Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 10-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Spinoza, Baruch: The Ethics HYPERLINKED. v1. 24 October 2009

The thing that stuck me most the first time I looked into The Ethics by Baruch Spinoza was his unusual writing style. To prove his points, he constantly refers the reader to other sections in his book, which often refer in turn to still other sections, et cetera. The entire book seems to be a kind of matrix that had been written neither forward nor backwards, but sideways. Reading the printed text is a chore that involves seemingly endless repetitive flipping between sections in order to follow his arguments.

Years ago, it occurred to me that Spinoza’s plan all along in writing his magnum opus was to wait until modern computers and hand-held e-readers were invented so he could properly hyperlink his work prior to publishing. Unfortunately, he died in 1766, a few years prior to the introduction of Windows computers, Macs, and Rocket eBooks and their descendants. After his death, someone — not realizing Spinoza’s intentions — went ahead and published The Ethics posthumously in 1677. Fortunately, I have now corrected that publisher’s mistake with this eBook edition..

This book contains well over a thousand hyper-links. When I first created the Word document on which this edition is based it took several months of intense work to complete. Now I offer this MOBI-formatted version to you, the lover of philosophy, free of charge and with no restrictions, as a labor of love.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: prc Spinoza's Ethics HYPER-LINKED.prc (369.7 KB, 900 views)

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-26-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Remove PHL from title
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Thank you so much for this! I used calibre to convert it to epub and put on my PRS-505. The hyperlinks all work perfectly. Beautiful work.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
This is a really good conversion. The hyperlinking makes it so much easier to trace a proposition back to the axioms. As the original Latin title reminds us, Spinoza was aiming to apply the methods of Euclidean proof to philosophical enquiry, and this conversion makes the process much easier.

For completeness, I'll just mention some bibliographical details:

Author: Baruch [Benedict] Spinoza, 1632-1677
Title: Ethics [Ethica Ordine Geometrico Demonstrata]
Translated from the Latin by R. H. M. Elwes (1853-?]

Incidentally, are you the person who uploaded the Project Gutenberg version, Tom?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:40 AM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
Thank you so much for this! I used calibre to convert it to epub and put on my PRS-505. The hyperlinks all work perfectly. Beautiful work.
Thanks!

Feel free to upload the epub version if you like, especially since I have no way at present to do the conversion myself.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:01 AM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
This is a really good conversion. The hyperlinking makes it so much easier to trace a proposition back to the axioms. As the original Latin title reminds us, Spinoza was aiming to apply the methods of Euclidean proof to philosophical enquiry, and this conversion makes the process much easier.

For completeness, I'll just mention some bibliographical details:

Author: Baruch [Benedict] Spinoza, 1632-1677
Title: Ethics [Ethica Ordine Geometrico Demonstrata]
Translated from the Latin by R. H. M. Elwes (1853-?]

Incidentally, are you the person who uploaded the Project Gutenberg version, Tom?
Long story, but yes; the present complete PG version is "mine". I had originally downloaded the version they had at the time to use as the backbone of my present hyper-linked version. Long story short, I found a lot of typos in that version, which I proof-read against a paper version of the Elwes’ translation. After the conversion, I contacted Michael Hart (the Project's founder) and let him know what I had done, and offered him both the hyper-linked Word document (this was before the days of e-readers) and the corrected text version. If I recall correctly, at the time Project Gutenberg only offered text files. I believe mine was the only Word document available for download on the site.

The hyper-linked document I submitted to Project Gutenberg has long since vanished into limbo on their site (at least I can't find it). Mr. Hart gave me the credit for the current text version; although, in truth, I was only the proof-reader/editor. Someone else had already done the heavy lifting of scanning or typing the original text.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-25-2009 at 04:14 AM.
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Feel free to upload the epub version if you like, especially since I have no way at present to do the conversion myself.
Sure. It might be good to move it to your first post on this thread.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Ethics - Benedict de Spinoza.epub (187.7 KB, 550 views)

Last edited by Superlucky; 10-25-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
Sure. It might be good to move it to your first post on this thread.
Thanks big time! I started the following thread in the epub forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...457#post637457
Old 10-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
Superlucky
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Thanks big time! I started the following thread in the epub forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...457#post637457
Sorry, didn't think of that.