Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #46
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
If some one needs more storage on there nexus 7 then they can always buy a WIFI potable storage device like the Kingston 32GB Wi-Drive or others on the market.
I could. If I gave up drinking the coffee that I don't drink. Or worked a little overtime at the job that I'm too crippled to have. Or otherwise had the extra money that I don't have.

The point being that the only thing that is always true about "always" is that it never is.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:32 AM   #47
keeska
Connoisseur
keeska has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony T1, Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Note 3
No easy way unless you root.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
A better place to ask such questions is xda-developers.com, the Kindle Fire Forum. I don't have the Fire, but I would bet you can find easy instructions there.
Actually there are not any easy instructions unless you wish to root the device. Sideloading free apps is an option but unless you root the device you cannot install the framework used by play.google.com so no access to that app store.

One of my original goals is to not have to root the device. I just want to use it, not hack it in order to run the apps I want to run.
keeska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:54 AM   #48
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeska View Post
Actually there are not any easy instructions unless you wish to root the device. Sideloading free apps is an option but unless you root the device you cannot install the framework used by play.google.com so no access to that app store.

One of my original goals is to not have to root the device. I just want to use it, not hack it in order to run the apps I want to run.
The Fire, of course, is a device specifically designed by Amazon to lock you into their system. Unless you root it (or even install a user ROM on it) not much will work. If you are so afraid of rooting, why no root, change what you want and then unroot?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #49
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quit frankly Amazon have really missed the boat with the kindle fire instead of doing a WORLDWIDE release they made a BIG mistake of only selling it in the USA.
They COULD of had nearly a years worth of unchallenged sales worldwide but now that the NEXUS 7 has arrived it has been put strait back in the shadows as yesterdays tablet/media player chop job

I myself probably would of bought one when it was released ,as back then it did not have any real rivals FOR THE PRICE but Amazon.com in there wisdom did not want to sell outside the USA.

As every one should know TIME STANDS STILL FOR NO TABLET and now the kindle fire is far less of a attraction to buy as it's already outdated by it's competition.
The NEXUS 7 out performs the kindle fire in every way and any one who tries to argue otherwise is trying blowing smoke up your ass

I think it will be very interesting to see what happens to the kindle fire if or when it hits Japan.Considering the kindle is already a year old and out classed ,and also add fact that Japanese are the most tech hungry consumers who mostly want only the very latest technology then the kindle fires future looks uncertain there.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/10/27...ability-report

Last edited by darksaber35; 07-23-2012 at 02:50 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #50
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeska View Post

Look in the Kobo Vox forums for tips on alternate app stores and specific apps. There has been a lot of discussion there since the launch in October 2011 because it originally did not have access to the Play Store.
This particular thread had a lot of suggestions for alternate stores and apps that can be gotten without rooting:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=155172&page=2

As far as stores go, you can add Aptoide, http://m.aptoide.com/ , Goodereader app store
http://goodereader.com/apps/ or getjar, handago, slideme by going directly to their home/developer pages.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 07-23-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #51
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
Quit frankly Amazon have really missed the boat with the kindle fire instead of doing a WORLDWIDE release they made a BIG mistake of only selling it in the USA.
They COULD of had nearly a years worth of unchallenged sales worldwide but now that the NEXUS 7 has arrived it has been put strait back in the shadows as yesterdays tablet/media player chop job
The Kindle Fire is mostly just a gateway to Amazon content. When it was first released, they were probably selling it for pretty much at cost and making money off Prime subscriptions, ebooks, apps, music, etc. How many countries does Amazon have media licensing deals in?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #52
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
The Kindle Fire is mostly just a gateway to Amazon content. When it was first released, they were probably selling it for pretty much at cost and making money off Prime subscriptions, ebooks, apps, music, etc. How many countries does Amazon have media licensing deals in?
I dont know there intimate business dealings and they for sure don't know mine, they made a blunder for what ever reason and missed there chance and now they will have to wait until they roll out the kindle fire 2 when ever that comes out .
BUT times have changed and the markets A LOT TOUGHER, which is good for us customers

Here in England they rolled out all the E Ink ebook readers and the books to go with them + web support so it could not of been that much more of stretch to bring the fire to UK and Europe .If they had they would of had a lot more sales as well as long term customers.

IF they try to launch the kindle fire now here it will get washed up on the shores like a dead squid and only previous kindle E Ink reader buyer's would probably purchase it out of amazon loyalty.

A $200 kindle fire in the US would be selling for around £200 =$310 as all the kindle ebook readers sold in the UK are more expensive( higher sales tax 20% and other reasons)

KINDLE TOUCH 3G UK PRICE - 262.147 USD
KINDLE TOUCH 3G USA PRICE - 149 usd

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-D0110...N%3DB0051QVF7A

Last edited by darksaber35; 07-24-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #53
darksaber35
Banned

Here's are some more Apps i started using and have found to be useful to have.Note that all the Apps i have so far posted are free as who wants to pay for them rite

A interesting article i found about gaming with a routed Nexus 7 and a PS3 bluetooth controller which i was wondering if it would work.
Oddly enough, the Nexus 7 has become my mobile gaming device of choice
http://www.phonedog.com/2012/07/18/o...ice-of-choice/

1. Camera Launcher for Nexus 7
At last you can you use your camera on your NEXUS 7 when ever you want Now you can take cheeky photos or naughty films of yourself for your male or female friends

This very simple application adds a launcher icon for the Camera application.
This allows you to use the Camera and Video Camera applications on your Nexus 7, including the funny camera effects.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cameralauncher

2. Evernote
A great App for taking notes as well as being able to do all kinds of fancy things to them like add photos and other things to them.

Evernote is an easy-to-use, free app that helps you remember everything across all of the devices you use. Stay organized, save your ideas and improve productivity. Evernote lets you take notes, capture photos, create to-do lists, record voice reminders--and makes these notes completely searchable, whether you are at home, at work, or on the go.

Key Features:
- Sync all of your notes across the computers and devices you use
- Create and edit text notes, to-dos and task lists
- Save, sync and share files
- Search for text inside images
- Organize notes by notebooks and tags
- Email notes and save tweets to your Evernote account
- Connect Evernote to other apps and products you use
- Share notes with friends and colleagues via Facebook and Twitter

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...5ldmVybm90ZSJd

3. iMDb
Another nice App to help you keep up to date on the latest movies, this App has been specially formatted to 7 inch screens so it looks really great on the NEXUS 7.

earch the world's largest collection:
· Over 2 million movie and TV titles
· Over 4 million celebrities, actors, actresses, directors and other crew members

Rate:
· Rate movies and TV shows
· Sign in with your IMDb account or your Facebook account

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...RiLm1vYmlsZSJd

4. Stitcher Radio
A great App for listening to on-line Radio around the world ,only yesterday i was sitting at home in England listening to a live radio broadcast in Alaska and it was riveting.

The Nexus 7′s built-in speakers aren’t stellar for listening to music, but they’re just fine for talk radio. Stitcher aggregates shows from sources around the web, including NPR, CNN, Fox and the BBC. The interface takes full advantage of the Nexus 7′s display, with menus on the margins that surround the content.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...Y2hlci5hcHAiXQ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cameralauncher2.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	89657   Click image for larger version

Name:	imdb.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	89658   Click image for larger version

Name:	stitcher.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	89659   Click image for larger version

Name:	evernote.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	89660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nexus-7-Camera-Fix.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	89696  

Last edited by darksaber35; 07-25-2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #54
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I could. If

My first tablet, and first Capacitive Screen, glad i waited and saved up, and didn't get one of the first gen ones.

If you do find the storage is not enough for you, there is another option, rather than the portable wifi.

I believe you root, and install a free app, Stickmount then grab a £2ish cable (USBHost) micro usb to Usb female.
Then if you do find yourself out and about and needing to either offload or load some media date etc, just plug in a usbstick. (I'll be using a mini usb adapter micro SD's as I have loads of them)

Info:
Stickmount
Cable
Cheap MicroSD
Well Produced Shows AAA

Anyway, only had it a few days, it really is Awesome. not turned it off yet.
Use a lot of the apps recommended in this thread also
MX Player was the first alternative I tried for video, and its been fine so far
I love the stock GooglePlay for Music (landscape and click on recent for the coverflow view)
now if only I could get books and videos to display like that.

Sorry long post I'll shut up now.
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #55
darksaber35
Banned

HOME WiFi MEDIA STREAMING

Yesterday i thought i would look into trying some Apps to unlock my 3 TB of HD space on my 2x PC which are crammed with most of my music,movies and photos that i have collected over the years and would want to display on my Nexus 7.

So i tried a number of App's but kept hitting a brick wall as a number of them did not work for one reason for another (mainly dew to them not detecting the corresponding Wifi server i installed on the PC for the App)

So i thought i would share with you all the ones that did work well to save you some time and trouble that i had to go through

Both these WiFi media streamers are really easy to set up and in less than 5 minutes you will have your own media server up & running and streaming all your favourite music ,movies and photos onto your NEXUS 7.

Overall i like using Gmote the most for watching movies as it allows you to watch movies using the movie App of your choosing-I use MX player as it plays almost all media formats on my PC.
GMOTE also has a swish remote control feature which turns your android tablet into a remote control for your PC So you can remotely select media files to play on your PC from your android tablet

It's also the FASTEST of the two as you can watch movies instantly unlike EMIT which you will have to wait a few seconds before a movie starts while it does the streaming .

But EMIT is defiantly the best for playing music and viewing photos as the photos displayed through GMOTE are a bit low resolution and look a bit pixelated.You can also download movies and music files from your PC using Emit.

1. Emit Free (See photos 1,2,3)
This is a great WiFi media streamer for movies ,music & photos .It's pretty fast and reliable and is so easy to set up it's idiot proof.The Media player that it uses is pretty good and photos displayed through it's photo viewer look stunning and has a slide show mode.

One of the nice features about this program is in the options screen as it allows you to set the picture Quality of both the video's and photos displayed to mineralize any lag while streaming or you can increase picture quality if u have a fast WiFi.

Watch videos live from your PC/Mac/Linux on android. Download music from iTunes.

Emit allows you to stream videos from PC/Mac(10.6+)/Linux directly to an android device from your local wifi, 3g or external wifi.

Features:
- Live encoding and streaming directly to your device. No need to wait for your video to encode entirely
- Accessible from 3g or external wifi
- HTTP Live streaming for 2.3+ devices
- .srt subtitles
- mkv subtitles
- Switching between audio tracks in movie
- Recognizes DVD folders and displays by title
- Pre encoding videos and download them to the device for offline viewing.
- Download music from iTunes. Songs will be saved to: SD_Card/Emit/Music/Artist/Album/Song.mp3

Install instructions.
1. install PC,linux,APPLE server onto your desktop PC
https://www.emitapp.com/

2. run the server choose which folders you want streaming or like me select your hole HD if you want.

3.install the EMIT Android App onto your nexus 7
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ZW1pdGZyZWUiXQ..

4.The App should auto detect your PC server so just select it and then you have full access to your media files on your PC.

2. Gmote (See photos 4,5,6 & 7)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...QuYW5kcm9pZCJd
Control your computer's media player from your phone. Stream music to your phone

Turns your phone into a remote control for your computer, allowing you to start and control movies and music at a distance.

New 2.0
Stream music from your computer to phone!
Linux support
Control PowerPoint, image slide shows
Navigate and launch websites from phone
Acts as a WiFi touchpad/keyboard (improved!)
Bug fixes

App's that failed to work for one reason or another - BubbleUPnP ,ES File Explorer ,Air Playit.Tonido works but it's so SLOWat streaming it's painful .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	200
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	90199   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	200
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	90200   Click image for larger version

Name:	-3.png
Views:	202
Size:	1,013.0 KB
ID:	90201   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.png
Views:	183
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	90202   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.png
Views:	186
Size:	435.6 KB
ID:	90203   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.png
Views:	191
Size:	513.0 KB
ID:	90204   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.png
Views:	193
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	90205  

Last edited by darksaber35; 08-05-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #56
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
thanks for above, darksaber35, interested in media streaming so going to try these out, i currently use isyncr wifi set up to auto run each day and copy a playlist from itunes direct over to the vox, but streaming would be handy when at home

out of interest, have you seen anyway of getting sideloaded epubs into google reader, i would like to cut my readers down and would be great if this was possible (not seen a way when i looked)
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #57
darksaber35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
thanks for above, darksaber35, interested in media streaming so going to try these out, i currently use isyncr wifi set up to auto run each day and copy a playlist from itunes direct over to the vox, but streaming would be handy when at home

out of interest, have you seen anyway of getting sideloaded epubs into google reader, i would like to cut my readers down and would be great if this was possible (not seen a way when i looked)
Glad i can help in any way, the only way i can think of is to convert the Epubs into the a format that can be read by google readER - i just wasted a few minutes TRYING to find out what formats it supports.

If Some one can tell me what GOOGLE READER book formats it USES then maybe you could use CALIBRE to convert them as i have used it to convert Epub and PDF to MOBI format before for when i had a KINDLE keyboard 3G.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

UPDATE - i just did some more reading and some one mentioned that the google ebook reader cant read side loaded ebooks which if true is sneaky of them.

Last edited by darksaber35; 08-05-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #58
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Long thread ...

I tried the search feature, but still can't confirm. Does the Nexus 7 provides landscape mode, yes or not? And I mean, without any rooting stuff, by default. Like on Kindle for Android app or the Internet Browser, or Nook for Android.

I may pull the trigger and order one, but because is for pure reading, not movies, lack of landscape make it useless for me; I read computer books and landscape is a must for those.

Any comments?

Thanks ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #59
darksaber35
Banned

yes it does provide landscape mode while reading ebooks and almost every thing else, the only things that wont go into landscape mode is the home screen and Apps page.

BUt you can download a FREE App that allows you to revolve all your screens any way you want and it's very fast and easy to do.

kindle ebook reader and web browser rotate by default along with every other Appp.
No rooting needed at all.

1 Ultimate rotation control -free version
If you don't like the home screen locked into portrait (see PHOTO 1) mode then there is a very simple answer to that and it does not involve changing the stock user interface.just download this App and UN-TICK in this Apps option setting -Enable per App settings. Also make sure in CURRENT ROTATION option sub folder FORCED AUTO is selected.

Last edited by darksaber35; 08-08-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:13 AM   #60
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Seems like the Galaxy Tab2 has been reduced to similar price as the Nexus. Is Samsung selling them at a loss now?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote