Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #151
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are they legit? There's an awful lot of pirated material on Scribd.
I would doubt they are legit if they aren't available in the Kindle or iTunes stores.

Hopefully, now that they have released the crown jewel of the Zelazny backlist, Lord of Light, I am hopeful that they will be bit quicker with the rest. It was a bit over a year from book 5 of the Amber series and Lord of Light. I think there are less than 10 of his novels that haven't been released as ebooks (the last 5 Amber books, Creatures of Light and Darkness (one of my favorites), The Changing Land (another favorite), Changeling (odd since the sequel, Madwand, has been available for a while) plus a bunch of short story collections. I think that many of the short stories are available.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:56 AM   #152
Lparsons21
Enthusiast
Lparsons21 walks where angels fear to fly.Lparsons21 walks where angels fear to fly.Lparsons21 walks where angels fear to fly.Lparsons21 walks where angels fear to fly.Lparsons21 walks where angels fear to fly.Lparsons21 walks where angels fear to fly.Lparsons21 walks where angels fear to fly.Lparsons21 walks where angels fear to fly.Lparsons21 walks where angels fear to fly.Lparsons21 walks where angels fear to fly.Lparsons21 walks where angels fear to fly.

Device: iPad mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are they legit? There's an awful lot of pirated material on Scribd.

I have no idea, how would one know? But I did some looking on Scribd and Amazon and the few titles I checked showed up on both places.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:25 AM   #153
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lparsons21 View Post
I have no idea, how would one know? But I did some looking on Scribd and Amazon and the few titles I checked showed up on both places.
Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant that there were books at Scribd that weren't available at mainstream book sellers. That would be very suspicious.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:14 PM   #154
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro 2018, Lg Gpad 8.3, Nexus7.2, Note 8, Kobo Aura 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Many of us prefer an e-ink screen, but will read on a tablet or phone when necessary.

Many Zelazny books are are also available on Hoopla, another ebook lending app that can be accessed for free through many public libraries.
Hoopla is such a terrible app for reading that I don't even borrow library books that use it!
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:57 AM   #155
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Don't buy this eBook. It's not legitimate. It's anther of those bogus uploads since Amazon's system is very broken. I think Amazon needs stop allowing eBooks to be posted until they are checked out by humans (no computer AI).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:04 AM   #156
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't buy this eBook. It's not legitimate. It's anther of those bogus uploads since Amazon's system is very broken. I think Amazon needs stop allowing eBooks to be posted until they are checked out by humans (no computer AI).
What reasoning do you have to say that it is not legitimate?
What appears to be exactly the same eBook is also available on Kobo (https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/lord-of-light-7), so I'm not sure the Amazon attack is warranted.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:04 AM   #157
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I would doubt they are legit if they aren't available in the Kindle or iTunes stores.

Hopefully, now that they have released the crown jewel of the Zelazny backlist, Lord of Light, I am hopeful that they will be bit quicker with the rest. It was a bit over a year from book 5 of the Amber series and Lord of Light. I think there are less than 10 of his novels that haven't been released as ebooks (the last 5 Amber books, Creatures of Light and Darkness (one of my favorites), The Changing Land (another favorite), Changeling (odd since the sequel, Madwand, has been available for a while) plus a bunch of short story collections. I think that many of the short stories are available.
The copy of Lord of Light at Amazon is bogus. It's another illegal upload. Whoever they are, they are pirates. They are not publishers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:59 AM   #158
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The copy of Lord of Light at Amazon is bogus. It's another illegal upload. Whoever they are, they are pirates. They are not publishers.
I'm thinking that Zelazny's son hasn't hoisted the Jolly Roger quite yet. From the copyright page of the ebook

© 2018 Amber Ltd.

Layout © Trent Zelazny

just saying.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #159
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook ST w/Glowlight, Nook Glowlight Plus, Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I'm thinking that Zelazny's son hasn't hoisted the Jolly Roger quite yet. From the copyright page of the ebook

© 2018 Amber Ltd.

Layout © Trent Zelazny

just saying.
That Trent Zelazny always seemed shifty to me...

I'd hope a pirate upload would have a better cover. I know nothing about the costs involved, but yuck what an ugly cover the current ebook has.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 02-20-2019 at 11:11 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #160
pwalker8
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That Trent Zelazny always seemed shifty to me...

I'd hope a pirate upload would have a better cover. I know nothing about the costs involved, but yuck what an ugly cover the current ebook has.
A pirate upload would likely use a scan of the original cover. I agree on the cover comment. I prefer the original cover. Ebook cover art can be anywhere from really good to absolutely awful. I've noticed a lot either looks like they dressed up one of their buddies on a costume and used their phone to take the picture, or are using some Magna art program.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #161
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
if the Scribd books are in the 'Books' section (not Documents), they should be legit
newkindlefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #162
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, HDX 8.9, AuraHD, NookHD+, Kindle 2,3,T, Opus, iPhone 6, +
Quote:
Based on what? Are you trying to say the other Zelazny books from the same publisher, Amber Ltd, are not legit either?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #163
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
The book https://www.amazon.com/Lord-Light-Ro.../dp/B07MSJZDFX looks like a legitimate offering to me. Amber Ltd is the publisher that Zelazny's son seems to be running.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:54 PM   #164
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I think the Amber Ltd ebooks are probably legit, but I don't blame anyone for being suspicious when the ebooks are crudely constructed(*) and the publisher doesn't seem to even have a website.

(* Edit: e.g. a large number of different paragraph styles each with slightly different margin sizes, as if they are trying to simulate the exact ragged-right alignment of each paragraph in the original.)

Last edited by GeoffR; 02-20-2019 at 05:13 PM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:52 PM   #165
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook ST w/Glowlight, Nook Glowlight Plus, Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
...I don't blame anyone for being suspicious when the ebooks are crudely constructed(*)...

(* Edit: e.g. a large number of different paragraph styles each with slightly different margin sizes, as if they are trying to simulate the exact ragged-right alignment of each paragraph in the original.)
In a case like that, I always suspect that the source was a pirate-scanned book. The publisher should clean up the code, but it may be beyond them (say, if Zelazny's son is running the show).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote