Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #61
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Well, somehow (& I'm not sure how) i have managed to get out of the cycling and am now unrooted and back to version 1.0.0. I wonder if (clutching at starws here) it (the cycling problem) had anything to do with the update never coming in automatically. I had to manually get it and up date.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #62
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
I did the manual update also, Slayda, on two different devices, so far, no problems.

After updating to 1.0.1 last time, were you able to go into the settings screen, Device Info, About your NOOKcolor, and check to make sure the software version was 1.0.1?
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #63
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
Slayda, it was scary when I went through it too. Many people did the manual install, and it's an official process on B&N's page, so that shouldn't be the issue. When I re-rooted I ended up using these instructions, which are more detailed than the ones on the xda page, and have screenshots too.
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...html#post24111
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #64
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
I did the manual update also, Slayda, on two different devices, so far, no problems.

After updating to 1.0.1 last time, were you able to go into the settings screen, Device Info, About your NOOKcolor, and check to make sure the software version was 1.0.1?
Yes, I checked each time I updated - 5 times now & I'm once again back to 1.0.0. For some reason, my NC doesn't like 1.0.1 & when it goes back to 1.0.0 it says "updating".

It's not that hard to do the manual update but I wish it would stay updated. However, having said that, it was the 'trying to update back to 1.0.0' that broke the cycle my rooted NC was in and allowed me to reset doing the 8 times thing. I have small hands for a man & I wonder how many women can hold down the power button & the volume + button while also pressing the "n" button. I was barely able to reach the two first ones with one hand.

Anyway, I am not cycling, am unrooted and currently back again to 1.0.0. I'll stay unrooted for a while until I get my nerve back up. It wasn't the rooting process that scared me but the cycling thing I got into.

Thanks to all here who made suggestions & encouragement.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #65
Ankaa
Enthusiast
Ankaa began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Hey,
I've read the whole thread but I still have some questions. I'm considering rooting my NC, although I already really like it the way it is. I'm not a gamer so I don't care about games, but there are some things I do care about which I hope to gain from rooting.

Hope you could give any suggestions and help. Really appreciate it

If I root my NC, will I still be able to download my books from B&N? Will my magazine subscriptions still update automatically? It said in this thread, that I won't loose my conent already on the NC or if that was the case I could redownload them. But what about subscripitons?

Will the battery life suffer when rooted? I haven't found any comment on that. Somebody asked the question, but it wasn't answered I'm afraid (or I missed it?)

One of the main reasons to root would be that I want a better reader for PDFs. Is there on available in the Android Market, which allows seach, Bookmarks, Markings...?

And then I've read of "Softkeys" the whole time. As I'm not familiar with any Android stuff, could please somebody explain what they are and what they do?

Thanks in advance
Ankaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #66
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankaa View Post
Hey,
I've read the whole thread but I still have some questions. I'm considering rooting my NC, although I already really like it the way it is. I'm not a gamer so I don't care about games, but there are some things I do care about which I hope to gain from rooting.

Hope you could give any suggestions and help. Really appreciate it

If I root my NC, will I still be able to download my books from B&N? Will my magazine subscriptions still update automatically? It said in this thread, that I won't loose my conent already on the NC or if that was the case I could redownload them. But what about subscripitons? You can still download. Subscriptions will be updated automatically.

Will the battery life suffer when rooted? I haven't found any comment on that. Somebody asked the question, but it wasn't answered I'm afraid (or I missed it?) Those who have rooted report that battery life is unaffected. Of course since it's a rooted device, you have the capability to do more stuff than the stock device, thus using more battery.

One of the main reasons to root would be that I want a better reader for PDFs. Is there on available in the Android Market, which allows seach, Bookmarks, Markings...? ezPDF reader is a popular one. Many say it's the best of what's available for Android.

And then I've read of "Softkeys" the whole time. As I'm not familiar with any Android stuff, could please somebody explain what they are and what they do? Many recommend Button Savior instead of SoftKeys now. They both allow you access menu options within the application that normaly wouldn't show. Some have difficulty configuring SoftKeys, others simply don't care for the look of it, I prefer not to use my "n" button so much (SoftKeys makes use of the "n" button). If you use the auto process to root, SoftKeys is installed.

Thanks in advance
See red text. Thanks for reading the thread.

Last edited by SCION; 01-01-2011 at 11:49 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #67
Girl Read Write
Literary Goodness
Girl Read Write began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, Samsung Infuse
I rooted last night using Auto Nooter. I got a couple of errors but was eventually able to get the YouTube procedure to work, and now YouTube performs just fine on my nook.

Gmail works fine, also, and so does the Android Market. Google Maps is also workin for me. However, I can't get Google Books to work! Is there anything I can do without re-rooting? Google Books forces close. I've tried rebooting the nook and that doesn't work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :-) I'm having fun with it so far, and I really don't want to have to factory restore and then root again.
Girl Read Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #68
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Read Write View Post
I rooted last night using Auto Nooter. I got a couple of errors but was eventually able to get the YouTube procedure to work, and now YouTube performs just fine on my nook.

Gmail works fine, also, and so does the Android Market. Google Maps is also workin for me. However, I can't get Google Books to work! Is there anything I can do without re-rooting? Google Books forces close. I've tried rebooting the nook and that doesn't work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :-) I'm having fun with it so far, and I really don't want to have to factory restore and then root again.
Google Books not working is one of the tell tale signs that something went wrong during the root process. Perhaps someone who had this problem will chime in on how they corrected it (without rerooting).

My advice is to enable Market manually which will restore functionality with all things Google, but I know many don't want to go that route. If this is the case, your only option would be to do a factory reset and reroot.

Edit: You may also want to check the permission settings for the app to ensure that User has Read/Write/Execute access. I read on another forum that this cleared up the force close thing for an app. Can't recall which one.

Last edited by SCION; 01-01-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #69
Girl Read Write
Literary Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Google Books not working is one of the tell tale signs that something went wrong during the root process. Perhaps someone who had this problem will chime in on how they corrected it (without rerooting).

My advice is to enable Market manually which will restore functionality with all things Google, but I know many don't want to go that route. If this is the case, your only option would be to do a factory reset and reroot.

Edit: You may also want to check the permission settings for the app to ensure that User has Read/Write/Execute access. I read on another forum that this cleared up the force close thing for an app. Can't recall which one.
Okay, thanks a bunch. I'll check the permissions, and let you know how it goes.

*crosses fingers*

One more question, this might be a little silly, though: If I keep using the Nook and Google books doesn't work (which means I rooted incorrectly), would that damage the Nook, or interfere with any other applications working? I could be "just fine" not using Google Books, but would you recommend my using the nook in its current "badly rooted" state if all Google apps don't work well? I guess I'm asking, what's the worst that could happen?

Thanks in advance, again.

Last edited by Girl Read Write; 01-01-2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: add question
Old 01-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #70
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Read Write View Post
Okay, thanks a bunch. I'll check the permissions, and let you know how it goes.

*crosses fingers*

One more question, this might be a little silly, though: If I keep using the Nook and Google books doesn't work (which means I rooted incorrectly), would that damage the Nook, or interfere with any other applications working? I could be "just fine" not using Google Books, but would you recommend my using the nook in its current "badly rooted" state if all Google apps don't work well? I guess I'm asking, what's the worst that could happen?

Thanks in advance, again.
There's nothing to worry about. You just won't have a functioning app. You can uninstall it, so you won't be reminded of the root thing.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #71
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
Sorry, yeah, I had to re-root to get Google Books to work. I have to say everything else worked fine in spite of it, but I thought it better to be safe and make sure I'd done everything properly.
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #72
crmldlyte
Phenoma-mama
crmldlyte began at the beginning.

Device: Nookcolor (not yet rooted)
bump for reference
crmldlyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #73
Girl Read Write
Literary Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
There's nothing to worry about. You just won't have a functioning app. You can uninstall it, so you won't be reminded of the root thing.
Gotcha.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #74
Ankaa
Enthusiast
Ankaa began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Thanks a lot Scion!

I'm afraid I still don't quite get the Softkeys thing. Could somebody maybe post a picture?
Can they be disabeled or deinstalled after (auto)rooting?

And then, if using another homescreen than the standard nook one, will one still get the Nook screen symbol (the one which opens the menue "library, extras, settings...").
What does it look like anyway?

I've googled for pictures of rooted NCs, but most I get is only "Angry birds"
Ankaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #75
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankaa View Post
Thanks a lot Scion!

I'm afraid I still don't quite get the Softkeys thing. Could somebody maybe post a picture?
Can they be disabeled or deinstalled after (auto)rooting?

And then, if using another homescreen than the standard nook one, will one still get the Nook screen symbol (the one which opens the menue "library, extras, settings...").
What does it look like anyway?

I've googled for pictures of rooted NCs, but most I get is only "Angry birds"
Read this thread for info/pics on SoftKeys:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=klondike

Yes, no matter what home screen you use, that menu at the bottom of the screen remains.

People have shared pics of their desktops:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=desktop