Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 04:19 AM   #1
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Question Where the Dickens do I start?

A few years ago I was bought a lovely hardcover collection of Charles Dickens novels which I keep meaning to read.

As I've never read any Charles Dickens, I just don't know where to start and am a bit overwhelmed.

Are there any Dickens novels which you would recommend I start with? The length of the book is not an issue as I've read plenty of long books - just so long as the story is engaging!

Oh and I think I'll read the ebook versions and leave the hardback books pristine.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd suggest "Oliver Twist". Wonderful story with great characters.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:31 AM   #3
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you - I'll put that at the top of my list then.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:40 AM   #4
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Definitely Oliver Twist followed by A Christmas Carol I'd say. Those two are beginners Dickens. Then I'd say probably Great Expectations.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:51 AM   #5
poshm
Fanatic

Thank you Seagull. I've seen a film of Great Expectations and enjoyed it (old film not new!) so I expect I would like the book.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:00 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
Oh and I think I'll read the ebook versions and leave the hardback books pristine.
A very good idea – HarryT has uploaded some splendid versions to the ebook sections here on Mobileread.

Mobipocket (Kindle) Oliver Twist:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17412

ePub Oliver Twist:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54085
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:02 AM   #7
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Great Expectations or David Copperfield. Both are highly readable.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:26 AM   #8
poshm
Fanatic

Thanks very much pdurrant and greenapple. I will certainly read the versions inherent first. I've read lots of ebooks on mobileread and the quality is usually superb. Thank you.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:10 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
Definitely Oliver Twist followed by A Christmas Carol I'd say. Those two are beginners Dickens. Then I'd say probably Great Expectations.

I'd vote for that or.... Christmas Carol, G.E. and O.T.(I still have to read O.T. myself).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:34 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'd vote for "Oliver Twist," as a beginning although this book is not my favorite amongst his wonderful novels. It is, however, a very accessible work.

I love his writing.

Harry, if one is not aware of this fact, has produced some of the most beautiful and textually correct ebook editions of Charles Dickens' work.

His compilations are lovely attractions on any ebook Reader.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:46 AM   #11
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Go for his lighter works first like "Oliver Twist", then move on to "David Copperfield". My favourite Dickens is "Nicholas Nickleby". The only one I don't like is "Dombey and Son".
Have lots of fun reading them.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:18 AM   #12
poshm
Fanatic

Thanks so much for the additional suggestions. I've loaded up Oliver Twist on my Kindle ready to start Reading right after my daughter's playgroup this morning - no point trying to read there! Far too noisy!
Old 03-23-2010, 10:33 PM   #13
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I really enjoyed David Copperfield the most, out of all of Dicken's work. But Oliver Twist is a good short novel to start :-)
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote