Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Libre
Eleven year old daughter ... & JBL

The JetBook Lite was recommended to me in another thread for my eleven year old daughter. (who steals my Nook at every opportunity)

So, I have a Nook Classic that I love .... I have books from several stores ... I think they are all in ePub format. I also borrow library books (which was why I chose the Nook) ... I'd like to stick with $100 or less as a birthday present ...so actually, she'd be twelve!

I have researched the JetBook Lite and really like the idea of it not having any wireless connection. That way no one can "accidentally" buy books. (as would be possible with a refrub Nook)

Anyway, I'm told that the JetBook Lite will read all the same files as my Nook, so anything I already have (I have some books for her) and can be used for checking out books from Overdrive libraries.

My only issue is that I can't see it. I have located sources ... Newegg if I want black and J&R Music & Computer (through Amazon) if I want burgundy. ... though I lean towards Newegg (free shipping and an extended warranty available)

SO, (I know, I was wordy) for those of you who have them, how confident can I be buying one sight unseen?

My daughter is very responsible ... digital camera for four years without a nick (until big sis broke it), but I still don't want anything that seems flimsy . . . she's also pretty good with computers/electronics, but I still want something that's relatively easy to figure out. (And can read the same formats as the Nook)

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Susie
Olathe, KS
Catsnkites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I would say with confidence that a Jetbook Lite is no more fragile than a typical MP3 player or cell phone -- besides, kids are usually pretty good with technology that they like! If you're really worried, get the leather case -- although that will likely push you a bit over $100.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I don't feel like the JBL is particularly fragile. If you can find a store (e.g., Borders or Best Buy or Wal-Mart) that sells the Aluratek Libre Pro, the JBL is basically the same form factor, except for the battery bump at the back for the AA batteries (which actually makes for a nice handhold).

I suggest picking up a wrist strap for the JBL (like the ones on a camera). That might help prevent accidental dropping of the device.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:45 AM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Susie, I bought mine sight unseen, and I'm very happy with it.

If your daughter is careful, I don't think that there would be any more likelihood of her breaking it than an adult...but I wouldn't take it out of the house.

I second the suggestion of your getting the leather slipcase for it. I've been much more comfortable putting the device in a drawer since I got mine.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:46 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The JBL handles the Barnes and Noble .epub format very well, and a number of other
formats as well. Any files you have that can be read on your Nook, can also be read
on a JBL, as well as some not listed for the Nook.

I like the "slipcase" myself, but you might find the Aluratek Libre Pro leather case a
better choice, in this situation. I've seen it available for under $20. (You would cut
a rectangle out of the back for the battery bump, but there will be plenty of leather
around the cutout, so that shouldn't be a problem.)

There is a rare problem that has been reported for the JBL where it gets locked up
and won't boot past its initial screen, I haven't encountered it with any of the four
JBLs I have on hand, and Ectaco will replace any that encounter the problem, right
away. It might be a good reason to get a new one from a reputable source, like
Newegg, not off Ebay.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 03-12-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 11:42 PM   #6
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Thanks so much for all your help ... I think I'll get her the JBL ... way ahead of her birthday, then I can play with it while she's at school and make sure I like it ... hopefully, if it's fully charged when she unwraps it, she won't notice it's been played with!

Ha! She'll vacillate between being excited to get it and ticked that I touched it before she did ...
Old 03-13-2011, 01:53 AM   #7
cromag
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, since the JBL works on AA batteries, just don't unwrap the new ones that come in the box. Put four of your own batteries in to test it. Just don't forget to take them back out when you're done!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
Catsnkites
Connoisseur

Of course! I had forgotten about it being AA powered ... which is even better for her, she can keep a spare set in her purse ... I'll need to look into rechargeable if we suddenly start going though AAs exponentially, though!

Do the "fancy" AAs make a big difference ... the Energizer "Max" or "Ultra" or what ever they are called? I use them in my GPS because my GPS sucks up regular AAs like candy. {However, I only use it on battery a few times a year, so I've never invested in rechargeable}
Old 03-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I think the general consensus favors Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables. I bought mine from Amazon--a four-pack with a charger, plus an additional four-pack. What's good about the Eneloops is that they hold their charge very well when not in use--much better than the other rechargeables I'd tried in the past.

Rechargeables are definitely the way to go.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
Catsnkites
Connoisseur

Well, shoot! I was going to buy from NewEgg ... free shipping and I've purchased from them before ..even going to get the extended warranty ...

Well, they're out and don't expect more in ... so that leaves J&R Electronics ... anyone purchase from there before? Good, bad, indifferent?

Thanks for all your help!

Susie
Olathe
Old 03-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
If you do get her the jet book lite make sure you use the features that only the jet book lite has. The ability to read just about all formats available.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #12
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Duplicate

Last edited by Jabby; 03-14-2011 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Duplicate
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsnkites View Post
Well, shoot! I was going to buy from NewEgg ... free shipping and I've purchased from them before ..even going to get the extended warranty ...

Well, they're out and don't expect more in ... so that leaves J&R Electronics ... anyone purchase from there before? Good, bad, indifferent?

Thanks for all your help!

Susie
Olathe
I have purchased from J&R Electronics many times with no problems. I once had a return and that caused no problems either.

I second the Sanyo Eneloops rechargeables. You might also look at the Kodak "pre-charged" (same thing but sometimes easier to find - think big box stores).

Regards- John

P.S. Many years have passed since I was in Olathe - but I always loved the name!
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #14
cromag

I've bought several items at J&R over the years, big and small -- never had a problem. I had one error where they charged shipping on something that was supposed to ship free. One phone call took care of it.

(If you place the order on their website and then go to Amazon to complete the order, double check the shipping costs -- sometimes the Amazon default doesn't match the J&R website default. One click will fix it.)
Old 03-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #15
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I have only ordered from J&R once - a half dozen CDs that were on sale.

They arrived in a thin padded envelope with every jewel case cracked, one shattered at the corner. Fortunately, I had plenty of blank jewel cases, so it didn't bother me.

But considering how flimsy the JBL box is, I would request that J&R ship it in a box rather than their padded envelope.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote