Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-02-2006, 10:04 AM   #16
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
To me this looks mighty strange...
iRex is already behind schedule again, only 2 days after they put up the schedule...I just don't get it.
This is one of those infuriating cases where there are people with money who want to give it to a company that has devices to sell...but the deal can never be made.

I would like to buy a device, you have devices...yeah...so no deal...right you are...

I really hope the chinese do a better job...the V8 device seems to be okay (looking forward to your review TaKir) so the V2 should work out well.
My only concern is that they have to market through local "resellers" that might mess up the deal with long delays and bad pricing...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:15 AM   #17
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Err CommanderROR, I don't see how that makes then further behind schedule.

They said that they were only goin to invite their B2B partners to place orders in June.

Doesn't say when those orders will be shipped.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2006, 12:06 PM   #18
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
well who know when they will actually start shipping...^^
the lady on the phone just said that they'll be deaöing with b2b customers in July...and they wrote that they'll be contacting their b2b partners individually in june...maybe it was a simple misunderstanding...I'm getting a bit...paranoid...about their statements.:-)
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:36 PM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
I'm getting a bit...paranoid...about their statements.:-)
Take a deep breath ... hold it ... let it out, now isn't that better, Commander?

I don't think we'll get any movement out of them at least this month, maybe we need a break after all the (self-induced?) hype of the last month or two to get a bit of perspective.

I don't think they set out to deliberately deceive anyone, but it's appears that they held the "line" for some time after they knew it wasn't going to happen that way. That certainly moved them into the realm of the dishonest, but at least it wasn't premeditated deception.

I think they're probably doing the best they can ... on everything except (prospective) customer relations. 'Course it's entirely possible that they've been completely forthcoming with their identified B2B customers, and we little people have just gotten left out, possibly due to a feverish focus on delivering for the B2B's. (I get the impresion that they don't have a very large staff -- and possibly no means to hire one without actual revenue)

I do agree that it shows a lack of interest, if not disdain, for the individual person customers, which I don't think serves them well. However, it may be more of a comment on the current (presumed) misplacement of their attention than on their fundamental business practices and reliability.

In any case, since we don't seem to have any choice but to wait, I guess I'll just wait. Maybe Phillips will bring out its roll-up device before the rest of these folks get their acts together. Wouldn't that be nice?

Last edited by NatCh; 06-02-2006 at 12:40 PM.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:24 PM   #20
Riocaz
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

*drools*

Yes please
Advert
Old 06-03-2006, 08:53 AM   #21
Drops
Connoisseur
Drops began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I do agree that it shows a lack of interest, if not disdain, for the individual person customers, which I don't think serves them well. However, it may be more of a comment on the current (presumed) misplacement of their attention than on their fundamental business practices and reliability.

I have sent a request as a rep. of a company, didn't get any answers. Looks like their customer service is completly overloaded or very bad - or both.
Drops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:58 AM   #22
dasoulseeker
dasoulseeker began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, DR1000s
I agree that there are definitely A LOT of people whom are willing to buy the unfinished product. We are used to mess around with things and since updating is possible, no problem at all. I mean they could even put it on Ebay and it would sell out in a flash. Irex wouldn't be losing out since this would only produce good publicity (if they declare it's not complete, us geek buyers are used to crashes.) We wouldn't be losing out (DUH), and it would even get more buyers since it's like knowing that you are before other people(heh you know what I'm talking about.) Not a lot of buyers except commercially supported uses; rich buy-everything-expensive-people and us geeks (lol) would buy it for such a high price, anyway.
dasoulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:10 AM   #23
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Henrycat: Does the iLiad read SD Cards or just MMC?

Thanks for the info.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:37 AM   #24
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I feel that I am the resident pessimist here. I am not usually that way but I am very disappointed in status of this device. I think that it will be the peverbial carrot that will forever be dangled. I think that iRex seriously over-estimated this device, and now are putting patches on it to keep it afloat. The concept of it is from the sentiment on these forums very appealing to the gadget hounds which still represents a very large consumer base. The ball has been solidly dropped by iRex.

I see the company unable to address the issues of the device, interest in it from the "consumer" end will wane due to the slipshod and unprofessional manner in which the company has been marketing and communicating to their potential clientele about the device. Their B2B customers will be solidly disappointed in the performance, the "consumer" version will NOT have "enhanced capability" and will possibly be stripped of the features that appeal to us now. One thing that I find and enigma is that the IDS newspaper feeds does not seem to me to be much of a B2B function as much as a consumer one, but yet that appears to be dropped from the "superior" consumer product.

By the time they get the device out to the open market it will be this time next year. It will be woefully obsolete and another device will trump it on the market. That or the device will be relegated to the junk heap and the company sold to other markets before the close of next year.

I really wanted to get one of these things in my hot little hands, but I at this point doubt that it will ever come to fruition.

I hope I am wrong or that another better device will bowl us over and be readily and cheaply available.
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:17 AM   #25
High 5
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
High 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket ebook,Cybook, Hiebook, Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by firekat
I see the company unable to address the issues of the device, interest in it from the "consumer" end will wane due to the slipshod and unprofessional manner in which the company has been marketing and communicating to their potential clientele about the device.
I seriously doubt if there even is a consumer market for this device.

Further more, the B2B market is no more than a re-sale from businesses that will be selling devices to individual customers in the next months.
Businesses that will find out that the average Joe customer isn't the least bit interested in an ebook device.
As long as an ebook device needs a manual, people will be buying their newspapers and books in paper 'format'.
And as long as you need a pc, lan or any kind of modem to download books in your device, you have instantly lost about 80% of any kind of customer market.

Irex should realise that there is no safe market for this device other than first wave gizmo lovers and a small group of fanatic book readers.
Hey...that's us isn't it?
High 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:53 AM   #26
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High 5
Irex should realise that there is no safe market for this device other than first wave gizmo lovers and a small group of fanatic book readers.
Hey...that's us isn't it?
LOL!!

Well, there is one way Irex, or any other e-book maker could get millions of people using the devices. They could cut deals with texbook publishers and school districts. They can offer discounted units to hold all of their text books on them. Perhaps make them a bit more rugged. Not only would they be saving kids backs from those oversized back packs, but they would have a whole generation of kids used to reading on e-ink devices who would probably continue reading on them long after their school days are over.
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:04 AM   #27
Riocaz

Indeed.

Use in schools is one of the scenerio's shown in the promotional photo's on the Irex site.

I can't see it happening for a while. But it will happen.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:18 AM   #28
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
Sorry for the delay but i've been busy -_-'

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
Henrycat: Does the iLiad read SD Cards or just MMC?

Thanks for the info.
Alex confirmed the device can read both SD and MMC cards. Since i only have CF i can't say how they work.
Also i think this might interest some of you

"If the California mobile- and tele-readers are near san Francisco: the
iLiad is on display and being demonstrated in the "Moscone north"
convention center until Thursday noon. (SID conference)
Flipside: a $10 admission. Upside: huge display technology show,
including 100" LCD."

We're in the "e ink" booth
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:45 AM   #29
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
thanks Henrycat.
Wish i could quixkly visit that convention
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:53 AM   #30
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrycat
Sorry for the delay but i've been busy -_-'

Also i think this might interest some of you

"If the California mobile- and tele-readers are near san Francisco: the
iLiad is on display and being demonstrated in the "Moscone north"
convention center until Thursday noon. (SID conference)
Flipside: a $10 admission. Upside: huge display technology show,
including 100" LCD."

We're in the "e ink" booth
Great news, provided it is still true next week. I'll be there for a conference. Maybe I can sneak one in my briefcase to come home with me
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote