Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-29-2019, 05:23 AM   #1
HermesPan
HermesPan began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung tablet A & most basic Kindle (4)
Luddite several days per week

I like the advantages of audio and e-books but I am not comfortable w/ electronic devices and am especially concerned about electronic privacy.

It seems my choices are mass market and cheap hardware and software (Apple, Android) but I am skeptical of the big corporations as much as I am skeptical about big government. However the alternative of buying devices with cash, using gift cards, changing payment methods etc is just to James Bond hassle. I am looking for a simple streamlined solution for non-techies like myself. I am not going to reboot and do technical stuff like that.

Having visited Mainland China (PRC) I am disturbed by the changes I see in commercial transactions being so integrated with government-issued ID and even now a system of 'social credits' . I fear that the USA, UK and other Anglo nations are headed in the same direction.

So, I want to use my e/a book with some semblance of privacy. But without becoming obsessive about it.
HermesPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:47 PM   #2
princeyann
princeyann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.princeyann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.princeyann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.princeyann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.princeyann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.princeyann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.princeyann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.princeyann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.princeyann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.princeyann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.princeyann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 3 and K4
Brazil is in the same bag as China. USA might still be salvageable, or so I hope.

Best of luck.
princeyann is offline   Reply With Quote