search file contents.
um....

https://www.voidtools.com/support/ev...tent_searching
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 07:37 PM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I... did not know that feature existed. That will be helpful for future.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote