Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Do you allow fan fiction of your works?

Hey, I was just wondering something. Do you, as writers, allow people to create fan fiction from your stories? I myself love it, and actually encourage it. The only rules I have are:

1. If you're creating fan fiction, please try to keep as close to existing cannon as possible.
2. If you are giving it away for free, you're welcome to do pretty much anything you want story wise. Just try to be reasonable on your subject matter and story. Also, be sure to give credit to me as the creator of the book/series on which this is based.
3. If it will be a commercial work of fan fiction, you must have written permission in order to do it.

And an optional 4th rule is, "If you're creating a free fan fiction based on my writings, please let me know, because I'd be interested in reading it. (or viewing it if it's fan art) You don't *have* to, but it is appreciated if you do."

So, with that said, what do you guys usually do in regards to fan fiction?
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #2
Greenkeeper
Connoisseur
Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'd be flattered to have good fan fiction of my work (and yes, I have stumbled upon this rare and elusive creature once or twice over the years). Ditto on your rules, though. I don't want people sneaking around and not crediting me for the characters/setting, and I certainly don't want others making money off my ideas without my consent. Of course, if your ideas are good and your work is well written my consent might actually be pretty easy to get.
Greenkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
I can honestly say I've never encountered anyone writing fanfic based on my stories... but then since I've only been putting stories out there for a very brief time, it would be rather remarkable if I had!

Would I object? Not to the concept of fanfic, per se. If it was creative, well-written, and properly attributed - preferably linking to my works, where available - fan fiction would even feel like a nice tribute.

Are there situations and settings for which I would not want my characters used? You betcha.

- M.

Edit: If I ever do encounter fanfic based on my stories, and I like what I read, I'll be happy to link to it from my own (in-progress... not there yet!) website.

Last edited by Vintage Season; 06-07-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:06 AM   #4
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Hey, I was just wondering something. Do you, as writers, allow people to create fan fiction from your stories? I myself love it, and actually encourage it. The only rules I have are:

1. If you're creating fan fiction, please try to keep as close to existing cannon as possible.
2. If you are giving it away for free, you're welcome to do pretty much anything you want story wise. Just try to be reasonable on your subject matter and story. Also, be sure to give credit to me as the creator of the book/series on which this is based.
3. If it will be a commercial work of fan fiction, you must have written permission in order to do it.

And an optional 4th rule is, "If you're creating a free fan fiction based on my writings, please let me know, because I'd be interested in reading it. (or viewing it if it's fan art) You don't *have* to, but it is appreciated if you do."

So, with that said, what do you guys usually do in regards to fan fiction?
Sorry, but what is FanFiction... I thought it was just a 'term', like Romance???
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:25 AM   #5
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
Fan Fiction is fiction written by fans of a particular author's work that employs the same characters in new adventures.

The only fan fiction I ever wrote was a short story exploring the fate of "Bill the Pony" (Lord of the Rings) after the Fellowship enters Moria (Khazad Dhum).

It would be ludicrous for someone to write a fan fiction for a nobody like me, but it would certainly amuse me and I wouldn't mind one bit.
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I decided to broach the question of fan fiction after someone asked me if they could use one of my short stories as part of a single chapter manga. So I figured to see if anyone else has had that happen yet.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Not only would I allow it, I would take the concepts of my liking to use them in my work. I like the concept of "Fanon" and the writer and his/her fans swapping ideas.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Fanon. Wow, I like that word. Someone ought to add that to either wikipedia, or some writing terminology encyclopedia.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Fanon. Wow, I like that word. Someone ought to add that to either wikipedia, or some writing terminology encyclopedia.
It is of course added. I've taken the word from an unfairly unknown site: TVTropes. A F**g-class site. Beware, your life may slip from your fingers as you browse it...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Fanon has a long and rich history in fanfiction.

As a longtime fanfic reader & occasional writer, I'm always fascinated by non-fanfic authors' opinions about it.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #11
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
Quote:
I'm going to have to disagree with your first rule.

Fanfiction by essence is another individuals interpretation of your or whomever's work. By stating that you want them to keep as close to the existing canon is pretty much asking them to rewrite what you have already stated in their own words.

But, I do get what you are getting at. Fanfiction is littered with countless stories of self inserts and other complete departures from source material making them less of a tribute to these works and more of a mockery. Fanfiction should stick to its roots, and that is the world that the original author has created. If an author of fanfiction decides to defer from the original then I feel they should themselves iterate why, rather than as most commonly found, say that this is there personal preference and think it should be this way.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Yeah, I don't mind if they reimagine a few things, but large deviations is what I'm trying to avoid. Not that they won't happen, but if I can head off any, then that's good.

Last edited by Steven Lake; 06-09-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:00 AM   #13
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASparrow View Post
Fan Fiction is fiction written by fans of a particular author's work that employs the same characters in new adventures.

The only fan fiction I ever wrote was a short story exploring the fate of "Bill the Pony" (Lord of the Rings) after the Fellowship enters Moria (Khazad Dhum).

It would be ludicrous for someone to write a fan fiction for a nobody like me, but it would certainly amuse me and I wouldn't mind one bit.
OK... thanks for the heads up... I really thought it stood for 'Fantastic Fiction'..
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #14
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Yeah, I don't mind if they reimagine a few things, but large deviations is what I'm trying to avoid. Not that they won't happen, but if I can head off any, then that'd good.
Fanfic authors are almost universally opposed to "out of character" interpretations. (They disagree *wildly* on what "in character" and "out of character" mean, for any given character, but they're fairly united as being against the OOC side of things.)

But they love to experiment with what-ifs and might-have-beens and crossovers: what if Kirk & Spock weren't Starfleet officers, but pirates? What if Hogwarts weren't a magic school, but a ninja school? What if Boromir hadn't died; how would the rest of the story have been different? What if Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark went to the same college?

And that's before we get into the personality changes & alternate interpretations. What if Legolas, not Arwen, were the love of Aragorn's life? What if Dumbledore were an evil mastermind trying to take Voldemort's place? What if Holmes has been quietly lusting after Watson for years? (I read a lot of slash.)

Then there's the just-for-fun "crackfic." As in, "the author's brain is cracked." Nazgul dressed like can-can dancers under their robes. Harry Potter, last son of Krypton, defeats Voldemort with his heat vision when his powers kick in. Star Trek: The Gilbert-and-Sullivan musical. Nobody thinks those are realistic or plausible; they just want to have fun playing with the ideas.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #15
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Fanfic authors are almost universally opposed to "out of character" interpretations. (They disagree *wildly* on what "in character" and "out of character" mean, for any given character, but they're fairly united as being against the OOC side of things.)
I think that is being a little too generous. Although I am sure a great deal of fanfic authors do disagree with out of character interpretations, it doesn't stop it from happening.

But saying they are universally opposed, I just don't see that. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but as most commonly found at the utter mess of fanfiction.net there are just as many OOC stories, overpowered OC inserts and more that plague the realm.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote