Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
Andy Farman
Connoisseur
Andy Farman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Scary readers

It takes months of writing to produce a novel of 160k words and having published it I was confident that the eighty percent finished second volume would be up nicely in time for the faster readers to transition across seamlessly.

Wrong.

Three days after purchasing it I had a reader moaning about not having volume two ready. A fortnight later he got his wish and I cracked on with the third and final volume having warned all it was not going to be out before autumn/fall (Nicely vague, just giving a season instead of a date.)

I thought he was unusual but an Australian serviceman in Afghanistan claims to have read both volume 1 and volume 2 in forty eight hours...haven't these chaps got some patrolling or stuff to do instead badgering the likes of me, who has a good 100k words to write yet? It is July and I am on the Valium already!

Anyone else have similar scary examples?
Andy Farman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Some people are just fast readers Andy. I know when I bought a copy of Stephen King's "The Stand" (extended version) in paperback some yrs back it only took me a few short days to read the entire book. And I read the last Harry Potter novel "Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows" within 24 hrs of getting my copy. I do take your point that the readers should allow time for you to actually write the next book before clamoring for it's publication though. I mean if you just finished writing, editing, and then publishing the 2nd book a short time ago it is unreasonable for them to expect you to have the 3rd volume finished that quickly.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Do they have cliff-hanger endings?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Just this thought from an avid reader.

If you're going to do a series, and you're an indie author, I would seriously consider having 90% of your work be done before releasing volume 1.

Until you get a good track record, I know I wouldn't want to invest time/money in something that might just go "poof" and disappear

good luck!
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Are these people actually "badgering" you, or are you referring to the reviews for the book found on Amazon? For series books, reviews that state, 'Gimme the next one!" are common if they enjoy the book. I wouldn't exactly feel too pressured, if I were you. Presumably these people have read books before and know there's generally a gap between releases. I was ready and jonesin' for the next book in the Dresden Files the second I finished the last one, and whining about it, but I knew it would be at least a year.

I do agree with Ravensknight, though, that you can get more readers by releasing them in short order. I would also advise, when you get to the end of the series, end it clearly. Don't give in to the temptation to leave yourself a hanging detail to grasp in case you decide to continue it later. Reader enthusiasm is not a sufficient motive for continuing a series past it's natural ending.

I've been seeing that lately in some indies, not only in series, but in standalones where the authors aren't yet sure if they want to turn it into a series.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Dude, yes! I am four books in to my series and people get 110k+ word books in less then 48 hours all the time. With my last book I had my first review with in 48 hours of release.

I can only get 1-2 books out a year, which makes it tougher.But some day when I have 10 or 50 books out there and I can finally quit my day job I will go faster... sure.... right...
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Re: Scary Readers

Boo!

(Why is there no ghost smilie? )
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Farman View Post
Three days after purchasing it I had a reader moaning about not having volume two ready.
Scary? These are your fans! Treasure them.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #9
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
it never ceases to amuse me how people these days, when given a chocolate bar, swallow it in one gulp, never sorry for the lost taste or money

some people are scary black holes
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #10
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
it never ceases to amuse me how people these days, when given a chocolate bar, swallow it in one gulp, never sorry for the lost taste or money

Or they just read quickly.

I can read and re-read an average novel in a day. It's not that hard, reading is just one of the things I'm really good at. It doesn't mean I enjoy the book less than someone who reads more slowly.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:28 AM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post

Reading a 160K book in 72 hours seems kind of normal to me. An average reader reads approximately 300 WPM and a college student reads about 450 WPM so 3-8 hours reading in 72 hours for someone stationed in Afghanistan where leaving the base is discouraged also seems pretty normal.

Swallowing a chocolate bar in one gulp is kind of scary though as my Heimlich skills are not that great.

Helen

Last edited by speakingtohe; 07-05-2013 at 03:31 AM.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I like to savor what I'm reading....like my candy bars

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Reading a 160K book in 72 hours seems kind of normal to me. An average reader reads approximately 300 WPM and a college student reads about 450 WPM so 3-8 hours reading in 72 hours for someone stationed in Afghanistan where leaving the base is discouraged also seems pretty normal.

Swallowing a chocolate bar in one gulp is kind of scary though as my Heimlich skills are not that great.

Helen
And unlike candy bars you can enjoy a book more than just one time. It's like revisiting old friends.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #15
Alyssa Miranda
Connoisseur
Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle and Nook
I go the other way on this.

Basically there are two reasons for reading a book - to be entertained or to be informed, neither of which is aided by reading too fast. To continue the candy bar analogy, it's a question of savoring versus gulping. That's not to say the writing shouldn't move along - it should, but that's the writer's responsibility.
Alyssa Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote