Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
taita87
taita87 began at the beginning.

Device: rooted Nook simple touch
CHM to EPUB, blank pages

Hi everyone.
First my presentation, I am alberto from italy, my device is a rooted nook simple touch.

It's the first time I get this error. It happens with a .chm book of 200 MB. I imported it in calibre, then converted it into .epub, the first time without the "linearize tables" option, the latter checking it.

Opening the book with my nook, the TOC happened to be simply perfect. No missing chapters, no meaningless links. I said...ok, let's try to read something...and every chapter I select, all I get is a blank page! You cannot turn the page back or forward, you can only turn back to the TOC by pressing the menu button.

Can you help me? Do you need some more information? Thank you guys
taita87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Tables can be problematic in ePUB, especially large or complicated tables. Fire up Sigil and check the code is what I would do.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I agree with Toxaris. I wonder if maybe some of the links point off the device to the computer or the internet.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
ab7vf
Enthusiast
ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: dxg and newfound Icarus 8
Maybe try "archmage" to go from chm > pdf then ?something-else? to go from pdf to epub .. I've used it (just chm to pdf) and it works ok .. mostly
It will also go chm to html but I havn't tried it

Jim
ab7vf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
taita87

When I open the epub with Sigil it freezes and stop working...or maybe it needs 30 minutes to open it lol...
Old 10-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
taita87

Quote:
Originally Posted by taita87 View Post
When I open the epub with Sigil it freezes and stop working...or maybe it needs 30 minutes to open it lol...
Wonderful! It happened to be the latter

Now that I have it, what information do you need from Sigil?
Old 10-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, look at the code of a chapter and see how it is build up. See if you can see the pages in Bookview and try the validate option.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
taita87

I validated it but nothing more happened...Anyway, every time I open it with Sigil it takes 20-30 minutes opening..
I don't know what to do with the html code

Same thing with just 1 html file converted to epub, so it's not a size-related issue

Last edited by taita87; 10-11-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:56 AM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard

It really should be a size thing. Sigil starts up quite fast with regular sized books (up to 2-3 MB). With books the size you are creating, it will take a lot of time.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:30 AM   #10
taita87

The Html is 107 Kb in size, but I get the same blank page effect...It's not a size related issue in this regard...

I don't know what to do
Old 10-12-2012, 03:08 AM   #11
taita87

Some messages validating the html:

This resource is reachable but not present in the OPF <manifest>. "Reachable" means that a reference of some kind that points to this resource exists in the epub.

The <language> element is missing.
The <title> element is missing.
attribute 'language' is not declared for element 'script'
attribute 'darget' is not declared for element 'a'
attribute 'onMouseUp' is not declared for element 'a'
value '355.0' does not match regular expression facet '[-+]?(\d+|\d+(\.\d+)?%)'
attribute 'width' is not declared for element 'td'
empty content is not valid for content model '(caption?,(col*|colgroup*),thead?,tfoot?,(tbody+| tr+))'
Old 10-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard

Well, you got some work to do then. The file is not according to specs and give unexpected results. Your tables have a problem, tables in ePUB can cause issues. There are several reports in the forum about tbody, thead and tfoot. I believe support for those are not always available.

The first two are simple enough to solve. Open the metadata editor in Sigil and enter the title and language.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
taita87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Well, you got some work to do then. The file is not according to specs and give unexpected results. Your tables have a problem, tables in ePUB can cause issues. There are several reports in the forum about tbody, thead and tfoot. I believe support for those are not always available.

The first two are simple enough to solve. Open the metadata editor in Sigil and enter the title and language.
the problem is: I get something like...50 similar entries...and this is only about 1 html...I can't manage the whole book
Old 10-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
It may be some consolation, that the same errors may be repeated in each section. If you can search and replace a problem for one, it may clear up the same one in the other sections.

You do know that epubs are all just .zip files collected together. You can unzip the file and open a section in a text editor to see if you can figure out what is going wrong. Tweak epub, part of calibre or as a separate program would speed up the opening process, if seeing the html is helpful to you.

The messages from Flight Crew can be less than helpful. The width message can sometimes mean that you have width specified in one place in the table and nowhere else! So just use them as a pointer for something that might be out of place.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote