Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
jee
Enthusiast
jee began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe
For academic purposes

OK, it’s time to buy a good reader. I’ve been lurking on here for days, or even weeks, trying to figure out which one would be the best choice for me. Price range < $550.

I need a reader for academic purposes, one with a bigger screen (at least 8’’, but preferably even larger), freehand drawing and note taking option, the simplest web browser (for Wikipedia), and it would be great if it supported a USB keyboard.

First, I fell in love with the Entourage Edge, but the main objective is its weight. Besides, I don’t really need a LCD screen, I’d prefer something thinner and lighter.

The second one I considered is the Irex Iliad (1st edition refurbished), and the big plus here is its price (only 250 euros). But, it seems its screen is very fragile, and it’s considered outdated.

Then, I was considering the Copia 9’’ readers, as well as big-screened Netronix, and Asus DR 950, but the release date of all SiPix based ereaders is delayed. Is there any chance they be released by late June?

Thanks in advance!
jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
exapted
exapted began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jee View Post
First, I fell in love with the Entourage Edge, but the main objective is its weight. Besides, I don’t really need a LCD screen, I’d prefer something thinner and lighter.
The edge seems to have only 8 grey scales, which is kind of a deal breaker for me, considering the number of scanned documents I plan to read. I have tried 8-level e-ink displays, and the results have not been satisfactory. Grey dots everywhere (with a scanned pdf). With 16 levels, scanned documents seem to look somewhat better. I haven't exactly done a double-blind study, but anyway that was my one-off experience that led me to order a reader with a better display.
exapted is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Well, you can count the large screen e-ink based devices (8") by the fingers on one hand: iLiad, iRex DR800S(G), iRex 1000S and Entourage Edge.

Officially, Sipix based devices won't be available before September 2010.
And it seems that the only two devices, which may hit the market before September are Dittobook D9 (9.7") and Onyx Boox 90 (?).
Don't know about the Que.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote