Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
JohnB
Enthusiast
JohnB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, iPAQ 4700, Rocket Ebook, BlackBerry
Booklight Number 5 or 6 or so

Okay, another round of booklight decision-making for me.

I have this one, a Great Point Flex-Neck, and while it's just about perfect for paper books, isn't bright enough, and doesn't have large enough coverage for the Sony reader when in full darkness (I use it, but it's a struggle). It has 2 LEDs:

Someone said this was their favorite so far, Energizer Trim Flex, but it's not obvious that it's any brighter than the Flex-Neck, or has good coverage:

Some people have this, Great Point 3 LED Book Light, and it looks promising - any comments on it? Too bright? Good coverage?:

Then there's this, Great Point ReLight, with 4 LEDs, rechargeable (great!), but it may be too heavy/bulky, and the curved lens makes me think it may cast light everywhere:

I don't want to try more lights without a little assurance - my wife already thinks I've got a ridiculous number of book/flashlights. I'm not interested in head or ear-mount lamps - those just don't work for me.

Thanks for any input!
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I have the 3 LED one (it's not branded "Great Point" but looks exactly the same) and while it mostly works...
1) it's pretty hard to set up without getting a glaring reflection in the first few lines at the top
2) it's about impossible to get an evenly lit page. You get either okay top and dark bottom or vice versa.
I'm thinking that something with a flexible neck would work better but this light is not that bad that I need to get a new one.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
I have the 3 LED one (it's not branded "Great Point" but looks exactly the same) and while it mostly works...
1) it's pretty hard to set up without getting a glaring reflection in the first few lines at the top
2) it's about impossible to get an evenly lit page. You get either okay top and dark bottom or vice versa.
I'm thinking that something with a flexible neck would work better but this light is not that bad that I need to get a new one.
This problem is way less if you clip it on the right side of the reader. Also takes care of the glare.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:16 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB
Some people have this, Great Point 3 LED Book Light, and it looks promising - any comments on it? Too bright? Good coverage?:
This is the one I bought @ Borders. Doesn't work too well, it's too dim and doesn't cover the entire screen. When I first bought it I thought it was great - but no, now I think there must be better solutions than this one.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:50 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not sure I see the point of these. Is it not less hassle to simply use a "conventional" reading lamp? Are these lights sold for reading in dim places away from home, or what? Sorry if this is a silly question, but I can't, off-hand, think of any situation in which I'd want to read where an "external" light source isn't readily available!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2007, 08:55 AM   #6
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
I'm not sure I see the point of these. Is it not less hassle to simply use a "conventional" reading lamp? Are these lights sold for reading in dim places away from home, or what? Sorry if this is a silly question, but I can't, off-hand, think of any situation in which I'd want to read where an "external" light source isn't readily available!

The wife.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Ah, I see
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:45 PM   #8
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
I wonder how one of these would work? Or we just in the same old boat.

http://www.amazon.com/Phorm-Light-Vo...&s=home-garden

http://www.amazon.com/GOLD-CREST-INC...UTF8&s=kitchen
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:57 PM   #9
JohnB
Enthusiast
JohnB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, iPAQ 4700, Rocket Ebook, BlackBerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
I wonder how one of these would work? Or we just in the same old boat.

http://www.amazon.com/Phorm-Light-Vo...&s=home-garden

http://www.amazon.com/GOLD-CREST-INC...UTF8&s=kitchen
They look like another 2 contenders. The Phorm Light is interesting - not sure what kind of "bulb" it has, but it claims
Quote:
...cool, focused beam as it spreads across both pages. The light is glare-free...
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:39 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ouch! 4 AA that last 10~15 hours? I'd guess some sort of incandescent bulb.

Nope: found a bit more info here:

Quote:
This foldable, flourescent booklight provides an amazing 10,000 hours of bright, focused light.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:44 AM   #11
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I finally wanted to read last night when it was dark when Hubby was watching something that I did not want to watch. My little gooseneck one light was just not enough......It just doesn't light up the whole screen so that thing wedgelight is pushing for the reader will not be any better. I mean we have three light lights here that are not lighting up the screen well enough.

I have this at my desk for the early mornings, my keyboard is black and until I get my fingers on the right keys, I am lost, LOL....... but if someone could make something like this, it would work.... I also hope this doesn't burn out, seems you can't get it anymore..... yes this is also me doing a review on this light below.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507
Old 02-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been looking at playing with the CCFL type light used there, and it seems to be a real power hog.

I did find a flashlight by Energizer that includes a CCFL in it, but I think I saw somewhere that it only runs something like 7~10 hours on a set of 4 AA's. They're also about $25~30, so I'm not eager to buy one just to tear it apart.

I'm checking the local electronic parts stores, to see if I can get a better idea of how they work, but so far nothing much -- there are only a few things I miss about being in Silicon Valley, the killer e-parts stores are one of them.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #13
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Makes me think of using something like this, LOL..... now don't laugh, it would probably work.

http://www.action-lights.com/flashli...eadsuplite.asp
Old 02-07-2007, 11:44 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

I expect it'd work at least as well as some of the 'ear-clip' lights that several MobileReaders have used.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #15
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

I have been looking online for some. There was one from amazon and lady said her hubby used it to read books at night with and it was great, just that it goes through batteries too fast. I remember the DH having something that fit on your face like glasses and on each side of them was a flashlight......

wondering where in the heck those puppies disapeared too, I want to see them NOW! LOL.

Tags
bug light booklight