Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-01-2017, 09:46 AM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
fantasyfan Vote • February 2017

Help us select what the MR Literary Club will read in February 2017!

The options this month are courtesy of our rotating nominator, fantasyfan.

Voting will run for four days. The vote will close exactly four days from this post; even if the final tally doesn't occur immediately after voting closes, no votes made after that time will count.

Votes will be made by post. Each person has NINE votes to use.

You may give each nominee one or two (or no) votes. You may vote all at once in one post or vote in separate posts at different times, so long as you have more votes remaining to cast. You may use any number of your possible votes up to the maximum. Any extraneous votes per person (past their maximum or more than two for one nominee) won't count. Votes cannot be changed once they are cast.

The rotating nominator may not vote. Once voting is complete, the count will be tallied and a winner declared. In the event of a tie, there will be a one-day run-off vote, also in this thread. If the run-off also ends in a tie, then the tie will be resolved by the nominator.

We hope that you will read the selection with the club and join in the discussion.

The floor is now open!

From fantasyfan: I have had an itch to suggest a list of famous works of literary criticism. I think that as we are a literary club that would be a reasonable approach. The choices wouldn't necessarily be long; sometimes an essay has had a very significant impact. They could range from books examining philosophical approaches to literature, genre areas, and even specific authors or works.

One would have to think about factors such as availability and price as works of literary criticism are not always best sellers nor inexpensive.

Here's my list in chronological order, generally with the descriptions from Goodreads:

Voting is closed. Final Results-
  • 1904 Shakespearean Tragedy by A.C. Bradley
    Goodreads / 479 Pages / Votes- 4
    Spoiler:
    "A.C. Bradley put Shakespeare on the map for generations of readers and students for whom the plays might not otherwise have become 'real' at all" writes John Bayley in his foreword to this edition of Shakespearean Tragedy: Lectures on Hamlet, Othello, King Lear and Macbeth.

Approaching the tragedies as drama, wondering about their characters as he might have wondered about people in novels or in life, Bradley is one of the most liberating in the line of distinguished Shakespeare critics. His acute yet undogmatic and almost conversational critical method has—despite fluctuations in fashion—remained enduringly popular and influential. For, as John Bayley observes, these lectures give us a true and exhilarating sense of "the tragedies joining up with life, with all our lives; leading us into a perspective of possibilities that stretch forward and back in time, and in our total awareness of things."

• 1905 Aspects of the Novel by E.M. Forster
    Goodreads / 189 Pages / Votes- 9
    Spoiler:
    Another classic. "Forster’s lively, informed originality and wit have made this book a classic. Avoiding the chronological approach of what he calls “pseudoscholarship,” he freely examines aspects all English-language novels have in common: story, people, plot, fantasy, prophecy, pattern, and rhythm. Index."

• 1913 The Victorian Age in Literature by G.K. Chesterton
    Goodreads / 132 Pages / Votes- 6
    Spoiler:
    ‘I was born a Victorian; and sympathise not a little with the serious Victorian Spirit.’ In this engaging and extremely personal account G K Chesterton expounds his views on Victorian literature. Many of his opinions reflect the conventions of the age; however of the Victorian novel he refreshingly comments ‘it is an art in which women are quite beyond controversy’. Equally uncompromising about poets and poetry he does not hesitate to call Tennyson ‘a provincial Virgil’. This book is an important landmark in our understanding of an age which produced some of Britain’s most widely enjoyed literature.

• 1942 A Preface to Paradise Lost by C.S. Lewis
    Goodreads / 149 Pages / Votes- 1
    Spoiler:
    Astonishingly, this remarkably perceptive book does not seem to be available for Kindle. Goodreads says little about it, but I have read it and this is a profound and brilliant exposition of the philosophy that underlies the great poem. It is also an attempt to rebut the very attractive views of Shelley who asserts that Satan is the true hero of the poem.
    Available in paperback

• 1948 Yeats: The Man and the Masks by Richard Ellmann
    Goodreads / 344 Pages / Votes- 1
    Spoiler:
    One of the most influential poets of his age, W.B. Yeats eluded the grasp of many who sought to explain him. His life was complex in both its outer and inner events. Yeats's mystical concerns, such as his involvement with spiritualism and construction of a transcendental world system in A Vision, coexisted and occasionally clashed with his active involvement in public affairs. In this classic critical examination of the poet, Richard Ellmann strips away the masks of his subject: occultist, senator of the Irish Free State, libidinous old man, and Nobel Prize winner.

• 1948 The Great Tradition by F.R. Leavis
    Goodreads / 302 Pages / Votes- 3
    Spoiler:
    Again, there is very little about this book on Goodreads. It has been both influential and controversial. Leavis does brilliant work with James, Eliot, and Conrad. He is dismissive of Fielding and Dickens and doesn't quite know what to make of Emily Bronte.
    Some have said that he mistitled his book and should have used "A" instead of "The".

So far the books have all been modestly priced. This one you might want to get from a library.

• 1949 Seven Types of Ambiguity by William Empson
    Goodreads / 281 Pages / Votes- 4
    Spoiler:
    Revised twice since it first appeared, it has remained one of the most widely read and quoted works of literary analysis. Ambiguity, according to Empson, includes "any verbal nuance, however slight, which gives room for alternative reactions to the same piece of language." From this definition, broad enough by his own admission sometimes to see "stretched absurdly far," he launches into a brilliant discussion, under seven classifications of differing complexity and depth, of such works, among others, as Shakespeare's plays and the poetry of Chaucer, Donne, Marvell, Pope, Wordsworth, Gerard Manley Hopkins, and T. S. Eliot.

This is a trailblazer! It is also quite modestly priced.

• 1982 The Rhetoric of Fiction Second edition by Wayne C. Booth
    Goodreads / 508 Pages / Votes- 2
    Spoiler:
    The first edition of The Rhetoric of Fiction transformed the criticism of fiction and soon became a classic in the field. One of the most widely used texts in fiction courses, it is a standard reference point in advanced discussions of how fictional form works, how authors make novels accessible, and how readers recreate texts, and its concepts and terms—such as "the implied author," "the postulated reader," and "the unreliable narrator"—have become part of the standard critical lexicon.

For this new edition, Wayne C. Booth has written an extensive Afterword in which he clarifies misunderstandings, corrects what he now views as errors, and sets forth his own recent thinking about the rhetoric of fiction. The other new feature is a Supplementary Bibliography, prepared by James Phelan in consultation with the author, which lists the important critical works of the past twenty years—two decades that Booth describes as "the richest in the history of the subject."

A major work but quite expensive--I suggest you get it from the library. I have the PB edition which was cheaper than the ebook.

• 1984 Celtic Dawn: A Portrait of the Irish Literary Renaissance (AKA Black Swan) by Ulick O'Connor
    Goodreads / 374 Pages / Votes- 4
    Spoiler:
    "It is the small details that make this book such a fascinating read. Often times, O’Connor includes anecdotes that make the characters seem more than characters from a not too distant history, but highlight them in the mind through their personal interactions with each other and with those around them. If you are a fan of any of the authors of the Irish Renaissance, this is a must read." Mr Hardie on Goodreads

I found this book difficult to put down! Ulick O'Connor is a gifted writer and sensitive critic. It is a bit pricey at £7 but worth it.

• 2003 The Road to Middle-Earth Third edition by Tom Shippey
    Goodreads / 463 Pages / Votes- 2
    Spoiler:
    Shippey's classic work, now revised in paperback, explores J.R.R. Tolkien's creativity and the sources of his inspiration. Shippey shows in detail how Tolkien's professional background led him to write "The Hobbit" and how he created a timeless charm for millions of readers.

Last edited by sun surfer; 04-01-2017 at 05:54 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #2
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

2 to The Rhetoric of Fiction
2 to Aspects of the Novel
2 to The Great Tradition
1 to A Preface to Paradise Lost
1 to Seven Types of Ambiguity
1 to Celtic Dawn

Whew! Two notes- fantasyfan notes that The Rhetoric of Fiction is expensive in ebook. In the U.S. it's $15 on Kindle - not the cheapest but doable for me, and it sounds very interesting. In PB though it starts at less than $4 on Amazon. Second, I just want to point out that A Preface to Paradise Lost only partly concerns its title; this is from Goodreads reviewer M.G. Bianco:
Quote:
C.S. Lewis writes what may be a very poorly titled book in A Preface to Paradise Lost.

Certainly, the last half of the book, or so, is a book about how to enjoy and understand John Milton's Paradise Lost. The first half of the book, however, is a book about epic poetry. Lewis makes some very poignant observations about epic poetry in general and about The Iliad, The Odyssey, Beowulf, and the Aeneid specifically, in addition to Paradise Lost.
Advert
Old 02-01-2017, 05:14 PM   #3
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I have problems getting some of the books here, and am reluctant to spend much at the moment because of some other upcoming expenses. So I'm voting for only three books:

2 to Shakespearean Tragedy
2 to Aspects of the Novel
2 to The Road to Middle Earth
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:55 PM   #4
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I checked on the availability of a few of the titles in Canada, may be available elsewhere from other vendors (sorry, don't know how to travel)

The Chesterton is free here; I like the quality of the Adelaide epubs
https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/c/che...in-literature/

The C.S. Lewis is available from Amazon.ca for $CDN 0.99
https://www.amazon.ca/Preface-Paradi.../dp/0195003454 $CDN 0.99
Kobo.ca wants me to buy his complete works - for a mere $500+

Yeats, The Man And The Masks $CDN 5.46
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01BPMZTV6
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:40 AM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I will start with the following votes:

2 for Celtic Dawn
2 for Aspects of the Novel
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2017, 09:47 AM   #6
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll start with the following:

2 votes for Aspects of the Novel by E.M. Forster
At some point in my life I have to read something by Forster

2 votes for Seven Types of Ambiguity by William Empson
Having not read this when I was supposed to, it seems fair play to read it now when I don't have to.

