Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #61
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I really enjoyed Three Men in a Boat.

I guess it is a very British kind of humour. I can see why it wouldn't appeal to everybody.
I'm British and I didn't find it funny.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #62
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The Complete Yes Minister

The authors wrote it based on the Thatcher government. They had a mole who was feeding them inside information. It's kind of hard to believe some of the stuff is based on fact.

Quote:
[The Minister tries and gets a straight answer out of Sir Humphrey Appleby.]

Jim Hacker: When you give your evidence to the Think Tank, are you going to support my view that the Civil Service is over manned and feather-bedded, or not? Yes or no? Straight answer.

Sir Humphrey: Well Minister, if you ask me for a straight answer, then I shall say that, as far as we can see, looking at it by and large, taking one thing with another in terms of the average of departments, then in the final analysis it is probably true to say, that at the end of the day, in general terms, you would probably find that, not to put too fine a point on it, there probably wasn't very much in it one way or the other. As far as one can see, at this stage.

Last edited by Rizla; 11-10-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2013, 12:12 AM   #63
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The Complete Yes Minister

The authors wrote it based on the Thatcher government. They had a mole who was feeding them inside information. It's kind of hard to believe some of the stuff is based on fact.
I love those books and the TV series. They could take a dismal situation and make it serious and funny at the same time. Drama and comedy wrapped up in one, there's no better art.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #64
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I therefore take issue with the many BBC podcasts taking a condescending view of the supposed inability of Americans to grasp irony.
That's ironic.

Actually, no it's not . It's really all Alanis Morissette's fault (and I know she's Canadian, but to the average Brit Canada and the US are pretty much the same thing...). Anyway, her song Ironic got it all wrong, and gave Brits the impression "Americans" don't get irony. We know different, of course .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #65
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
That's ironic.

Actually, no it's not . It's really all Alanis Morissette's fault (and I know she's Canadian, but to the average Brit Canada and the US are pretty much the same thing...). Anyway, her song Ironic got it all wrong, and gave Brits the impression "Americans" don't get irony. We know different, of course .
I'm pretty sure that I, personally, am only slightly more qualified than Alanis to defend the proposition that Canadians/Americans (yes, I'm also aware that your lumping us together constitutes fightin' words to my northern neighbors) get irony. Perhaps I've opened an off-topic subject that now makes me nervous. Still, those podcasts sting.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #66
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that I, personally, am only slightly more qualified than Alanis to defend the proposition that Canadians/Americans (yes, I'm also aware that your lumping us together constitutes fightin' words to my northern neighbors) get irony. Perhaps I've opened an off-topic subject that now makes me nervous. Still, those podcasts sting.
I guess it is off-topic a bit, but what do they say in these podcasts that are getting your dander up?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #67
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I guess it is off-topic a bit, but what do they say in these podcasts that are getting your dander up?

I adore Friday night comedy from BBC Radio 4: The News Quiz and The Now Show. It's all in good fun. For years I worked in two national parks heavily visited by international tourists. Now I have a thick skin and there is not much that can get my dander up.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #68
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
I loved this one, also. Sarah Caudwell's books are hilarious. Begin with Thus Was Adonis Murdered. Tom Sharpe is very funny. I also loved Three Men in a Boat and, of course, anything by P.G. Wodehouse. All of these, except Jonasson, are British, but clearly one is not required to be British to enjoy the wit. I therefore take issue with the many BBC podcasts taking a condescending view of the supposed inability of Americans to grasp irony.
You may not need to be British to enjoy the wit, but you may need to understand cricket...

And I think you have to be born British, or Commonwealth, at least, to understand that...

BTW, Adonis is on sale right now on the Amazon UK site for 99p:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thus-Adonis-...dp/B009GJ33VY/
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:33 PM   #69
cocopuff
Connoisseur
cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simpletouch Glowlight, Kobo Aura H2O
All of the Jeeves stories by P.G. Wodehouse. They all have very similar plots, which I normally hate in books, but Wodehouse makes each one unique and hysterical. I can honestly say they are the funniest books I have read.
cocopuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #70
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopuff View Post
All of the Jeeves stories by P.G. Wodehouse. They all have very similar plots, which I normally hate in books, but Wodehouse makes each one unique and hysterical. I can honestly say they are the funniest books I have read.
I love the Jeeves books, but don't forget his Blandings stories - if anything I enjoy these even more. Still the same formula of pretty much the same plot for each book, but plot is very much secondary in a Wodehouse story. There's such a joy in the writing and the way he crafts a phrase. I could open up pretty much any randomly selected Wodehouse book at a random place and start reading (in fact I frequently do this) and I'm laughing straight away.

I can't put my finger on exactly what it is about the way he writes, but there's just something about it that makes me happy.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:02 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My recommendation is the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. I have gotten some really good laughs. Also, some of the humor is in line with type you are looking for.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:27 PM   #72
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Don Quixote,USA by Richard Powell
A Nameless Witch by A. Martinez
Pyramids by Terry Pratchett
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:11 AM   #73
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The Retief series by Keith Laumer.

Here are some reviews from Goodreads:

https://www.goodreads.com/series/42193-retief
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #74
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
"The Witches of Karres," by James H. Schmitz.

I have fond memories of this wonderful SF book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TheWitchesOfKarres.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	142236  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #75
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
"The Witches of Karres," by James H. Schmitz.

I have fond memories of this wonderful SF book.
I loved this one too.
If you like Christopher Moore, give Blood Sucking Fiends: A Love Story a go. Then pick up the other two in the trilogy, You Suck and Bite Me.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote