Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
carmelra
Zealot
carmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toys

Device: iPhone
Sony Reader does not support Hebrew ePub

Hi,

While attempting to view an Hebrew ePub on a Sony Reader, the result is just question marks and no real Hebrew text.

The same ePub work perfectly with Stanza, Calibre, Azardi, Bookworm, ePubReader addon for Firefox etc.

When using an ePub with embedded fonts the result is not good as well and the text is not readable.

Any idea about how to solve it?

Thanks.
carmelra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I only know about one way to do it - create PDF file.
Do you speak Russian? Even if you don't, go to Russian ebook forum. I am sure there are a few guys from Israel who managed to create very good quality PDF files with hebrew text. Ask a question in English and they will help you.

Good luck!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Zelda has a step-by-step post on how to use Calibre and a CSS file with your (Hebrew) fonts.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
carmelra
Zealot
carmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I only know about one way to do it - create PDF file.
Do you speak Russian? Even if you don't, go to Russian ebook forum. I am sure there are a few guys from Israel who managed to create very good quality PDF files with hebrew text. Ask a question in English and they will help you.

Good luck!
Thanks. But all the idea is that I want to use ePub and not a PDF file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Zelda has a step-by-step post on how to use Calibre and a CSS file with your (Hebrew) fonts.
Thanks. But as I wrote, I used embedded fonts that resulted in the text appear in the other way around (i.e. not RTL as it should). This is not readable.

I really don't understand how Sony claim they support the standard while they fail to do it properly.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelra View Post

Thanks. But as I wrote, I used embedded fonts that resulted in the text appear in the other way around (i.e. not RTL as it should). This is not readable.
I'm not very experienced in creating CSS but Google search shows that you can use a CSS to make the text read right to left.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
carmelra
Zealot

Quote:
I'm not very experienced in creating CSS but Google search shows that you can use a CSS to make the text read right to left.
Exactly right! The CSS I'm using is using direction:rtl as specified. In addition, the xhtml files themselves contain dir="rtl" for each paragraph.

It is supported properly by Calibre, AZARDI, FBReader, Bookworm, Stanza - all these readers display the text properly (RTL).

Sonny Reader does not!
Old 02-07-2010, 12:33 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Well, it looks like a lost cause. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
What may be true for Japanese is not necessarily true for Hebrew. The only format that currently supports Right-To-Left and mixed character direction in the Sony Reader is PDF. Well, unless you are making an "image-sequence" LRF or EPUB. Embedding or replacing native fonts in the firmware is not sufficient to make Hebrew work in the non-PDF text-based formats in the Reader. We tried.

As hard as it may be to believe, the East Asian languages are in this one sense closer to English than the alphabet-based Hebrew and Arabic.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:40 AM   #8
carmelra
Zealot

Quote:
Well, it looks like a lost cause. Sorry.
Thanks.

It's really disappointing. How hard should it be to fix a problem of style issue?