Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
onewayherway
Enthusiast
onewayherway began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader 505
Is the only place I can buy ebooks in Canada now Kobobooks?

I used to shop at a variety of ebook outlets but now there are all these geographic restrictions and the only place I can get books like Michael Connelly is Kobobooks. Prices now are higher than paperback versions. What the heck is going on. Seemed like ebooks were once about choice and now they are higher priced and restrictions. Anyone have any ideas? I may not buy now and instead just get books from the library. I am not going to pay more for an ebook than a paperback.
onewayherway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo
Is the Michael Connelly book one that's just been released? I have found that if a physical book is only available in hard cover ... then the ebook price is high. Readers have always had to decide whether they want to read the book "now" [and pay the hard cover price] or if they could wait until "later" [when the paperback is out.]

If I am going to purchase an ebook, I found found that kobobooks.com's prices are generally less expensive than, say, Sony's.

I generally borrow books from the library ... and convenience of doing this with an ereader is truly wonderful.
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
It's the same situation at Amazon. The ebook is more expensive than the hardcover.

The Reversal is sold by Little, Brown & Co so will be available as ebook at libraries.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
onewayherway
Enthusiast

These are books that are already in paperback. This is something I have just noticed this month as I haven't bought anything for awhile. I can hardly find any Connelly books at Sony that aren't US only now.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo
I just nipped over to take a look ... and the Connelly books seem unreasonably high priced ... some of the older ones are more expensive than the latest one ... which is $15.99 ... which is at least $10 less than the hard cover ... but is still too high for me.

I tried to log in at the Sony ebook store ... but it seems it's down for maintenance.

I don't know why there would be geographical restrictions to Michael Connelly books in Canada ... because his books are readily available in Canada. It doesn't make sense ... at least not to me. Perhaps it's a glitch. Have you tried emailing either store?
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
You didn't state where you live. At the Toronto Public Library, 24 Michael Connelly novels are available in ePub. That ought to keep you going for a while.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
nklein
Enthusiast
nklein began at the beginning.

Device: ppc, soon a ipod touch
I'm having this problem too
I used to shop at fictionwise had huge credit there, now every book I want is restricted and I mean everything, out of 24 books I had on my list to read the only one not restricted for me in canada was Dan Brown books, is there some way to get around this? can someone in USA buy me books? if I can buy the paper version here why not the digital version whats the diff?
please if anyone can help us restrited Canadians get a book...! lol

I've never heard of getting ebooks from the public library?
nklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by nklein View Post
I've never heard of getting ebooks from the public library?
It's been around for sometime here in the States. I check out books all the time; mostly audiobooks.

Not sure how well established it is up in Canada, but a quick Google found this:

British Columbia Libraries
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Toronto has it also.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
The Toronto and Mississauga library systems also offer e-books.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #11
nklein
Enthusiast
nklein began at the beginning.

Device: ppc, soon a ipod touch
so does anyone know away to get around the geo restriction?
nklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Move to the states.

Yes, there are convoluted ways around this; there are good threads about that here.

I am finding kobobooks has a good selection of titles. Have you checked Sony's site as an alternative?

Generally, if an ebook does not have Canadian rights, no one will have it. If you find Amazon sells a Kindle version of the title in question, fire off a note with the specifics to Kobo and they may be able to "turn it on" in Canada. I've had that experience already.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:49 AM   #13
onewayherway
Enthusiast

But why has it changed so we can no longer buy ebooks by some authors on any site but kobobooks. One of the reasons I bought a sony was so I could buy my ebooks anywhere. Now I am restricted to Kobobooks. I have nothing against them but I don't like being restricted on where I buy books. My only other choice now I guess is to buy a Kindle so I can buy from Amazon. I can buy paperbacks at a variety of sources but not ebooks. I know this doesn't matter to Americans but this is very restrictive. I might just go back to buying books instead of ebooks.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I guess the real question is why Sony doesn't carry as many books with Canadian distribution rights as Kobo does.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #15
onewayherway
Enthusiast

It isn't just sony but Barnes and Noble and borders and ereader and cool-reader. This is why people turn to illeagal downloads because they are being shafted by publishers.