Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-31-2020, 08:26 AM   #46
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many!
I just ordered a Pocketbook Color from Sotel (German electronics retailer) for GBP 192 including FedEx to the UK... (Approx. USD 248 including taxes and delivery)

May be the price will come down in coming months, but I think that is pretty good. Alas they did not have any Pocketbook cases/folios in stock, so I have to search elsewhere...

P.S.:- I think Sotel ship all over Europe, so maybe a good option. I will report back if any problems.

Last edited by Crowriver; 07-31-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:47 PM   #47
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
So as far as I know the 300 dpi only works with black and white? If you want to show grey it's over?

It's a nice tech demo but as long as there are no bigger e-reader with colors at least in the (real) 200dpi resolution I won't be interested.

I suspect Amazon will provide a Paperwhite Color in the near future?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2020, 02:11 PM   #48
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An honest review at The Digital Reader here:

https://the-digital-reader.com/2020/...ketbook-color/

I have to say I quite like the sound of "old newsprint" quality...
Old 08-01-2020, 06:04 AM   #49
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowriver View Post

Nate again writes that
«Kaleido screens [...] are limited to displaying those colors at 100 ppi»

This seems to be counterempirical and should be substantiated.
I will post this again:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=329162&page=8

If what you see in the pictures is at 100-ish DPI, then also the (black-on-white) text is 100 DPI!!! You would see it!!!

EDIT: I tried to post at Nate's, it does not seem to be working for now but maybe there is a delay...

Last edited by mdp; 08-01-2020 at 06:18 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #50
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
True, but also when You review a Kindle You should show small font sizes, the ones that are likely used by the majority of users.
majority? I doubt that.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2020, 09:03 AM   #51
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Nate again writes that
«Kaleido screens [...] are limited to displaying those colors at 100 ppi»

This seems to be counterempirical and should be substantiated.
I will post this again:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=329162&page=8

If what you see in the pictures is at 100-ish DPI, then also the (black-on-white) text is 100 DPI!!! You would see it!!!

EDIT: I tried to post at Nate's, it does not seem to be working for now but maybe there is a delay...
your comment was held for approval (it was your first, I think)
Old 08-01-2020, 09:12 AM   #52
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

As for the screen resolution weirdness, Pocketbook has always said they had a screen capable of displaying 100 ppi color and 300 ppi grayscale.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #53
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
I think you are making a fundamental mistake in associating resolution in such traditional thinking. A traditional "computer pixel" has a RGB value. From those values you can determine luminance and chrominance. Old style sub pixel rendering takes advantage of the color elements being at a higher resolution. With Kaleido it is opposite. The smallest element is no longer an individual color element, but a third of a color element.

As a result individual color pixel can only be displayed at 100ppi resolution, but at 300ppi placement accuracy. Also the edges of this color pixel are not necessarily square, but can vary as long as it covers enough third color elements.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:18 AM   #54
Crowriver
Groupie

Hm, either stock of this device is very limited, or they are selling out quickly (or both). "Currently unavailable" on Amazon UK, also on Sotel. Available on both yesterday (more than one seller on Amazon)...
Still selling on pocketbook'de
Old 08-01-2020, 10:57 AM   #55
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

Quote:
True, but also when You review a Kindle You should show small font sizes, the ones that are likely used by the majority of users.

majority? I doubt that.
For small I mean 3 or 4 size in Kindle. IMHO 1 or 2 is unreadable and with dimension greater than 4 there are too few words in a row. But I don't know if somebody has never done a inquiry.

PS sorry but I don't know how to report a quote inside a quote.

Last edited by ps67; 08-01-2020 at 11:02 AM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:06 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowriver View Post

It would have been nice to see pictures of 300DPI B&W mode.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:06 AM   #57
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
As for the screen resolution weirdness, Pocketbook has always said they had a screen capable of displaying 100 ppi color and 300 ppi grayscale.
Can you mix the modes on the same screen at the same time?
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #58
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
For small I mean 3 or 4 size in Kindle. IMHO 1 or 2 is unreadable and with dimension greater than 4 there are too few words in a row. But I don't know if somebody has never done a inquiry.

PS sorry but I don't know how to report a quote inside a quote.
I vaguely recall a reddit thread back when the kindle subreddit wasn't just a glorified instagram feed. The most popular sizes are 2 and 5-7. Readers either want big (in fact 5 is the standard size) or small and compact. It is a bimodal distribution where the average might be 3-4 but few actually use those sizes. I do and you do. But many go larger or smaller.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:08 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Can you mix the modes on the same screen at the same time?
That would be good to have color for graphics and 300DPI B&W for text.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:09 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I vaguely recall a reddit thread back when the kindle subreddit wasn't just a glorified instagram feed. The most popular sizes are 2 and 5-7. Readers either want big (in fact 5 is the standard size) or small and compact. It is a bimodal distribution where the average might be 3-4 but few actually use those sizes. I do and you do. But many go larger or smaller.
I find the problem with the Kindle is that there needs to be in between sizes. One size is too small and the next up is too large.