Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #466
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Anyone have any idea whether this new firmware release addresses this battery issue? Can't seem to see any indication in the new firmware thread.

Dont know about Tintin, but after 4 1/2 months, 4 different readers, and dozens of days of testing, on what was a gift for someone else, I personally have no more patience. If excising a useless flap on a $16 cover will make this thing functional until Kobo can figure out their problem, I'm fine with it.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #467
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Anyone have any idea whether this new firmware release addresses this battery issue? Can't seem to see any indication in the new firmware thread.

Dont know about Tintin, but after 4 1/2 months, 4 different readers, and dozens of days of testing, on what was a gift for someone else, I personally have no more patience. If excising a useless flap on a $16 cover will make this thing functional until Kobo can figure out their problem, I'm fine with it.
I understand your point of view, though the patience aspect I referred to was just using the switch to put it to sleep and then wait a few seconds before closing the cover. However, since I see no use for the flap on these covers, and so would probably have attacked before now anyway!

Regardif whether anyone knows anything about the next firmware release - this is Kobo. Do you really expect them to let anyone know anything? Anyway, they all seem to be mixing wth the great and the good at the launch of the Aura ...
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #468
tchucker
Banned
tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kobo mini, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One
I have had my glo for a while now, and the only time I have had battery issues is when updating and syncing. My battery use is pretty constant, but when I am syncing it is not uncommon to see a drop of 20% in under a minute.
tchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #469
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
In my best Bruce Campbell in "Bubba Ho Tep" voice, uh type, "The King's gotta do, what the King's gotta do!" Accompanied with appropriate King's Karate-like gesture.

I might've tried crazy gluing that flap into a pocket first, but then hindsight is always 20-20. And heaven knows enough people think my head is up there anyway, so "hindsight" should be no problem for me...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #470
xPm
xPm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!xPm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!xPm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!xPm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!xPm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!xPm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!xPm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!xPm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!xPm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!xPm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!xPm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo
For what it's worth, I used to lose ~20% of the battery charge over night when I put my glasses on the screen before going to sleep, but it seems like after the 2.5.0 update it doesn't happen anymore.

Anyone else confirm ?
xPm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #471
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchucker View Post
I have had my glo for a while now, and the only time I have had battery issues is when updating and syncing. My battery use is pretty constant, but when I am syncing it is not uncommon to see a drop of 20% in under a minute.

This is why I always save updating and syncing to do when the battery needs charging...at least whenever possible....so it's plugged in while this is going on, so no battery drop.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #472
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Not sure how relevant a single test is but I tried putting a felt foot from a chess piece on my Glo screen. With the 2.4 firmware, I lost about 20% of the battery overnight (~ 7.5 hours). With the 2.5 firmware, it dropped 1% overnight. In both cases, when I placed the piece near the right edge of the screen, it did a page forward and then went to sleep after the 5 minute delay.

This was a one off test so may not mean much.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #473
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
In my best Bruce Campbell in "Bubba Ho Tep" voice, uh type, "The King's gotta do, what the King's gotta do!" Accompanied with appropriate King's Karate-like gesture.
Haha. Great movie! written by a great author too.

Quote:
I might've tried crazy gluing that flap into a pocket first, but then hindsight is always 20-20. And heaven knows enough people think my head is up there anyway, so "hindsight" should be no problem for me...
I tried double-faced tape, but it let go rather quickly. The inside of the cover has a bit of sag to begin with. So trimming it not only solved the problem, but the leather edge on the flap acts to keep the cover just a little further away.

FWIW, it appears my Gecko Sony cover touches the screen when closed too, but Sony doesn't have any battery/screen issues.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #474
VelvetElvis
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not sure how relevant a single test is but I tried putting a felt foot from a chess piece on my Glo screen. With the 2.4 firmware, I lost about 20% of the battery overnight (~ 7.5 hours). With the 2.5 firmware, it dropped 1% overnight. In both cases, when I placed the piece near the right edge of the screen, it did a page forward and then went to sleep after the 5 minute delay.

This was a one off test so may not mean much.

Regards,
David
That's good to hear. Thanks.

Boy, I sure wish there were some official input from Kobo on this.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #475
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"Bubba" is just one of those weird li'l things you've got to like, especially if you get Bruce Campbell... I've liked him since "The Adventures of Briscoe County, Jr." days. Ozzie Davis was good in "Bubba" too. Nearly, better.

Quote:
Boy, I sure wish there were some official input from Kobo on this.
The Corporate Marketing Department Version of Plausible Deniability: If you hear about a mistake you made and then correct it without ever commenting on it, sooner or later people will stop talking about it, and eventually "it never happened..."
Old 04-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #476
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I asked: Nothing has been changed.

And "Bubba Ho Tep", great movie. I'll have to track it down again as my sons would love it. But, I when I think Bruce Campbell, I think of him in "Burn Notice".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #477
TechniSol

"Spies, What a bunch of whiny little girls..."
Old 04-19-2013, 03:53 AM   #478
VelvetElvis
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
For those who haven't bought a cover yet and are wondering what to buy, I might just mention here that the official Kobo sleepcover (at least the fabric one) doesn't have a pocket inside the front flap, and doesn't seem to have this issue. So it's not a matter of all sleepcovers not working as designed, but of some interfering.

I would amend that to *covers*". The one causing me unnecessary grief is not a sleep cover.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:24 AM   #479
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
I would amend that to *covers*". The one causing me unnecessary grief is not a sleep cover.
OP, since this thread became so long, would you mind editing your first post with what was the problem and how it was or wasn't solved?
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #480
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryhte View Post
OP, since this thread became so long, would you mind editing your first post with what was the problem and how it was or wasn't solved?
That is a good idea. Trawling through thirty-plus pages to work out that a) it is nothing to do with sideloaded epubs, and b) that the work-around is simple is not going to endear us to anyone!
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote