Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
NST Updated : shelves have disappeared

This time I've had it. I have updated again my Nook, and the shelves have all disappeared.
Does anybody know of a method for keeping them over the updates or to easily re-create them ? It took me a long time to organize my 400 books by hand, and all for nought.
I'm really upset. We have a feature, which is potentially nice but it is not possible to use it because it is liable not to work.
Could we pester B&N to deliver a way for save and restore shelves ? Does anybody know of a way of doing it ?
I do not believe Calibre can help, last I read, it can only work with Sony readers.

Oh boy am I cross. Sorry for venting it out here.

Would rooting help ?
Thanks in advance for the help.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
DiannaInVA
Enthusiast
DiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Nook
I refuse to use the shelves until they make them easier to use and make it so they can be backed up. So far there is no way to back them up (that I am aware of).
DiannaInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
This time I've had it. I have updated again my Nook, and the shelves have all disappeared.
Does anybody know of a method for keeping them over the updates or to easily re-create them ? It took me a long time to organize my 400 books by hand, and all for nought.
I'm really upset. We have a feature, which is potentially nice but it is not possible to use it because it is liable not to work.
Could we pester B&N to deliver a way for save and restore shelves ? Does anybody know of a way of doing it ?
I do not believe Calibre can help, last I read, it can only work with Sony readers.

Oh boy am I cross. Sorry for venting it out here.

Would rooting help ?
Thanks in advance for the help.
If you root, you should be able to restore the shelves as long as you know the app that creates them. You can use an app like Titanium Backup.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Oh no. I was trying to get my Nook to update earlier but I don't want my shelves to disappear. I had to turn the Nook off last week and all my micro SD books were gone off the shelves when I turned it back on; I JUST got everything back the way it was. Hoo boy.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
My shelves are still there. It sounds like you guys are running up on the micro SD card shelving issue and I would LOVE if B&N would fix the damn thing!

Basically if you reboot, sometimes if you connect your nook to a PC and also if you update the firmware, all books shelved from a micro SD card will disappear from your shelves.

Content from the built in storage pool and books from B&N that are loaded in the B&N reserved space are preserved on your shelves through reboots, firmware updates, etc. Or at least that has been my experience.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
My shelves are still there. It sounds like you guys are running up on the micro SD card shelving issue and I would LOVE if B&N would fix the damn thing!

Basically if you reboot, sometimes if you connect your nook to a PC and also if you update the firmware, all books shelved from a micro SD card will disappear from your shelves.

Content from the built in storage pool and books from B&N that are loaded in the B&N reserved space are preserved on your shelves through reboots, firmware updates, etc. Or at least that has been my experience.
I cannot really say if that is the problem. I wonder whether the micro SD is the culprit, as shelves should also contain material in the main storage area of the nook.
It might be a fluke, for my problem, but I would still like very much to have the means for saving and restoring these shelves.
Better yet to have the capability of handling them via the PC.
I owned a Cybook from Booken, till last year when the screen broke. It had the wonderful facility (which is common in the Booken line) to have folders which could actually be used.
Shelves are a pale imitation, but they are useful if you have more than a few books stored. And the more books you have, the more shelves you need, and the longer it takes to organise them and maintain them.

Thanks for the support, though.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This is a well-documented issue with Nook Touch.

Barnes and Noble has not yet fixed this glitch. Perhaps they never will.

However, even though their file management isn't worth doodly-squat, the reading experience on the Nook is wonderful.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
However, even though their file management isn't worth doodly-squat, the reading experience on the Nook is wonderful.

Don
Amen to that. I played once with the shelves to see what was the fuss about it, but didn't bother after that. The one shelf I had is gone, I think I reset the device in the meantime, but it may have disappeared by itself - don't know, don't care.

When I look for a book, I use the search feature in the Library. Shelves would be useful if it was easy to add the books to them and there was some backup mechanism to it - as it is, it is cumbersome and too fragile to be useful.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
brudigia
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This is a well-documented issue with Nook Touch.

Barnes and Noble has not yet fixed this glitch. Perhaps they never will.

Don
I am not saying it is not, although they could do with a few more fonts. That is one reason I am using it still. It just galls me that I wasted quite a while in building these shelves which then disappeared.
Sigh ...
Old 03-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just got a notification on my Nook that the firmware had been updated to 1.1.2.

I'm happy to report that all my shelves are intact.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
So something I have noticed with the update though, I am not sure if it just has something to do with the current book I am reading, or if I am having an issue with 1.1.2, but twice now when I hit the book icon to go back to my current book and location it reset to the location to the start of the book. I just started reading the book shortly after the 1.1.2 update and it might be coincidental. I've had that happen every once in awhile, though not common. Maybe 3 or 4 times out of the dozens and dozens of times I have hit the book icon in the 4 months I have owned this nook or the previous one.

So maybe just a complete coincidence...but still annoying. I guess I'll just have to start bookmarking before I navigate somewhere else just in case until I see that this was just a fluke.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
tecweston
Comic book artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
So something I have noticed with the update though, I am not sure if it just has something to do with the current book I am reading, or if I am having an issue with 1.1.2, but twice now when I hit the book icon to go back to my current book and location it reset to the location to the start of the book. I just started reading the book shortly after the 1.1.2 update and it might be coincidental. I've had that happen every once in awhile, though not common. Maybe 3 or 4 times out of the dozens and dozens of times I have hit the book icon in the 4 months I have owned this nook or the previous one.

So maybe just a complete coincidence...but still annoying. I guess I'll just have to start bookmarking before I navigate somewhere else just in case until I see that this was just a fluke.
I have that happen with side-loaded books. Often when I go to the "home" screen it will say I'm on page 1 of 1. Clicking the book icon in the upper left on any screen will take me back to the beginning of the book, but if I click on the book's cover in my library, I'll go to the correct place. Bookmarking also doesn't seem to help, because if I click on the book icon anywhere but in the library, it deletes all bookmarks and sends me back to the beginning.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
I have that happen with side-loaded books. Often when I go to the "home" screen it will say I'm on page 1 of 1. Clicking the book icon in the upper left on any screen will take me back to the beginning of the book, but if I click on the book's cover in my library, I'll go to the correct place. Bookmarking also doesn't seem to help, because if I click on the book icon anywhere but in the library, it deletes all bookmarks and sends me back to the beginning.
Had that problem as well. The only solution I have found is to remove the book from the NST, unplug (so the library refreshes), plug it and then copy the book again.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #14
tecweston
Comic book artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Had that problem as well. The only solution I have found is to remove the book from the NST, unplug (so the library refreshes), plug it and then copy the book again.
That only works some of the time, I've found. I've just learned to live with it.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Shelves themselves are there (for me). As usual with any restart, items from the memory card were dropped from the shelves.

Maybe that will be fixed with the next update?
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote