Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #46
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
What I'd like though is for someone who's really active here to start a thread, which is immediately locked "New Firmware Alert Thread". That way I can subscribe to it and receive an email when the new firmware is released. As much as I like this forum I don't come on every day, and more often than not I come on just to make sure I haven't missed a firmware release.
Why don't you just imagine that feature existed and wait for the e-mail. You're not going to actually find out that it's not working, at least not anytime soon
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #47
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffi View Post
Why don't you just imagine that feature existed and wait for the e-mail. You're not going to actually find out that it's not working, at least not anytime soon
Or... you can imagine the new firmware update has already arrived. This way the wait for the next firmware update won't be that long...
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 04:33 AM   #48
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
Or... you can imagine the new firmware update has already arrived. This way the wait for the next firmware update won't be that long...
If I would imagine the currently announced FW update has already arrived and I now start to wait for the NEXT FW update after that one.... Oh, my, I shudder to even finish the sentence...

What comes some time after "hell freezes over"?
Old 08-19-2009, 04:36 AM   #49
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
If I would imagine the currently announced FW update has already arrived and I now start to wait for the NEXT FW update after that one.... Oh, my, I shudder to even finish the sentence...

What comes some time after "hell freezes over"?
Someone posts something that makes sense in the Lounge?
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:26 AM   #50
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
this letter ?

any reply ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 06:23 AM   #51
KLausPetersen
Connoisseur
KLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
this letter ?

any reply ?
Its just a week since he send his letter.
I wouldn't expect an answer before monday ....

( But please don't ask which monday )
KLausPetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:40 AM   #52
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
this letter ?

any reply ?
Sad to say, but no... Have re-sent it yesterday and will so every other day!

BTW: As I've CCed some 30+ major news sites and magazines (that have already covered eReaders and Bookeen) I hoped for a quicker and more satisfying reply. Normally, if I have had problems with a company/product CCing important sites/mags makes them more responsive and helpful...

Yeah, what was I thinking... this is Bookeen... VERY special case...
Old 08-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #53
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

me thinks openinkpot could be a better option - if possible ....
Old 08-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #54
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
me thinks openinkpot could be a better option - if possible ....
You know what would be nice : Open source.
Have the official-reads-drm version maintained by bookeen, and an open source one maintained by the community. (With a common part for menu and all, maintained by both).

Trouble being testing. I'll never put a firmware on my reader unless it's stable.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #55
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Y
Trouble being testing. I'll never put a firmware on my reader unless it's stable.
Then you need to remove the current firmware since it crashes sometimes. And that is not being stable.

The important thing with firmwares is fool proof recovery procedures.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #56
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Then you need to remove the current firmware since it crashes sometimes. And that is not being stable.

The important thing with firmwares is fool proof recovery procedures.

cerpently - a hard hit with a hammer never does any electronic appliance any good ....
Old 08-20-2009, 04:22 AM   #57
Snuffi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
You know what would be nice : Open source.
Have the official-reads-drm version maintained by bookeen, and an open source one maintained by the community. (With a common part for menu and all, maintained by both).

I doubt that this is viable because if you have an official part for DRM and an open source part for the rest, who will users get support from when something isn't working. Normally users would complain to the company they bought it from and no company would want to get flamed for problems resulting from the open source part.

It might be possible to create a certain area for open source code if you allow plugins. That way problems are somewhat containable and customer support could always request to remove all plugins to see if the problem persists. But there's only so much you can do with a plugin structure, the main interface and functions would have to be excluded for the reasons mentioned above...

Much better would be to offer a FW entirely open sourced. It wouldn't be a problem really, for customer support you could always define a certain version number as the only supported one and if users flash newer versions or different branches they're on their own there. But in this case it's not possible because reader devices currently cannot do without supporting DRM (although that will hopefully change) and DRM can never be open-sourced.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #58
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
I doubt that this is viable because if you have an official part for DRM and an open source part for the rest...

Much better would be to offer a FW entirely open sourced. It wouldn't be a problem really, for customer support you could always define a certain version number as the only supported one and if users flash newer versions or different branches they're on their own there. But in this case it's not possible because reader devices currently cannot do without supporting DRM (although that will hopefully change) and DRM can never be open-sourced.
Sounds like the perfect solution would be an eReader-OS + a DRM-Reader + a developer kit (provided by the company). Then developers can come up with whatever software they like...

BTW: In that case it'd be even possible to have DRMed Mobi AND ePub on the device, because Mobi-license allows DRM for different formats on devices with installable software (e.g. PDAs, Smartphones etc.)!
Old 08-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #59
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
Going on a limb !

Hi All!

I am a Mac person... But I have a separate partition with Windows XP (I have not used it in over a year...)

Would it be possible with the new firmwares coming (Epub and Mobi) to have both residing on the same machine and start the cybook in one or the other configuration ????

Regards,

Georges
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #60
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
You´re talking about a bootloader - I´ve thougt of the same thing since I have heard of 2 different FWs. (There are some for different devices, from PSP to iPods and so on.)
However, I did consider to ask for it once the FW arrived. In good faith, that it would already be available by then
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote