Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-06-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
miwo76
miwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Calibre very slow "Getting list of books from Device" - Glo HD

Hi - just got a Kobo Glo HD and transferring "only" 80 books from a Windows Vista PC running Calibre v2.27.

After initial transfer of my books; subsequent reconnection show that the job description showed that Calibre took about 93 (ninety-three!) minutes to "Getting list of books from Device".

I made some changes by disabling the PDF metadata reader plugin and unselecting the Kobo Touch plugin "Read PDF metadata". When I connected the Glo HD to calibre to check the books on the device - it still took 63 (sixty three!) minutes to get the list of books from the device.

Any suggestions on how to improve the times here? I previously had an Aura for a couple weeks and learned to use Calibre on it before returning it and didn't have any issues. After returning it I started learning to use metadata to create collections and plugin boards for book series sequencing. Nothing too complicated - and only for 80 books - definitely not a huge library. I do have 2 small PDF files (less than 500kb each) and 1 PDF graphic novel - about 30MB in size in my library.

Thanks in advance for any help.
miwo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
93 minutes for 80 books is completely wrong. I connected my Aura H2O earlier that has around 1600 books and the "Getting list of books from Device" took 35 seconds. My Glo HD is only taking a few seconds, but I only have about 200 books on it. And those are mostly kepubs from Kobo.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'unselecting the Kobo Touch plugin "Read PDF metadata"'. Do you mean the "Read metadata from files on device" option in the driver config? Unselecting that should only have an affect if there are books on the device that aren't in the calibre library.

The only thing I can think of is if there is a problem with the connection to the device. I would suggest powering the device off and on and rebooting the PC. If it is still slow after that, connect the device without running calibre and try copying some files to it directly. If that is slow, then the problem is not calibre. Or, if you have another PC available, try testing with that to see if it is any different.

The only other thing I can think of is to do a factory reset. If something went wrong with the initial setup and upgrade, this could fix it. And if it doesn't, and none of the above help, it suggests a hardware problem with the device and you should get it replaced.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
After the Reading Books completes have you tried right-clicking the device icon to configure the plugin for the device? This is how you limit the directories to be searched (the default is all directories on the device).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
After the Reading Books completes have you tried right-clicking the device icon to configure the plugin for the device? This is how you limit the directories to be searched (the default is all directories on the device).
that would matter on a tablet full of apps & data , but a new almost empty? e-ink reader shoudl not have anything much to exclude in other folders. there;'s no obvious reason why it shoudl even have multiple directories unless kobo pre-load a load of book samples & PD ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
And actually that option is only there on the Tablet MTP driver....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Any chance your anti virus program is scanning removable devices?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
miwo76
miwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Thanks for your feedback - will systematically try and tackle this problem to identify the issue.

I just had a thought that I did not use the supplied USB cable from Kobo. I wonder if its a cable issue.

On that thought - can anyone here describe how "deep" their male micro USB connector inserts into the Glo HD? Does it go all the way until the connector's housing is flush with the Glo HD? Or is there a gap?
Old 05-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
As a general rule of thumb, USB cables are all the same. Although I believe there has been one or two devices with weirdly-shaped/indented sockets that wouldn't fit properly for entirely non-standard reasons.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:47 PM   #9
miwo76

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help on this - I did 2 things (and thus ruining a systematic discovery of the root cause of my woes): a factory reset and switching to the USB cable supplied by Kobo with the Glo HD.

Subsquently, sideloaded books and the "Getting List of Books from the Device" was completed in seconds or less (actually, 0 seconds according to Calibre).

One thing I learned: don't close or exit Calibre even if Windows says the applications is "not responding". I think that may have contributed to the problems I saw and a factory reset and fresh start fixed all that.

Cheers!
Old 05-10-2015, 05:51 PM   #10
miwo76

Did a switch of USB cables and confirm that the Kobo cable worked no problem, but mine was faulty resulting in all kinds of communication problems with Calibre and Windows.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:32 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
not the 1st case of cable trouble I've come across - mine & others.
I used to think that a cable either worked or didn't, but it seems a problem one will work "sort-of" causing pc to drive ti at a lower speed or to do lots of re-tries.
e.g. I had an ethernet cable that I finally replaced but only after wrongly buying another network card & also after uninstalling re installing lots of drivers - and a sata cable that almost tricked me into binning & replacing a 2TB hard drive ( but removing then reconnecting it + changing the sata port on mobo fixed all of those ills )
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote