Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
New controller board and SDK may be available.

It appears as if PVI is about to release a new controller board for 5" and 6" EPD displays. I've recently stumbled across this information on the new module, which uses the S1D13521 (Broadsheet EPD chip).

1. Overview
The module is a display module based on S1D13521(broadsheet), e-Paper display
controller for the active matrix e-paper (E-ink) display. It is a cost effective solution and allows
the engineers to easily integrate the module into its system board.
The S1D13521(broadsheet) supports up to 2048x1536 resolution @ 50Hz, and up to 5-bit
grayscale (2\3\4\5bpp). It has an aspect ratio of 4:3, portrait or landscape. The S1D13521
(broadsheet) drives the source and gate drivers. It has an 16-bit parallel asynchronous data
bus and uses external 16/32bit mobile SDRAM memory to store the display data. It composes
the required display waveforms to generate images on the displays using an external
Serial Flash Memory.
Panel Size:
The module is optimized for the active matrix e-paper display panels
5 “ or 6” (800 x 600) pixels
PCB Size:
50mm(L)x40mm(W)x0.8mm(H)
Key features in module:
39pin FPC (Con1)connector to connect with 6” EPD (Electrophoretic Device)
33pin FPC (Con2)connector to connect with 5” EPD (Electrophoretic Device)
Clock source: 25MHz Crystal
Serial Flash for waveform Read
Host writes buffer for rotation of orientation.
Black and White (2/3/4/5) grayscale mode.
16-bit parallel bi-directional asynchronous interface, with handshake protocol .Maximum
communication speed of host interface is 10 Mbytes/sec.
Integrated temperature sensor (SE95D) to avoid bad effect from high or low
temperature.
Uses Mobile SDRAM.
Integrated VR(Variable resistor) to adjust V-com (Common Electrode Voltage)

There appears to be an SDK available for this controller board, but I don't know what's included or how much it will cost.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
5-bit? That would translate to 32 shades of gray!
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2009, 02:31 AM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
5-bit? That would translate to 32 shades of gray!
Yep. Of course, from what I hear, the board in question comes in two flavors, one which supports 6" and 5" and the other adds support for 8" and 9.7".

Derek
Old 05-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Yep. Of course, from what I hear, the board in question comes in two flavors, one which supports 6" and 5" and the other adds support for 8" and 9.7".

Derek
And, I got a quote for *just* the 6" display and the controller daughterboard. $250 to my home in California. If I want the display, controller and demo software, it'll run me $1,000. If I want the entire kit and kaboodle w/o the 3G support - $5,000 and $5,500 WITH 3G support.

Okaayyy... Anyone want to Chipin to buy a dev kit?

Derek
Old 05-26-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
IgnareAcademy
Banned
IgnareAcademy is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin clone
What about more contrasty screens? I want real white!
In many conditions my Hanlin clone is unpleasant to use because there is not enough available light.
That should be their priority, not 32 shades of dark greys.
IgnareAcademy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
ruskie
Shade
ruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enough

Device: Hanlin Jinke V3ext running OpenInkPot
I wonder if they can achieve a more real white. Since I think the greyness is due to the black from below. Maybe if they doubled the white particles it might work though. So that when displaying white it would have a double layer and thus reduce the blackness from below.
ruskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnareAcademy View Post
What about more contrasty screens? I want real white!
In many conditions my Hanlin clone is unpleasant to use because there is not enough available light.
That should be their priority, not 32 shades of dark greys.
Seconded! People don't talk about it enough. Forget color, I want better contrast & better resolution!
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
I would imagine that at least part of why the screens are gray might be because the layers above the eInk eat up some of the light.

Last edited by Dylrob; 05-26-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
IgnareAcademy
Banned
IgnareAcademy is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin clone
Earlier today I learned a lot about the many technologies being developed and that gave me hope:
http://www.epapercentral.com/epaper-technologies-guide
IgnareAcademy is offline   Reply With Quote