2 votes for The Victorian Age in Literature by G.K. Chesterton
I dipped into it to get his take on Tennyson (I'm currently reading In Memoriam). He was delightfully sarcastic on Tennyson, and slagged In Memoriam for all the wrong reasons. I expect it to be a treat to read.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #7
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You have convinced me, bfisher!

2 votes for G K Chesterton.

Glad you approve of Adelaide University. It's a good source.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #8
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I will give one vote to
- A. C. Bradley
- E. M. Forster
- Ulick O'Connor
- William Empson

and two votes to
- G. K. Chesterton
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:26 AM   #9
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

One day left to vote. Whichever author wins, this is an initial-friendly bunch!
Old 02-04-2017, 11:10 AM   #10
bfisher
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
One day left to vote. Whichever author wins, this is an initial-friendly bunch!

I believe that I still have 3 votes left, so:
1 vote for Yeats: The Man and the Masks by Richard Ellmann
1 vote for Shakespearean Tragedy by A.C. Bradley
1 vote for The Great Tradition by F.R. Leavis

This was a fantastic list, fantasyfan. Any book on the list would be an interesting read, more a question of availability where one happens to live for some of them.

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler"
- Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken
Old 02-04-2017, 01:29 PM   #11
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post

I believe that I still have 3 votes left, so:
1 vote for Yeats: The Man and the Masks by Richard Ellmann
1 vote for Shakespearean Tragedy by A.C. Bradley
1 vote for The Great Tradition by F.R. Leavis

This was a fantastic list, fantasyfan. Any book on the list would be an interesting read, more a question of availability where one happens to live for some of them.

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler"
- Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:23 PM   #12
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
This was a fantastic list, fantasyfan.
Agreed; the only one I might've passed on was the Shippey. I haven't ever read Tolkien so I'd like to read him first before I read analysis of his books. In a way I wouldn't mind being spoiled as I've seen the three LOTR films (and I think the cartoon when I was young), but I feel like this book may go so in-depth that it could lessen my first-time discovery enjoyment of the novels once I get to them.

I'm probably most interested in The Rhetoric of Fiction, but Aspects of the Novel is a close second for me so I'm happy to see it in the lead on the home stretch. After reading some reviews of it, The Great Tradition sounded like a hoot- controversially opinionated somewhat similarly to what bfisher's dip into the Chesterton found. For instance, the top GR review of the Leavis, by Becky, includes, '...I did rather enjoy this book. Leavis osculates between throwing shade on other critics and authors, seriously studying his chosen authors, and something akin to fanboying. It was nothing if not entertaining...' and the next top review, by Richard Epstein, said this, 'The Leavises, esp. F.R., were always fun to read and to rail at, and they were capable of wonderful analyses; but they were idiots nonetheless. These are the people who thought Hard Times was Dickens's one novel in the great tradition and Hardy scarcely worth considering. Still, he recognized that Shelley was a ninny, and for that I honor him.'
Old 02-04-2017, 06:26 PM   #13
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

It's probably close enough to the finish line for me to say that I loathe and despise FR Leavis. The English Department of Melbourne University was in thrall to him when I was there in the 1970s, and I only managed to complete the first year of what was going to be an English major before fleeing to the History Department to do extra History subjects to complete the degree. I was amused to learn recently that I was by no means alone in doing that.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:27 PM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
It's probably close enough to the finish line for me to say that I loathe and despise FR Leavis. The English Department of Melbourne University was in thrall to him when I was there in the 1970s, and I only managed to complete the first year of what was going to be an English major before fleeing to the History Department to do extra History subjects to complete the degree. I was amused to learn recently that I was by no means alone in doing that.
That's a wonderful anecdote, Bookpossum! Thanks for that perspective.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:19 PM   #15
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

. One of the interesting aspects is that the kids who had come straight from school found it all very daring to have scorn poured on various great writers. Adult students like me were appalled by it all and couldn't wait to escape at the end of the year.

Being a part-time student meant that I couldn't just toss it aside lightly when I found how awful it was. And of course you had to regurgitate the opinions back in your essays or you were wrong and could well fail. Luckily there were enough books deemed to be acceptable for me to write my essays on them.