Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-04-2013, 03:38 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Need Example SVG wrapper including caption

I am having trouble beating this into my weary brain. Sometimes it feels like the W3C site is speaking Greek, and I ain't Greek.

I've been using svg wrappers for just the image for quite a while. Now I want to try adding a caption.

Would someone be so kind as to post a code example of a simple svg wrapper (with png or jpg image) that has a simple caption at the bottom?

I don't want to get into rotating or any of the other Mardi Gras stuff right now

I'll even save some of my Halloween candy for you

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 11-04-2013 at 03:40 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:18 AM   #2
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
I see you have learned nothing in a year and 9 months!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166836

The last I recall this "image and caption" being brought up was in this topic, with RbnJrg's (non-SVG) code:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223178

Doing something with HTML+CSS would probably have slightly better support/compatability/convertability (I don't know how well something like Calibre would handle converting a slightly more complex SVG?). Although I would be interested in an SVG solution as well. I know I am slacking in my SVG learning.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Be aware that RbnJrg uses height: 100% for body and HTML. That can have unexpected results on Sony readers, sometimes even blocking the next button. It might also happen on other readers, but at least on the TRS-1.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
If you wrap them both together, then a Sony will see them as one block. If they are oversize, then my PRS-300 displays it also on the following page, overlapping the text.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
I am having trouble beating this into my weary brain. Sometimes it feels like the W3C site is speaking Greek, and I ain't Greek.

I've been using svg wrappers for just the image for quite a while. Now I want to try adding a caption.

Would someone be so kind as to post a code example of a simple svg wrapper (with png or jpg image) that has a simple caption at the bottom?

I don't want to get into rotating or any of the other Mardi Gras stuff right now

I'll even save some of my Halloween candy for you
Hi Granny;

In your .css stylesheet, write the following:

Code:
html {
    height: 100%;
    margin: 0;
}

body {
    height: 100%;
    margin: 0;
}

#container {
    height: 85%;
}

.img_caption {
    height: 15%;
    text-align:center;
    margin-top: 10px;
    font-weight: bold;
}

p {
    text-align: justify;
    text-indent: 1em;
    font-size: 1em;
    margin-bottom: 1em;
}
And in your .html file write this code:

Code:
<body>
  <div id="container">
    <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 248 310" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
      <image height="310" width="248" xlink:href="../Images/Obama.jpg"></image>
    </svg>
  </div>

<div class="img_caption">
    Barak Obama<br />
    President of the United States of America
  </div>
</body>
Of course, you'll have to adapt the viewBox of your SVG wrapper according to your image. Also take in count that the height of the id "container" plus the height of the class "img_caption" must be equal to 100%. This solution is not so perfect as my solution for the .kf8 format but this one works in ADE

Below I attach screenshots on my ADE and the respective ePub.

Regards
Rubén
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Obama1.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	114642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Obama2.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	114643  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Image & Caption for ADE.epub (17.9 KB, 231 views)
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Like I said, that solution does not work on all readers and can even block your reader from turning the page. YMMV.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
It is also legal and quite possible to add text using SVG itself which will make the caption part of the image frame itself.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It is also legal and quite possible to add text using SVG itself which will make the caption part of the image frame itself.
Yes, this is what I believe GrannyGrump was initially asking for. Anyone have any examples of this? I don't recall ever running into any in all of these "image + caption" threads.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Yes, this is what I believe GrannyGrump was initially asking for. Anyone have any examples of this? I don't recall ever running into any in all of these "image + caption" threads.
You have two variations:

1. Caption inside the svg image wrapper:

Code:
<body>
  <div id="container">
    <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 248 310" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
    </svg>

<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" version="1.1">
         <text x="33%" y="95%" fill="red">Barak Obama</text>
    </svg> 
  </div> 
</body>
2. Caption outside the svg image wrapper:

Code:
<body>
  <div id="container">
    </svg>   
  </div> 

<text x="40%" y="20" fill="black">Barak Obama</text>
  </svg> 
</body>
But is not easy to center the text proceding of that way.

Regards
Rubén
Old 11-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Like I said, that solution does not work on all readers and can even block your reader from turning the page. YMMV.
That solution works for ADE. But I don't know if it works for the Sony, Nook, Kobo, etc. devices (I only have a Kindle). Perhaps, trial and error is the only way to know if the procedure is suitable for those ereaders.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
I have noticed that several e-Readers on the iPhone suffer from next-page blockage if using a CSS body height of 100%. Sometimes even to the point that you cannot go back too

EDIT: Almost forgot the most important thing.

You are not limited to using pixel size for the image dimension, you can also use percentages. If you set the viewbox to the exact size of the image and then height and width of the svg container to 100%, it will fit things nicely within the page when positioning the svg elements in the container.

Centering is done via separate anchor attribute. See below example for an svg with embedded caption. Image is scaled down to 95% height, the width will automatically adjust because "preserveAspectRatio" prevents the image from distorting and also controls the alignment within the image container. The reduction in height will place the image container vertically aligned to top. So leave the width at 100% for horizontal centering.

Code:
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidyMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 640 960" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
<image height="95%" width="100%" xlink:href="../Images/fullpage.png"/>
<text text-anchor="middle" font-size="xx" x="50%" y="98%" fill="black">Caption</text>
</svg>
You could also put a link around the text like so (rarely supported in e-readers)
Code:
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidyMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 640 960" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
<a xlink:href="someplace else"><text text-anchor="middle"  font-size="xx" x="50%" y="98%">Caption</text></a>
</svg>
caveat: iBooks will not display this. Most eReaders I tried which support svg images, had no problems with the text caption, but the link feature is badly or not supported by most all I've tried it with...

Last edited by At_Libitum; 11-04-2013 at 02:10 PM.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
You have two variations:

1. Caption inside the svg image wrapper:

Code:
<body>
  <div id="container">
    </svg>

<text x="33%" y="95%" fill="red">Barak Obama</text>
    </svg> 
  </div> 
</body>
2. Caption outside the svg image wrapper:

Code:
<body>
  <div id="container">
    </svg>   
  </div> 

<text x="40%" y="20" fill="black">Barak Obama</text>
  </svg> 
</body>
But is not easy to center the text proceding of that way.

Regards
Rubén
The second svg is not really necessary since the x, y can be used to space the text at the bottom of the image or under it. No need for a wrapper. Just size the svg height to more than the image height and it should be fine. Centering is a trial and error approach but the use can specify the length of the line of text and it will been spaced within the length.

Dale
Old 11-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Centering is a trial and error approach but the use can specify the length of the line of text and it will been spaced within the length.
Can't you use text-anchor="middle"?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Can't you use text-anchor="middle"?
True enough, I had missed that.

Dale
Old 11-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Libitum View Post

Almost forgot the most important thing.

You are not limited to using pixel size for the image dimension, you can also use percentages. If you set the viewbox to the exact size of the image and then height and width of the svg container to 100%, it will fit things nicely within the page when positioning the svg elements in the container.

Centering is done via separate anchor attribute. See below example for an svg with embedded caption. Image is scaled down to 95% height, the width will automatically adjust because "preserveAspectRatio" prevents the image from distorting and also controls the alignment within the image container. The reduction in height will place the image container vertically aligned to top. So leave the width at 100% for horizontal centering.

Code:
<text text-anchor="middle" font-size="xx" x="50%" y="98%" fill="black">Caption</text>
</svg>
Hi At_Libitum;

Your solution is very elegant but regrettably, has one fail: it doesn't work in ADE

So, the only solution I see is to employ a image with a blank space below and to add the caption in that blank space. See the following:

1. In the .css stylesheet:
Code:
p {
    text-align: justify;
    text-indent: 1em;
    font-size: 1em;
    margin-bottom: 1em;
}
2. In the .html file:
Code:
<body>
  <div>
    <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 248 340" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
      <image height="340" width="248" xlink:href="../Images/Obama.jpg"></image>

<text text-anchor="middle" x="124" y="325" fill="red" style="font-weight: bold; font-size: 15px">Barak Obama</text>
    </svg>
  </div>
</body>
The original image was 248 x 310 px. With a image processor I modified its canvas size and I added a blank space below of 30px so the new image size is 248 x 340. I added the text in the position y="325" (pixels) and I used a font-size of 15px (so 325 + 15 = 340). Since the original images had a height of 310px, then there is a top margin of 15px for the caption.
To center the text I used the property text-anchor="middle" (as you well pointed out, thank you very much) and a "x" value of 124 (pixels) that is, the half of the image width.

And this time I didn't use a height of 100% for the html and body tag And still works for ADE Below I attach a screenshot of my ADE and the respective epub. I think this time we have the whole solution

Regards
Rubén
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Obama1.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	114662  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Image & Caption for ADE.epub (15.5 KB, 224 views)

Last edited by RbnJrg; 11-04-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Tags
image & caption together, image caption, svg text, svg wrapper caption