Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 05:50 AM   #1
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
epub or lrf?

Just wondering what you Sony users prefer? Up till now I've been using epub by default but lrf is Sony's default format, and the thing I like about it is pagination-with epub instead of counting sequentially, as you would a paper book you go from page 10, hit next page and get 10-11, next page 11, so the actual number of pages doesnt reflect the true page count. (Is that fixable in Calibre BTW?)
So which do you prefer and why?
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
EPUB is faster to open, the "10-11" actually being the reason.
LRF has "justify", which is a must have for me.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
Cyclops
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm, I've noticed a few ebooks with dodgy formatting- a whole blank page on one recent book!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
I prefer lrf for my PRS 650. For some reason the font size and the render seems to be better and more easily readable.
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I prefer EPUB because it's easily used on multiple devices. I often use Stanza on my phone to read a short piece in a pinch when I can't have my reader with me.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
Epub is quicker, usually smaller and can be the basis for other conversions at a later date say for a Kindle etc.

Lrf is nicer to look on my PRS-300, but the look, becomes more or less invisible once the story 'takes hold' just like the Digitial Onscreen Graphics of Satelite TV etc.

Dodgy pages are often the result of older 'Rips' of books, often from scanning and conversion from PDF's. LRF's usually were the original 'bought' format so tend to be better formated.

I am an epub only user now.
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
Cyclops

Hmm, which side of the fence to sit on! I do like having the exact page count and lrf does look neater....
Old 03-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
palhudo
palhudo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Mini
I prefer Epub because I can use the same file in my Sony and when reading in several computers using the epubreader extension for Firefox. And in my 650 I didn't notice any difference in quality.
palhudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by palhudo View Post
And in my 650 I didn't notice any difference in quality.
Do you detect a difference in font sizes? I find that the jump from S to M is more rational for lrfs, and is a bit too wide for epubs. I often find that S for lrfs feels easier on the eye than epubs.
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I use both . For public domain books, and Smashwords books( my reader don't like their epubs), I use lrf. The rest of the time I use epub.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I use both formats on my 650...on my 505, I'd convert everything to LRF because I like full justification. I use Calibre to convert files between the formats--and noticed that for some reason, Calibre will often put in blank pages between chapters when a converting a book to LRF.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadubey View Post
I prefer lrf for my PRS 650. For some reason the font size and the render seems to be better and more easily readable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
I do like having the exact page count and lrf does look neater....
+ 1

I convert everything to lrf. Everything.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #13
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
+ 1

I convert everything to lrf. Everything.
sold!
Old 06-23-2011, 04:58 AM   #14
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Can't help but commenting even though the thread is a tad old... Tried both and have slowly switched to .lrf on my 350...just seems to render font size and justification better.... use epub on my Opus... so best of both I suppose....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, lrf, sony