Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One problem they might have is that unless it's available in shops where people can actually go and get a hands on with it, it may not sell all that well. Imaging spending $400 on an unknown item that all you get is a picture of and no ability have actually try it before you buy. I'd be leery of it if I was an average non-tech type person.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:00 AM   #17
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
88,000 titles well exceeds what Mobipocket claims to have available right now (39,000) and far exceeds Sony's current 24,000 titles. If the new content becomes available soon in the current Mobipocket format and can be purchased to read on other ebook readers, you may want to watch this closely. Alas, those of us with Sony Readers will just have to sit back and hope this encourages Sony to catch up.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2007, 10:04 AM   #18
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
"Jot down a gloss" "highlighting?" Does this have a pen input? If it's a wacom style that would be so nice.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:16 AM   #19
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One problem they might have is that unless it's available in shops where people can actually go and get a hands on with it, it may not sell all that well. Imaging spending $400 on an unknown item that all you get is a picture of and no ability have actually try it before you buy. I'd be leery of it if I was an average non-tech type person.
Exactly my concern as well. Lack of access and demo-ability has kept many electronic devices from making it in the market. Store display units with no power, or locked up, are as hard to sell as no-display items. Unless these things start turning up at your local electronics stores, and maybe in the electronics sections of department and BigBox stores, and capable of being played with, how will they sell them to anyone but early adopter geeks?

And if the people who buy them don't show them off to their hordes of friends, who will buy after the geeks?

And another thing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The design was deliberate.
Maybe so, but if it looks like the fugly dingus we've been staring at for the past year, the design isn't very good. (Yes, I'm getting frustrated by not seeing an up-to-date version!)

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 11-18-2007 at 10:31 AM. Reason: And another thing...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #20
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
Another interesting statement was..

And if you or a friend sends a word document or PDF file to your private Kindle e-mail address, it appears in your Kindle library, just as a book does.

This implies DOC as a file format also. And that may include pictures that the Sony's RTF does not do right now
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #21
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Email to other Kindle users? Is that a joke? That's just not an incentive for me to buy the Kindle.

I'm convinced that publishers will make books available in all formats, not just the Kindle mobi-pocket one so if its library is 88,000, so will everyone else's in short time.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:44 AM   #22
paulkbiba
Connoisseur
paulkbiba began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e61i, iPhone
I don't see any mention of a charge, or lack of charge, for the EVDO connection. Is it included in the price of the machine? Paying $400 and then a monthly charge on top of that seems a bit much to me.
paulkbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:48 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkbiba View Post
I don't see any mention of a charge, or lack of charge, for the EVDO connection. Is it included in the price of the machine? Paying $400 and then a monthly charge on top of that seems a bit much to me.
Nobody "knows" anything for sure yet - all we have are speculation and unsubstantiated rumour.

I think, however, that it's highly unlikely that any type of data transfer which uses mobile phone technology is going to be "free". People are happy to pay $400 for a mobile phone, and then pay a monthly subscription to use it. It is a proven business model.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:56 AM   #24
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Duntemann View Post
This could work, whether or not it is (as I think) ugly as sin. Much depends on what sort of DRM is built into the system, and who imposes the DRM: Amazon or the publishers. I've already made the promise to my readers: No DRM of any kind, ever.

On the other hand, it's still unclear what publishers will have to do (or more to the point, pay) to get titles into the store. That matters a great deal too.

$400 is a lot of money, so the public may not be as nuts about the damned thing as we gadget freaks are. Let's watch.
As a publisher it is your choice when you deal with a distributor such as Amazon or Sony to provide your books with or without DRM. And prices could reflect the difference.

I am thankful to an author such as yourself to think of his readers as you do.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #25
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshzilla View Post
"Jot down a gloss" "highlighting?" Does this have a pen input? If it's a wacom style that would be so nice.
The gloss is presumably via the keyboard. Where is goes (and highlighting) may be via the select wheel and cursor bar (to the right of the screen).

We have seen the device (and the associated manual), but not its software (and user's guide). The software is sounding very capable, but reviews from actual users will tell us for sure.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #26
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
The question is will those Mobi e-books for the Kindle also work on other Mobipocket-capable devices? It's not difficult to imagine that Amazon added some kind of flag that would restrict an e-book to a specific device type.
They don't even have to add a flag. It is already possible to restrict a MOBI e-book to a single PID. The vendor can allow 1, 2 ,3, or 4 PIDs, and can allow them to be changed, by downloading the file again with new PIDs, or not.

If Amazon makes ~80,000 title available in MOBI format, that would be a huge advance in itself. I hope they allow 4 devices per e-book, and allow purchases without a Kindle. Even if they don't, there will still be price pressure on other e-book sellers and many of those MOBI titles will be available from other retailers.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:03 PM   #27
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I have to admit when I saw the first pictures of the Kindle I thought that it was just a functional prototype and they were setting the bar really low so whatever they came out with would look better. I can't believe that they're actually releasing that design.
My thoughts, exactly. The ability to annotate books is really great, and a much-loved feature on my PDA reader (and much-missed on my Sony 505), but there has *got* to be a more attractive way to implement that keyboard. Your cry of conspiracy seems a bit steep, I can't imagine Amazon would waste this kind of money to prove a point.
Bezos has been known to exaggerate the importance of his pet projects, remember the hype he created for the Segway?
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #28
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
People are happy to pay $400 for a mobile phone, and then pay a monthly subscription to use it. It is a proven business model.
Except it's not so proven in the ebook industry. If memory serves, the earliest ebook readers required a monthly subscription and direct-download via telephone cable plugged into the device, no computer required. Hopefully Amazon looked at the failures of those devices when developing their own direct-download ebook device and have come up with a better solution. Perhaps something like a "wireless tax" on each download, so cost is tied to usage.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
But presumably the wireless method will not (I hope!) be the only download method. I don't see anything wrong with having an optional wireless download service for which there's a charge, as long as content can also be downloaded over the internet via a PC and transferred to the device that way.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #30
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
Your cry of conspiracy seems a bit steep, I can't imagine Amazon would waste this kind of money to prove a point.
Bezos has been known to exaggerate the importance of his pet projects, remember the hype he created for the Segway?
I agree with you, that's my disappointment talking. I just can't believe that can't do better after they claim that they "needed a year to get it right". Mac didn't have Amazon's vast resources and he created the equivalent functionality on something that's 100 times more sexy.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16122

If they came out with that design for $399 I'd be telling everyone I know to buy it.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote