Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: With ComfortLight turned on and low light setting, do you notice colored blotches?
Yes, green blotches from bottom center 20 15.15%
Yes, green blotches from bottom right 22 16.67%
Yes, green blotches from bottom left 18 13.64%
Yes, different location 10 7.58%
No 80 60.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #31
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli3d View Post
Just spoke to Kobo and after receiving the bad device, they said that it is normal.

Will try to return

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
You could point them to this thread. If it’s “normal” for Kobo then just tell them you do not agree with their normal and return the device. If they have previously exchanged the reader then they have admitted that it’s perhaps not completely “normal” but if they have changed their mind, so can you...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:23 PM   #32
heli3d
heli3d began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Their customer service is just terrible.

1PM today i received an email stating that they reviewed my original device and it was working normally, therefore they will not sent another replacement.

at 3pm i asked for a refund for which they agreed.

at 4:30 They said they are sending me a new one already.

All the reply's were from different reps, so i don't know what is going on.

i am just going to get a refund, and hopefully, order one in the future when the quality control is improved.

I did sent them a link to this thread. I think they are in denial

if the kindle comes out with a night mode, I would buy that one. I really like the night mode when it works well and doesnt have annoying green light cones
heli3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2017, 09:39 PM   #33
matrixsoul
matrixsoul began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I bought an Aura One at Bestbuy (Canada) last week and about half the bottom of the screen was green with the ComfortLight (the other 3/4 was orange). I exchanged it and I could now see a green column of light over one of the right LED. I exchanged it again and both the far right and far left LED were green instead of orange and one of the center LED was way more powerfull than the rest in the "normal" light mode. I returned it.
matrixsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:04 PM   #34
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixsoul View Post
I bought an Aura One at Bestbuy (Canada) last week and about half the bottom of the screen was green with the ComfortLight (the other 3/4 was orange). I exchanged it and I could now see a green column of light over one of the right LED. I exchanged it again and both the far right and far left LED were green instead of orange and one of the center LED was way more powerfull than the rest in the "normal" light mode. I returned it.
Wow, that really sucks. Such a waste of time. But good on you for returning them rather than making do. Hopefully, if enough get returned, they'll pay more attention to quality control.

Should you ever get one with a properly functioning comfort light, they are quite nice. Don't think I will ever part with mine after hearing all the stories about the dreaded green splotches which others have been dealing with. That's really not acceptable on a premium device.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:13 PM   #35
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Another Comfort Light quality control problem with new model Kobo Reader. Maybe QC inspector is color blind.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2017, 04:25 AM   #36
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixsoul View Post
That’s essentially what happened to me until I found the One I currently hold dear used on eBay (warranty intact and a bargain).
I really think that the One is not a bad device (although minor annoyances cannot be ignored sometimes) but the QC at Kobo really sucked on all levels with this device, from production to firmware...
I hope mine lasts for a while until Amazon comes around with a larger screen eink-type device...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:30 AM   #37
heli3d
heli3d began at the beginning.

I finally got a second replacement and it's better, but not perfect. Going to keep it because much easier on my eyes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
heli3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:09 AM   #38
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
I got my KA1 yesterday, and find it quite lovely except I've got the dreaded green tint! Photo attached is at brightness 6% and natural light about 60%, all on 4.3.9084 firmware. Without the natural light, it is fine and even.

It feels irritating enough to return for a swap. Especially for £189..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	green-corner.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	156563  
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:52 AM   #39
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Hmmmm... it would appear that math is not the polling engines strong point.

At least when I look at the results:

Code:
Bottom of the poll box says voters: 61

Yes, green blotches from bottom center 		7 	11.48%
Yes, green blotches from bottom right 		8 	13.11%
Yes, green blotches from bottom left 		6 	 9.84%
Yes, different location 		        5 	 8.20%
No 		                               39 	63.93%

For a total of                                 65      106.56%
Quick clue here is that 39 votes out of 65 is exactly 60.00%.

Yours in nitpicking and quibbling....

Last edited by DNSB; 05-07-2017 at 03:01 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #40
coconutsoda
coconutsoda began at the beginning.

I have green blotches on the bottom center/right on mine so I've turned off the orange light entirely and just use the white light. Better than dealing with shipping back to Canada and waiting for a new device that might have the same issue. Doesn't bother me to use the white light. I just want to read in the dark and feel like a kid with a flashlight again.
coconutsoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:08 PM   #41
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmmm... it would appear that math is not the polling engines strong point.

At least when I look at the results:

Code:
Bottom of the poll box says voters: 61

Yes, green blotches from bottom center 		7 	11.48%
Yes, green blotches from bottom right 		8 	13.11%
Yes, green blotches from bottom left 		6 	 9.84%
Yes, different location 		        5 	 8.20%
No 		                               39 	63.93%

For a total of                                 65      106.56%
Quick clue here is that 39 votes out of 65 is exactly 60.00%.

Yours in nitpicking and quibbling....
I think it may be because people can choose multiple options. So...someone could choose that they have blotches in the bottom center and the bottom right and the bottom left and a different location. So...it really *is* 39 out of 61 total people voting, not 39 out of 65 people voting.

Shari

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:59 AM   #42
aklenatlus
Enthusiast
aklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
I got my KA1 yesterday, and find it quite lovely except I've got the dreaded green tint! Photo attached is at brightness 6% and natural light about 60%, all on 4.3.9084 firmware. Without the natural light, it is fine and even.

It feels irritating enough to return for a swap. Especially for £189..
I have exactly the same problem, I have a lighter area on the bottom right of the ereader. I don't know if to ask for a replace because I'm worried I'll receive a worse one. It's a pity because for me the device is fantastic
aklenatlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:06 AM   #43
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklenatlus View Post
I have exactly the same problem, I have a lighter area on the bottom right of the ereader. I don't know if to ask for a replace because I'm worried I'll receive a worse one. It's a pity because for me the device is fantastic
I'm prepared to keep going back until I get a better one! I don't think there's any way to test it in the store, because IIRC there's no access to the light controls until you've set the device up with your Kobo ID. So I do foresee some frustrated shop assistants...
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #44
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I guess it's issues with new tech. But all hell will break loose if the problem continues with the new H2O. It should be better than the A1 because the screen is smaller. Let's hope it's not another PW1 blotchuler debacle.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:12 PM   #45
matrixsoul
matrixsoul began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I was in another province this week and tried one more Aura One from Best Buy. It had the same issue as the first one I had. About a quarter of the screen (lower right) is green and the rest was orange...
matrixsoul is offline   Reply With Quote