Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Nook vs. Kindle2 vs. Sony PRS300 (or 505 if can be found)

Okay. I feel like I know a fair bit about ebook readers now, I've been in since the Gen3 came out and I am really happy with my Sony. My sister has just asked me to help her with choosing an ebook device and I am struggling a little, however. The difficulty is in putting myself in her shoes:

Facts: My sister can operate and perform basic functions such as email, word documents, synching her ipod (with uploaded CDs - she has never to my knowledge used the Itunes store independently of my involvement), watching DVDs. She mostly wants to read novels although she would be happy if some history non-fiction was available as well. We live in Canada. She has typical far-sightedness (ie. reading glasses) issues for her age and would like a book that she could potentially use to read without the glasses.

Of course my first instinct at the moment is Sony, to me it is easy, has an attractive form factor and comes from a tried and tested manufacturer. I am guilty of the typical anti-Amazon sentiment regarding security and privacy of my device and captive retailing. However, I can see how a person who is not terribly comfortable with computers might prefer one that enabled them to essentially search and purchase a book from wherever they are with the touch of a few buttons and no computer required. I know both the Nook and the Kindle have this capability - I don't know how much more idiot proof it is however compared with using the Sony Store. I don't know almost anything about the Nook except that it reads B&N specialty epubs and presumably can read unencrypted epubs as well.

So, if any of you are like my sister and have some experience with these devices tell me which you would prefer?

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would go with a PRS-900 for your sister. It's very easy to use and the bigger screen means you'll be able to have more text at a larger size for her. Since she can operate an iPod, the 900 will be easy enough to use. If the iPod is a Touch, then the 900 will be simple. The battery is nice, the speed is good, & ADE supports full justification. Plus by being ePub compatible, more store choices to buy books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
She may have to play with the font sizes on the Sony. I found I was missing some in-between sizes that were more comfortable for me. Sometimes the text would be too small and the next size too big (M-L on the 505) I now run my books for the 505 through Calibre with a base font size of 14 points (or change it via a CSS).

The Kindle is easier for me to read without my glasses (which is how I prefer to read) with a consistent font size through all my books (I read on 4 out of 6).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote