Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-26-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
hippiestarr
hippiestarr began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 4, iPad 3, and Nook Simple Touch
Using Calibre with Kindle Touch or Nook Touch

I've been using my iPhone as an ereader for the last year. The newest Stanza update has caused the app to crash which has me now looking for an ereader.

I'm looking at the Nook Touch ($79 at Best Buy this week) and the Kindle Touch. I'm trying to figure out how they work with Calibre though.

What I loved about the Stanza app was that it would wirelessly connect with Calibre and that I could view the metadata in my library on the phone. My husband cant get that feature to work on his nook app so I'm wondering how it works on other ereaders.

Some of my pdf/epub files are not main stream stories so I really need the descriptions that I save on the metadata in calibre to show up in the library on my reader.

So I'm really hoping that someone can shed some light on the functionality of Calibre with Nook and Kindle. I've been spoiled with the ease of use with Stanza so now I'm worried that I wont be able to get the same benefits out of an ereader.

Help?

hippiestarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Calibre will serve books in your library up on ANY device on the planet, that can run a web browser. Including Nook and Fire. There are other, more involved methods, of getting at your library outside of browsers, as well.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
You cannot use the Nook with calibre's sharing over the web server feature. This is a limitation of the Nook. I don't know about the Kindle Touch. I assume the Kindle Fire would be able to do this but it comes down to if the Kindle Fire allows you to save and load saved content into it for reading.

The Nook is very much a connect to your computer, put books on it type of device. The Kindle Touch will be similar.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
You cannot use the Nook with calibre's sharing over the web server feature.
Eh? Even with a web browser like, say, Opera?
Old 11-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Eh? Even with a web browser like, say, Opera?
The Nook Touch doesn't allow 3rd party apps. It also doesn't have a user accessible web browser. There are ways to get to the web browser but it is unable to download anything. The only two ways to put books on the Nook Touch are syncing with your B&N library or side loading via USB with a computer.
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
gweminence
Fat Guy

Ah, I didn't know that, thank you. I was thinking of the tablet version, for some reason, despite the OP clearly saying 'touch'

D'oh!
Old 11-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
hippiestarr

Quote:
You cannot use the Nook with calibre's sharing over the web server feature. This is a limitation of the Nook. I don't know about the Kindle Touch. I assume the Kindle Fire would be able to do this but it comes down to if the Kindle Fire allows you to save and load saved content into it for reading.

The Nook is very much a connect to your computer, put books on it type of device. The Kindle Touch will be similar.
Ok, so I would not be able to sync them. But I could still transfer my calibre library using the usb connect.

My husband uses the nook app on his android phone v/s my stanza app on my iphone. I'm not impressed with his nook app but then again that could be the difference in user use or even the difference in app functions. I cant view the metadata info on books in his nook app that have been taken from his calibre library. He puts them on there using a car rather than usb or wireless connect. So maybe it's the difference in how he loads it?

My main thing is that I want to make sure which ever ereader I use that I can in fact see all my saved descriptions of the books while I'm on the reader.

This would be so much easier if I could have both the nook and the kindle in my possession for a week to play with

I was going to go pick up the nook today at Best Buy but my order didnt go through last night and now today they arent running the same special (Yesterday it was $79 and you got a free 2 gb sd card with 30 books for free. It's still $79 with no freebie today.) so I might hold off and continue my comparison shopping a little longer.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiestarr View Post
My main thing is that I want to make sure which ever ereader I use that I can in fact see all my saved descriptions of the books while I'm on the reader.
No matter what reader you choose you can always re-convert and have calibre insert a jacket into the book with the relevant metadata. Even if the reader cannot display your saved info directly you can still get to it by peaking at the first few pages of the book.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #9
hippiestarr

Quote:
No matter what reader you choose you can always re-convert and have calibre insert a jacket into the book with the relevant metadata. Even if the reader cannot display your saved info directly you can still get to it by peaking at the first few pages of the book.
How do I do that?