Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-02-2004, 06:33 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Convert books for eReader?

I just purchased eReader and tried to convert a large html file using a demo of eReader's eBook Studio. Unfortunately, I didn't get very far; eBook Studio always crashes when it tries to load the big (>1MB) file.

Does anyone know good alternatives for converting html files to eReader-compatible files, including preserving the markup?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:26 PM   #2
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I played around with the ereader format for a while, especially when I first registered it. I used the pml markup language though, and did all the formatting by hand, so I haven't got any experience with the ebook studio software. Doing it manually was pretty easy though, a little time consuming, especially if you've done any html at all.

There's a Word template around that allows you to create and save docs in pml format for easy conversion. You could load the html up in Word and save it using that template, perhaps.

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2004, 11:59 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I don't remember any of the specific utilities, but can't you use them to convert from Word (maybe even html) directly to PalmDoc, which is readable on eReader?

Here's one list that you probably already are aware of in the memoware help text... http://www.memoware.com/mw.cgi/?screen=help_create
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 12:40 AM   #4
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
I've been hearing all kinds of buzz about eReader, but I can't find any actual technical info on it, nor can I find any screenshots. What does thing thing do, that the others do not? (Besides embrace yet another proprietary file format with pay-only media)

Can someone give me a rundown of its day-to-day features, as compared to other similar products and projects? (TomeRaider, Plucker, iSilo, PalmReader)

Any screenshots out there?
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 05:27 AM   #5
Mobipocket
Enthusiast
Mobipocket began at the beginning.

Device: al
You can use the Mobipocket publishing softwares. They can handle very large files, and you can read the converted eBooks on any PDA/Smartphone using Mobipocket Reader.
Mobipocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2004, 06:18 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the main advantage of both eReader and Mobipocket Reader is that they are both backed by e-book stores offering the latest bestsellers and new releases.

Those e-book stores don't support TomeRaider, Plucker, and iSilo, mainly because neither of those readers support any DRM solution.

So at least from my understanding, the only way to legally read new, copyright-protected material on my PDA is to go with either eReader or Mobipocket Reader (and Microsoft Reader, if you have a PPC).

Ok, there is perhaps one more semi-legal way: Purchase a DRM-protected .lit e-book, decompile it to HTML with Clit.exe - then you can use your favorite reader like Plucker.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:49 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

I am afraid none of these tools preserve html markup? cbarnett, do you know the url to this Word macro? Perhaps that would work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
I don't remember any of the specific utilities, but can't you use them to convert from Word (maybe even html) directly to PalmDoc, which is readable on eReader?

Here's one list that you probably already are aware of in the memoware help text... http://www.memoware.com/mw.cgi/?screen=help_create
Old 09-03-2004, 10:10 AM   #8
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Plucker has support for "DRM". There was a heated discussion on the mailing list about a year ago when we started thinking about it. Many people had their opinions and I think we lost quite a few users because of the feature.

The problem about using DRM in a soloution where the source code is also provided, is that it becomes incredibly trivial to remove the DRM, when you can just look at the "recipe" to undo the DRM.

Its in there, but hardly anyone uses it in Plucker for actually protecting/preventing copying of the works.

Most people who are going to use Plucker, are going to do so, because they want to share the content with others, and DRM ("Digital Restriction Management", not "Rights" management) goes against that philosophy of sharing.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 06:58 PM   #9
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
I am afraid none of these tools preserve html markup? cbarnett, do you know the url to this Word macro? Perhaps that would work for me.
I'm not sure where I got it now, but I have the file right here (19k zip file) if you want it.

Craig.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:12 PM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

That would rock. Could you attach it here?
Old 09-05-2004, 07:18 PM   #11
cbarnett
MR prodigal son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
That would rock. Could you attach it here?
Done!

Craig.
Attached Files
File Type: zip word2pml.zip (18.8 KB, 4211 views)
Old 08-24-2005, 02:51 PM   #12
Unregistered
Nameless Being

This might help

Shows how to do conversion from one format to another.
http://www.handebooks.com/converters/
Old 08-24-2005, 03:01 PM   #13
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Very nice link! Thanks!
And quite interesting about Open Office being able to save directly as PalmDoc.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:01 AM   #14
albertc
albertc began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 650, LifeDrive
eBook Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker
I've been hearing all kinds of buzz about eReader, but I can't find any actual technical info on it, nor can I find any screenshots. What does thing thing do, that the others do not? (Besides embrace yet another proprietary file format with pay-only media)

Can someone give me a rundown of its day-to-day features, as compared to other similar products and projects? (TomeRaider, Plucker, iSilo, PalmReader)

Any screenshots out there?
Over at CanalPDA we use eReader for publishing our own e-books , because it's the only format we know that has native viewers for Palm OS, Windows Mobile, Symbian, Windows and Macintosh. We also like the reading features and the files are quite compact.

Regarding conversions, we mostly use eReader's own eBook Studio, good for most works, but with some annoying limitations, such as being unable to edit footnotes. When those are required, we revert to hard-coded PML. More about this at our eBook Studio review (in English for your pleasure).

(Alexander, we have never faced the big-file problem mentioned in your starting post)

(Hacker, eReader is the same format as PalmReader; I guess they switched names to avoid being pigeon-holed into Palm OS devices)

Regards.
albertc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:30 PM   #15
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

I absolutely love this macro for MS Word that converts to eReader format...
http://pwp.netcabo.pt/gorod/PublisheBook/

More at this thread..
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=publish+ebook

I prefer to read in eReader, so I like to convert to eReader format. And with this macro it's easy to convert anything that you can open in MS Word.