Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-22-2017, 11:44 AM   #16
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Even with your bad experience with voice input you still seem like a good candidate for it. You need to use a higher quality directional microphone or headset. A noisy environment should not be an obstacle for a good directional mic.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:29 PM   #17
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I haven't found headsets which use bluetooth, and which have good ear protection >30 nrr, or which clip onto ear protection.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:55 PM   #18
caelo4
caelo4 began at the beginning.

Device: none
First off, you don't state whether you have seen a doctor or physical therapist. I am a Student Physical Therapist Assistant so my advice would be to see someone to treat your issues so you can resume your writing in the near future. If not properly treated and allowed to heal, some complications can become chronic with repetitive use and take years to heal. The idea is to resume to normal activities and not just live with the problems. I know we all want to continue writing or exercising but sometimes a few steps backward will help you move farther forward in the future so you aren't dealing with complications for the rest of your life.
caelo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:14 PM   #19
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've seen a few general practitioners, a physical therapist, and a neurologist about this since this started almost 6 years ago.

Most of them suggested non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. I tried low-dose nsaids for several months, even though they added gut pain to the arm pain. It turns out nsaids and other salicylates can also worsen hyperacusis. I now avoid them.

I haven't lost any arm or hand strength, but I have been in constant ulnar-nerve pain, and I may have worsened my coordination/proprioception problems.

Last edited by MarjaE; 02-24-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:40 PM   #20
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I've seen a few general practitioners, a physical therapist, and a neurologist about this since this started almost 6 years ago.

Most of them suggested non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. I tried low-dose nsaids for several months, even though they added gut pain to the arm pain. It turns out nsaids and other salicylates can also worsen hyperacusis. I now avoid them.

I haven't lost any arm or hand strength, but I have been in constant ulnar-nerve pain, and I may have worsened my coordination/proprioception problems.
When it comes to setting up an adaptive computer system, it's an occupational therapist who is the most appropriate provider. Pretty much all doctors and most physios wouldn't have a clue. Best wishes
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:56 AM   #21
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Yes, when I had all the trouble way back when, I ended up seeing the hospital OT. They had several set-ups for me to try, and gave me a 'prescription' for a better chair - the contract chairs they had at the time were too narrow and weren't adjustable enough. This is when I tried the vertical mice - which I still have but don't use (need) anymore - and the forearm cradles (the clamp types).

Mind you, this was at Addenbrookes Hospital - I don't know if a smaller hospital would have that kind of set-up.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:39 AM   #22
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
My RSI started in 2004 and I've been dealing with it ever since. Drugs don't help at all because they don't address the root cause of the problem which is bad posture. Normal doctors don't really know anything what to do about RSI, at least that's the case in Germany, where I live. As an RSI patient you can't really expect anyone to help you, you have to help yourself. And there is no easy way out, because as soon as you get RSI, the damage has already been done and it takes a lot of discipline and patience for your body to heal.

Posture is essential because the nerves in the arms get easily impinged in the shoulder area. Proper alignment of the shoulders frees the nerves and muscles in the arms, wrists and hands.

I would definitely recommend getting information about proper posture and starting an exercise program that strengthens the core muscles and helps to improve posture. Here are some things that have helped me over the years:
  • Esther Gokhale's book "8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back" illustrates common mistakes Westerners make when it comes to posture and proper alignment, and it also shows positive examples from countries all over the world, where back pain and similar ailments are virtually unknown.
  • New Callanetics is a great way to strengthen the deep muscles that keep us upright and properly aligned.
  • Martha Peterson's program "Move without Pain" is very easy to learn, helps with overall stress release and makes the brain relearn how to move the body properly. Book and DVDs available.
  • The MELT Method helps to make the fascia more flexible again and is a good way to relieve everyday pain in the hands and arms (you need to get the "Hand and Foot Kit" for that).

I'm not affiliated with any of these practitioners or programs, I'm just a fan because all of these programs were developed by people dealing with their own pains, unable to find help from normal doctors and therapists.

In the end, it takes a lot of dedication and discipline to follow through with any of these programs. It took me a lot of time to learn these training regimes, but I still regularly do them because it helps me to stay pain-free most of the time. However, I still have to be careful about how much work I do at the computer or when I use an e-reader or my smartphone.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:32 AM   #23
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The other thing I would recommend trying is sitting every so often on a gym ball; that will help with posture and core muscle exercise. You'll wobble around alarmingly at first and will have to kneel straddling the ball with your toes on the ground, but if you persevere you'll end up kneeling on the ball with your feet tucked up. (Not recommended if you have to wear a skirt at work!)

Alternatively, if your knees will take the pressure, try a kneeling stool (be warned, they can leave you feeling mildly skinned if the fabric is too harsh). Compared to a gym ball, they can be very expensive though.

I have various Callanetics DVDs, but it's best if you can find a class. Alternatively, try yoga - I did supple strength classes for a while which is very similar to Callanetics (some exercises I couldn't do because of back problems but on the whole I could cope). Pilates I found put too much strain on my back.

Last edited by maddz; 02-26-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:10 AM   #24
MarjaE
Guru

I also have occasional tailbone pain and chronic foot pain.

Since I have a laptop computer, even if I mostly use it as a desktop, I can switch it to different setups.

Maybe I should try lying on my belly on a wedge pillow?
Old 02-28-2017, 05:18 AM   #25
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
I also have occasional tailbone pain and chronic foot pain.

Since I have a laptop computer, even if I mostly use it as a desktop, I can switch it to different setups.

Maybe I should try lying on my belly on a wedge pillow?
I don't think you'll be able to work on your belly. Your arms and shoulders will be pushed upwards and you won't be able to take a natural, proper posture.
Try sitting or standing as upright as possible.
If you suffer from further pain, you should try a workout programme that deals with the whole body, like Callanetics, Somatics (Move without pain) or Yamuna Body Rolling.
Rolfing would also help to align all the parts of your body. Each body part is dependent on the rest of the body. People can have a crooked tooth and it will cause back pain.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:45 AM   #26
maddz
Wizard

Do you use a wedge cushion? The type I have has a cut-out at the back which may help with tailbone issues. IIRC, it came from Staples (in the UK but you should be able to find one at any major office supply shop or order from Amazon - like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medipaq-MEM...osture+cushion). I don't think mine is a memory foam type though - it's probably too old. It also helps if you have the type of chair that doesn't have seat tilt as it mimics the tilt effect.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #27
MarjaE
Guru

My natural posture is flopped over, okay?

It's always been that way.

I feel alright and don't get these if I'm exercising, but I get worse brain fog and worse disorientation if I'm just sitting up or standing up.

I sometimes use a wedge cushion, sometimes don't.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #28
maddz
Wizard

Quote:
My natural posture is flopped over, okay?
I'm pretty much the same way - when seated at least. Which can cause problems when doing long distance driving - at least more modern cars have useful things like lumbar support. I also have short legs relative to my back and arm length so I have to use a foot rest when doing computer work and drive in a boy racer position (which caused problems when I drove boy racer cars!)

My ideal seated position would be in a Le Corbusier recliner - back and lumbar support, and leg support (a bit like I am at the moment - in an armchair with a lumbar cushion and my shins and feet on a high footstool). However, computer work in that position isn't on - I can use a tablet but that's it.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:07 PM   #29
MarjaE
Guru

I am still in a lot of pain and need a solution.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:56 AM   #30
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I am still in a lot of pain and need a solution.
That sucks. I continue to recommend professional consultation with an occupational therapist.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accessibility, ergonomics, repetitive strain injury, rsi