Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #106
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
The ONLY thing I'm hoping for is that the new Kindles will retain the possibility to highlight past a single page, whatever controls they need for that, build them in... This makes the Kindle the single most advanced reading device of all available and planned, unless this is not a widely recognized necessity (PDFs don't even support that on the format side), no reader will ever faithfully reproduce the experience of reading on paper where page breaks are just so much less prominent because of that...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #107
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't understand what that even means. What does a "swiping mechanism" have to do with how text is rendered on an ereader? I have no problem if you want to move to a touch system because you prefer it, but don't just make shit up.
There are no pages in our epubs, there is simply a stream of text that flows across our screen. A method for more finely controlling this flow, i.e. a swipe of the thumb across a surface rather than a depression of a thumb against a button would be more aesthetically and physically pleasing to me and perhaps to others.

This would also work towards the abandonment of the idea of pages, with no page turning buttons there would be no need for pages, and no discussion about page numbers... I admit it gets a little abstract here, but if we are to move beyond the book we have to abandon all bookish related concepts.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #108
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
There are no pages in our epubs, there is simply a stream of text that flows across our screen. A method for more finely controlling this flow, i.e. a swipe of the thumb across a surface rather than a depression of a thumb against a button would be more aesthetically and physically pleasing to me and perhaps to others.

This would also work towards the abandonment of the idea of pages, with no page turning buttons there would be no need for pages, and no discussion about page numbers... I admit it gets a little abstract here, but if we are to move beyond the book we have to abandon all bookish related concepts.
When I've finished reading a screen of text I want the whole screen to refresh at once. I don't want to scroll through to the next bit I need to read. Consequently, regardless of whether the document has been formatted in pages, I essentially need to update to the next 'page'.

However, I'm with you on the swipe of the thumb...

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #109
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
What's a good touch interface? I've tried the Sony 950 and it was OK for everything but page turning, if I could have set it to use a tap instead of a swipe for turning I'd likely have been KO with it.
Actually, the swipe is better then the tap. When you tap, you have more chance of seeing fingerprints then you do from the swipe. And with the 650, the swipe doesn't have to be much at all. Just a tiny flick.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #110
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
We concentrate on "page turning" because it represents, by far, the main interaction (and almost only interaction, depending on the individual reader) with the device. The majority of readers spend the overwhelming majority of their eReader time not doing those other things.

I'm a buttonholic. I've tried a myriad of different devices with touch interfaces. I don't care for them... it's that simple. Is that not allowed? It sounds like Amazon (if the reports are true) have recognized the fact that there's a not tiny user base who feel the same way I do, and have decided to respect our wishes. As well as respecting the wishes of those who have buttonphobia. Good for them.
If it's true, I expect the K4 button edition to be the last button edition Kindle as the Touch version seriously outsells the button edition. So Amazon will stop making a button version of the K5.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #111
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I don't understand what that even means. What does a "swiping mechanism" have to do with how text is rendered on an ereader? I have no problem if you want to move to a touch system because you prefer it, but don't just make shit up.
He is saying to do away with page turn buttons because swiping on a touch screen is more like turning the pages of a pBook. He's not making shit up.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #112
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppw View Post
I can hold my K3 and turn pages all with ONE hand. Not sure how would I do that with a touch interface. But maybe a touch interface combined with minimal buttons work the best.
I can hold my 650 with one hand. I just move my thumb and give it a gentle flick on the screen and the page is turned.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #113
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Who reads on a cell phone and uses page turn buttons to do so?
Old 07-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #114
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Who reads on a cell phone and uses page turn buttons to do so?

I do. I have the volume buttons mapped for page turns on my Streak. My grip covers the buttons and I don't have to do more than slightly squeeze one finger to turn forward or back.

And yes, I did watch the development of this phone for months before release because I wanted it to read on.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #115
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Ditto. I do too! I have the volume buttons on my Droid X mapped for page turns, which I prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post

I do. I have the volume buttons mapped for page turns on my Streak. My grip covers the buttons and I don't have to do more than slightly squeeze one finger to turn forward or back.

And yes, I did watch the development of this phone for months before release because I wanted it to read on.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #116
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
He is saying to do away with page turn buttons because swiping on a touch screen is more like turning the pages of a pBook.
If you say so... but that's certainly not how I interpreted it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #117
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
If it's true, I expect the K4 button edition to be the last button edition Kindle as the Touch version seriously outsells the button edition. So Amazon will stop making a button version of the K5.
That's fine. Since I'm still happily using my K2, I've got a long time to worry about it then.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #118
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I must say that having not used a touchscreen ereader, I cannot offer an opinion as to the validity of their functionality, specifically regarding dirty screens. What I would like on my Kindle is just for the page turn buttons to be replaced by a little touchpad that I can swipe up or down to flow the text. I don't know if that would work either, I suppose there would be inadvertent swipes perhaps?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:50 PM   #119
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, the swipe is better then the tap. When you tap, you have more chance of seeing fingerprints then you do from the swipe. And with the 650, the swipe doesn't have to be much at all. Just a tiny flick.
Thanks for telling me that they way I'd prefer it to work is wrong ('cause it's not like I've tried it both ways or anything). I'll sleep better knowing that.

AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:59 AM   #120
Giggleton
Banned

I've actually thought about it a bit more and would like a mind interface to my ereader so that it simply knows when to refresh the screen.

Tags
amazon, kindle, tablet, touch