Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I bought a pBook yesterday... shhhh

I started reading a new book yesterday and realized it was the 2nd in a series of 3. The first one is not available *anywhere* as an ebook (except on BitTorrent, which I didn't use). The 3rd book will be released in October.

I bought a used paperback of the 1st book on eBay for $1.04 (just under $5 with overpriced media mail shipping).

I try to avoid reading series books where the ebook version is incomplete but I wasn't paying attention.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
It's all right. There are many books that you have to read on paper. And still, even for fictions, if you are interested in things other than the content, you'd better go with a pbook. Sometimes I just enjoy the typography and packaging of the books.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I dunno, I think you need to discuss this mental hiccup with the presiding shrink, Pshryk. Get some help with this paper seperation anxiety.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
... I bought a used paperback ...
I'm going to call the ePolice!

Actually my b-day just past. I received a borders gift card so I can buy Sony eBooks. My family knows I read enjoy my reader.

Ironically I've been wanting a Book that only available in hard back. Chances are I'll be using the card to get that book.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
I started reading a new book yesterday and realized it was the 2nd in a series of 3. The first one is not available *anywhere* as an ebook (except on BitTorrent, which I didn't use). The 3rd book will be released in October.

I bought a used paperback of the 1st book on eBay for $1.04 (just under $5 with overpriced media mail shipping).

I try to avoid reading series books where the ebook version is incomplete but I wasn't paying attention.
I am finding that alot of series are incomplete in ebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I dunno, I think you need to discuss this mental hiccup with the presiding shrink, Pshryk. Get some help with this paper seperation anxiety.
He is probably to busy getting over his last hostage P575 experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I'm going to call the ePolice!

Actually my b-day just past. I received a borders gift card so I can buy Sony eBooks. My family knows I read enjoy my reader.

Ironically I've been wanting a Book that only available in hard back. Chances are I'll be using the card to get that book.

=X=
I did not know you could use Border card on the sony site.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #6
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:

And what might that series be?.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
p-book

I love (ed) buying used books on Amazon....shipping is never more than $3.99, but usually the book is less than half that. I've even paid 1 cent for a book, then had the pay the $3.99 shipping. But I really really wanted that one....a great place for hard to find books. And what was the series?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #8
MsAnthrope
Enthusiast
MsAnthrope is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2, EB-1150
Don't feel bad, you aren't the first. I had to know how the story ended. I bought Space Barbarians, used, off of Amazon. It was fairly inexpensive but when I opened the shipping envelope I had to laugh seeing a 30+ year old paper back with a price of 50 cents printed on the cover. Things certainly have changed.
MsAnthrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnthrope View Post
Don't feel bad, you aren't the first. I had to know how the story ended. I bought Space Barbarians, used, off of Amazon. It was fairly inexpensive but when I opened the shipping envelope I had to laugh seeing a 30+ year old paper back with a price of 50 cents printed on the cover. Things certainly have changed.
For years I didn't even know that "Space Barbarians" existed and as usual the first in the series was the best.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #10
bakerjw
Enthusiast
bakerjw doesn't litterbakerjw doesn't litter

Device: none
Nothing wrong with buying paper. I buy first edition hard covers from a couple of authors that I read regularly.
bakerjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
And what might that series be?.

MaryJanice Davidson's Fred (Fredrica) Bimm the Mermaid series. So far there are only 2 of 3 books out. It's fun fast read.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:55 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post

I did not know you could use Border card on the sony site.

JJ
Hi JJ,
I've never done it, I've only read about it here and on the Sony FAQ site. Here is the link.
Sony FAQ

Funny thing. I've only ever bought 1 book from the Sony Bookstore.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #13
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
"I bought a pBook yesterday"

*Gasp* .... where's my fainting couch?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:47 PM   #14
cush
Virtual Staggerwing Flier
cush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle (and an iMac)
I may be beating a dead armadillo (sorry RickyM!) but this is a problem with ebooks-the first of a series often seems to be missing.

An example is "Cimarron Rose" by James Lee Burke. While not his first book it is the first featuring his character Billy Bob Holland. Burke's books are some of my favorites and I reread them when I want superb writing and a gripping plot. Hopefully publishers will work their way back to the start of their series.

It's understandable that publishers concentrate on new books since that is what sells but it is encouraging that some publishers are going back in their catalog. New readers may "come in" to a series and author by reading a recent release and then want to read the earlier books too.

Others have posted the suggestion that Amazon track those titles that Kindle owners search for in the Kindle Store and fail to find, or provide a check box on a title's page in the regular Amazon Store that we could check requesting "Kindleization". Sounds like a great idea to me-Amazon has a lot more clout that an individual writing to a publisher.
cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #15
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Get over it.

$250, please. You can pay the laddy at the door.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!