Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #151
r.bares
r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo touch
Am a fairly new user, had my kobo touch a couple of weeks now. Was just testing a second microSD card and can verify I am having problems with a 2gb kingston, yet everything works fine with a 16gb sandisk. The 2gb card is formatted as FAT32 (and has been reformatted recently), the Kobo doesnt even recognise that it is inserted. I have tried mobi, PDF, and image files, seperately, and in all cases the Kobo does not respond to the card being inserted or include the files in the library after a power-cycle. I have also tested the same card with known-working PDF files in two further Kobos at a local store, exactly the same issue. The card is known to work in multiple other devices, including two mobile phones, a Sony PSP, and a USB adapter.

Secondly, I just had a look at my Reading Stats, and see a mysterious "R%" below the book title of my current ebook, which is apparently "101% completed" despite the progress bar showing approximately 60% (which is also wrong). Amusingly the book also doesnt match the front-cover shown when the device sleeps. This is a new issue for me. Perhaps the Kobo didnt like me removing the 16gb card while powered on, despite no ebook being open at the time. *shrug*

Lastly, keep up the great work, very much enjoying the device and its great to see the community spirit on the forum too. I have a very small ebook collection but would also be happy to be included in beta-testing if that would be of any use.

Last edited by r.bares; 11-30-2011 at 04:23 PM.
r.bares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #152
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
I've occasionally seen that happen as well although I'm not sure about the current firmware release. It seems like the Touch is frozen for a second or so. I then tap again and it quickly goes forward two pages.
I see this a lot (every firmware release so far), and have gotten into the habit of touching the center of the page when the page didn't turn, the page changes to the correct page and the menu comes up a second center tap to get rid of the menu instead of the additional tap to go back a page.
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #153
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
For several versions now, I've had a minor glitch where it refuses to process any page swipes, no matter how hard/soft long/short fast/slow right/left etc. The page will not advance until I tap to page forward and then the swiping works perfectly again. I've had this intermittent glitch for the past several revs now.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #154
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
I definitely have the double page turn issue, and I still get it with the 1.9.14.
I have an odd question for those getting the double page turn:

Does it make a difference where you are at the time?

Discussing this with my girlfriend who also has a touch she complained that the only time she sees it is when she's in my den. Thinking about it I don't remember seeing it when outside or in my living room, so was wondering if the compact fluorescent bulbs in the den may be contributing. (I've been thinking of pulling them out as I'm not a big fan of the light quality anyways)
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #155
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
XrXxca. Interesting point. Indeed I do have a CF bulb within a food of my shoulder most of the time when I'm reading. I'll have to pay attention to that.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #156
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
XrXxca. Interesting point. Indeed I do have a CF bulb within a food of my shoulder most of the time when I'm reading. I'll have to pay attention to that.
I too have had the double page turn... and yes now that I think of it I have only had that happen when I am at home and all my lights CF bulbs....

This is worth investigating I think.

thanks for the heads up

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:05 PM   #157
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
I have had the Double Turn happen once since the upgrade in a book that had been giving many DTs before. I read mostly at night before I go to sleep. I still have an incandescent bulb in the lamp beside my bed. 60 watts. . .
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:28 PM   #158
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrXca View Post
I have an odd question for those getting the double page turn:

Does it make a difference where you are at the time?

Discussing this with my girlfriend who also has a touch she complained that the only time she sees it is when she's in my den. Thinking about it I don't remember seeing it when outside or in my living room, so was wondering if the compact fluorescent bulbs in the den may be contributing. (I've been thinking of pulling them out as I'm not a big fan of the light quality anyways)
I have had my kobo touch lock up on me completely several times in the direct sun. I assumed it was simply the touch screen getting too hot/too much glare or whatever. It was easily fixed by shading the screen, waiting a while, then the screen became responsive again.

We don't have any fluorescent bulbs in our house but I still get the double page turn. I'll start noting down where I am and under what lighting conditions.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #159
Brianrh
Connoisseur
Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDown View Post
Does one need to connect Kobo Touch to computer ever after finalizing first setup? Can I do the firmware upgrade without computer connection (I haven't done any yet)?

I am Linux user myself, and I did my first KT registration on my Windows machine, but I have not used the Kobo Desktop software since. I have purchased one book so far from Kobo bookstore, but I just synced whe KT via wifi and book did get synced to device.
I couldn't decide after reading this post and the previous few if the first registration had to be done on a Windows machine? Could this be done using Wine running on my Linux Mint 12 machine?

Thanks.
Brianrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #160
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrh View Post
I couldn't decide after reading this post and the previous few if the first registration had to be done on a Windows machine? Could this be done using Wine running on my Linux Mint 12 machine?
I haven't got the USB communication to Kobo working under Wine. Installed Kobo desktop via winetricks.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #161
Seldon_SL
Seldon_SL began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDown View Post
I haven't got the USB communication to Kobo working under Wine. Installed Kobo desktop via winetricks.
You need to follow this instructions:
http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php?title=Kobo

Worked for me to activate a kobo Touch last month.
Seldon_SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:42 AM   #162
Brianrh
Connoisseur
Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldon_SL View Post
You need to follow this instructions:
http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php?title=Kobo

Worked for me to activate a kobo Touch last month.
I can't try this until I get my KT at Christmas but thanks for the info.
Brianrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #163
Senkrad_Luna
Senkrad_Luna began at the beginning.

Device: ds1000s hopeful
Non registered Kobo not working - very annoying

Hi I saw there was concern about 9.14 and not registering a Kobo. I never registered my Kobo and figured I would try to manually apply the update anyway. And I got it to work. It all seemed fine;

1.Buy Kobo, refuse to register it(x2)
2.Update Kobo manually using files from link provided earlier in this thread, refuse to register it(x2)
3.Factory reset the Kobo
4.Update Kobo manually again
5. Enjoy

After 3 I had put a few books on to make sure I could still use it and when I did 4 the files were not deleted and they work fine.

While writing this I figured I should check that I could add files now. I cannot. The software is on there for recognising the new books but it does not trigger, instead the please set up the kobo screen appears.

I figure someone will know how to trigger the software to do the update.

I purchased a piece of electronic equipment and I have no interest in providing my personal details. The "extra features" of registering are of no interest.

Any suggestions appreciated.

For now I guess I reflash each time I want to add books. I can only guess it will have no long term effects if done several times a week.
Senkrad_Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #164
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I honestly don't get it. Use an email account other than one you normally use. Use your great Aunt Mildred's old address and be done with it. I do similar things for grocery store discounts. They ask me for my phone number--I give them one--just not mine, figuring it's nobody's business what I buy.

Last edited by taming; 12-01-2011 at 01:11 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #165
Geeky
Enthusiast
Geeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senkrad_Luna View Post
While writing this I figured I should check that I could add files now. I cannot. The software is on there for recognising the new books but it does not trigger, instead the please set up the kobo screen appears.
What software are you refering too? The firmware, or the Kobo Desktop software? Did you try adding books using Calibre? The GUI might not be easy to use the first time, but uploading books and adding them to the database on the device might work? I use Calibre to add books to my Kobo frequently, it always worked. But I did register my Kobo.
Geeky is offline   Reply With Quote