Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
nookcolor vs iPad vs Kindle3

OK - the nookcolor has a much more sophisticated Web browser than the Kindle3. The nookcolor handles photographs in texts better than the Kindle3. With Android OS v2.2 possibly coming in 2Q 2011, the nookcolor's battery life will improve ...

nookcolor owners - for "basic" WiFi Web access -and-, of course, reading - are you pleased with your device as compared to, say, an iPad? I know that's an un-fair comparison to ask of you ... but at half the price of an iPad, it seems like there's an awful lot of power and features in the nookcolor.

Clint Bradford
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:34 AM   #2
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Comparing the NookColour to the Ipad, would probably be better than comparing it to the Kindle3.. The kindle is a dedicated ebook reader.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
nookcolor owners - for "basic" WiFi Web access -and-, of course, reading - are you pleased with your device as compared to, say, an iPad? I know that's an un-fair comparison to ask of you ... but at half the price of an iPad, it seems like there's an awful lot of power and features in the nookcolor.
I'm satisfied. I think the NC is the best tablet out there for the money. Once 2.2 arrives next month, it'll be even better.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:46 AM   #4
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
How did the "update in January" thing get so wide-spread? From B&N's PR department:

"B&N plans to update the OS sometime in 2011. Regarding applications, we are committed to the NOOKdeveloper program and on track to add apps to our store in early 2011, but do not have plans enable Android Marketplace at this time."

I had originally heard Q1 2011, until one of the gadget sites started touting "January" (and I'm sorry, I don't remember which one it was). I'd hate to see a lot of folks get peeved at B&N if the update doesn't occur in January. On the other hand, if it does I'll be among some very pleased people.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
How did the "update in January" thing get so wide-spread? From B&N's PR department:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/14/n...ry-current-ha/
Old 12-20-2010, 07:19 AM   #6
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Yep, there it is: "And, thankfully, there might be a much easier way coming, with Barnes & Noble reportedly telling Smartphone Mag that Android 2.2 will be officially coming to the Nook Color in January."

Thanks for the link, and I still am not going to get my hopes up...
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Engadget said two things would happen in January - upgrade to 2.2 and Android Market access. The article was then updated when B&N corrected them and said there wouldn't be Android Market access (just a B&N app store as they reported since day one). Since B&N didn't correct Engadget on the January release of 2.2, I'm assuming that part of the article is true.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:56 AM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I'm rather interested in how this discussion turns out. I have nothing against any of the mentioned readers but simply do not want to pay that much for an ereader. If all readers costs what I want to pay $100, I would probably buy the Nook Color of the three simply becuase its touch screen. I am wondering what Kindle owners have to say to the chalenge in this thread.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
You're comparing Apples, Oranges, and Grapes. An unrooted NOOKcolor is not comparable to an iPad at all. And a Kindle shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence with non-eink devices.

Last edited by SCION; 12-20-2010 at 09:38 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you take the time to root the Nook Color I just don't see how it can be beat. Bottom line...you have yourself a tablet with an eReader program on it. And if you are like me and had already bought a Kindle 3, you just add the Kindle app to your Nook Color and now you can read ALL your books on once device.

About the only ding I give it is battery...mine lasts anywhere from 7 - 9 hours I would say. That's with surfing the web and reading and playing some games. I haven't tried watching a full movie yet. I would like to see a bit more battery life out of it...a solid and reliable 10 hours of movies would make me a very happy person. I've gotten used to just charging mine every night.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
...a solid and reliable 10 hours of movies would make me a very happy person...
Well, anything is possible in 2020.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #12
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I have a stock (un rooted) nook color. Web browsing is really solid. At home I have an excellent signal on wifi router. Pages load very fast, web pages are the PC pages are not mobile (big plus). Viewing in landscape is very nice. Flash support is supposedly on the way with the update. Comparing it to the iPad, well you have a 7 inch screen compared to a 10 inch, so take it for what it's worth.

now comparing the iPad to the nookcolor for strickly reading? IMHO, the nook color wins hands down. It's an entire OS User Interface designed for ereading and ereading enhancements. The contrast and screen is sharper, the 7 inch screen size really shines in the form factor and portability as opposed to the larger 10 inch screen. letters appear crisper. Organziation is among if not the best. If weight bothers you (it' doesn't me) but it appears to have affect on some. The iPad weighs as much as a 400 + hardcover the nook color about a 200 page hardcover.
The Shop App on the nook color is the best shopping on a device experience you'll have. I'm not just saying that, the iBookstore is good, but the Nook ShoP store App is the most polished and refined. It's a joy to use.

so when comparing the nook color to the iPad agagin IMHO the nook color wins hands down because it's operating system UI is totally geared towards the top to bottom reading functionality. It brings out options and features and quickness that eink devices just can't match or reproduce at this time.

hope this helps.

Good luck

Last edited by boswd; 12-20-2010 at 11:08 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #13
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... How did the "update in January" thing get so wide-spread?

SmartPhoneMag mis-reported that 12/14. Then TeleRead re-posted the mis-information. And so on and so on ...
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

I don't consider Engadget a reliable source, period....

Like others mentioned, the Kindle is an eInk device and the NC and iPad are LCD devices. Also the Kindle uses MOBI format and thus inline images are not displayed as well they would be in an ePub. So that is another unfair comparison.

The way I look at it, for the price of the least expensive iPad at $500, I was able to purchase both a NC ($250) and a Sony PRS-950 ($250). I've got the best of both worlds with these two, as far as reading goes. The iPad never appealed to me because of it's size/weight and the very limited iOS4 and the lack of standard ports and SD card slots. The iPad screen is not very good for reading IMO. You get the same resolution in a smaller package with the NC which translates into more pixels per inch and less distance between pixels, which makes it easier on the eyes. Apple can keep their proprietary iPad. As far as loading and sideloading books and documents, both the NC and the 950 are easy to load up right out of the box whereas you have to jump through hoops with the iPad.

Now IF Apple would introduce a 7" iPad with a more powerful and useful OS and charge $250, they might get my attention. But we all know that won't happen. I view the iPad as little more than a toy. It is NOT a dedicated reader like the Kindles, Sonys, and Nooks. It does a lot of things, but does not do well the things that are of interest to me. If you want to play, get an iPad. If you want to read, get a dedicated reader or a printed book.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-20-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>> ... How did the "update in January" thing get so wide-spread?

SmartPhoneMag mis-reported that 12/14. Then TeleRead re-posted the mis-information. And so on and so on ...
And B&N never corrected Engadget.