Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #421
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've never paid for an eBook from Amazon. I have gotten some of the free ones.
K to you for your honesty, J.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #422
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
it makes me sick to see all the people bringing in opened big screen TVs. Yes, the Superbowl is over, but how greedy can you be? Reminds me of when I was a kid and my mother returned a Christmas tree, without a box, a week after Christmas. Some people just don't have any self-awareness.
You should see the return line at the Walmart.

I once saw a woman trying to return a steam cleaner (no box or receipt) that was clearly years old and used hard. Another man was trying to return a half blown up air mattress that I swear he dug out of a dumpster. It was filthy, old, and a brand they didn't even carry. People have some nerve.

Since post #1 in this thread, I've sided with Amazon. I don't buy the "poor, innocent me" routine.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #423
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I once saw a woman trying to return a steam cleaner (no box or receipt) that was clearly years old and used hard. Another man was trying to return a half blown up air mattress that I swear he dug out of a dumpster. It was filthy, old, and a brand they didn't even carry. People have some nerve.
In one of my early retail jobs (I had many, coming from a retail small-business-owning family) Our manager related some of the customer service episodes he'd been involved in. One elderly man insisted on returning a lawnmower. The store didn't even SELL lawnmowers.
After trying to be reasonable and failing, he gave the guy credit for his lawnmower. He decided a happy customer was worth whatever store credit he had to write off.

On the one hand, I respect that attitude toward customer service and relationship management. On the other hand, that store is long since out of business.

Now, Please note the new commercial message that JC Penny is putting out there, with the aid of the lovely and talented Ellen DeGeneris, to attract customers:

Last edited by ApK; 03-05-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #424
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The only time I over buy with a possibility of returns is during Black Friday. Even then, any items I return are still sealed and within the return window.

Outside of that, if there's even the slightest chance I might return something, I won't buy it.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #425
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The only time I over buy with a possibility of returns is during Black Friday. Even then, any items I return are still sealed and within the return window.

Outside of that, if there's even the slightest chance I might return something, I won't buy it.
Mine is when I'm doing home repairs/improvements, I buy everything I think I may need and then some, just in case. At the end of the project, I gather everything unused/unopened and return it with the receipt. Even if I just get store credit, I know I'll be starting another project again soon.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #426
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandD View Post
Mine is when I'm doing home repairs/improvements, I buy everything I think I may need and then some, just in case. At the end of the project, I gather everything unused/unopened and return it with the receipt. Even if I just get store credit, I know I'll be starting another project again soon.
I do the same with home projects. If I'm doing a project that involves tilework, I've been known to buy 3 or 4 sets of tile (including all of the trim pieces and grout) that are being considered. At the end of the project, I return everything that was not used. With my last bathroom remodel, I returned over $2,000 in tile and trim pieces alone.

So far, Lowes and Home Depot have not cancelled my accounts for excessive returns.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #427
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Returning new and sealed products is one thing - the store can simply put them back on the shelf and re-sell them. Returning opened and used products that can't be re-sold is an entirely different kettle of fish.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #428
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Returning new and sealed products is one thing - the store can simply put them back on the shelf and re-sell them. Returning opened and used products that can't be re-sold is an entirely different kettle of fish.
Hence, my earlier post about legitimate reasons for returning stuff. You can game the system because the system allows it, but that doesn't make it ethically right.

p.s. I'm not innocent of gaming the system, myself, on occasion, but I don't try to convince myself that it was the right thing to do. I own the guilt of all my past transgressions.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #429
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Returning new and sealed products is one thing - the store can simply put them back on the shelf and re-sell them.
Depends on the store. I won't do that with Amazon any more.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #430
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hence, my earlier post about legitimate reasons for returning stuff. You can game the system because the system allows it, but that doesn't make it ethically right.
You're still wrong. Different kettle of fish doesn't mean wrong, just different. Returning items within the store's stated and advertised policy and the law is not INHERENTLY illegitimate, gaming the system, unethical or in any other way wrong by any understandable meanings of the words.

I acknowledge that a policy can be abused, and one can find ways to do wrong with it. Buying a TV to watch the Superbowl with the intent of returning it is wrong.
Buying a TV, watching the Superbowl, realizing you're not happy with the set, and returning it is NOT wrong, if that's allowed by the policy of the store.

The store may suspect you of the former even if you're not guilty of it, and may decide at some point to cut you off, but that doesn't make what you did wrong.

ApK
Old 03-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #431
RolandD
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You're still wrong. Different kettle of fish doesn't mean wrong, just different. Returning items within the store's stated and advertised policy and the law is not INHERENTLY illegitimate, gaming the system, unethical or in any other way wrong by any understandable meanings of the words.

I acknowledge that a policy can be abused, and one can find ways to do wrong with it. Buying a TV to watch the Superbowl with the intent of returning it is wrong.
Buying a TV, watching the Superbowl, realizing you're not happy with the set, and returning it is NOT wrong, if that's allowed by the policy of the store.

The store may suspect you of the former even if you're not guilty of it, and may decide at some point to cut you off, but that doesn't make what you did wrong.

ApK
But why are you unhappy with the set? Does it not function as advertised? Or, have you now decided that you want a bigger screen?
Old 03-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #432
ApK

Quote:
But why are you unhappy with the set? Does it not function as advertised? Or, have you now decided that you want a bigger screen?
One, none of your business. Until you create your own return policy, it's not up to you to decide what's a legitimate reason.
Two, if the store has a no questions asked, satisfaction guaranteed return policy, then it's really none of their business either, though I presume they want to know if it's defective so they won't resell it.
Three, You say "Does it not function as advertised?" Advertised? ADVERTISED? The store ADVERTISED a good return policy. As long as we agree it's right to stand behind what's ADVERTISED, then we have no argument.

ApK
Old 03-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #433
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is too many people buy a TV just for the Super Bowel and then try to return it after. That's wrong.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #434
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
The problem is too many people buy a TV just for the Super Bowel and then try to return it after. That's wrong.
The real problem is the general degradation of ethics and the indifference to unacceptable behavior. Stealing, cheating on school exams, lying, scamming, sadly, has become the new norm for far too many.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #435
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Super Bowel
Yes, I agree.
Closed Thread