Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-11-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
texag
texag began at the beginning.

Sony Reader new discount

Hi everyone,

Obviously, this is my first post. I've been looking at the Sony Reader for some time now and I'm struggling with determining whether it's worth the money or not....more on this later.

Went to the Sony Style store today and they are offering an immediate $25 discount through Feb 14th. Since the $50 connect store discount is no longer available, I thought that this might be useful information for readers of this forum.

Now...back to my struggle here. I'm a former rocket ebook owner, a mac user (although I still have my old pc), and an avid reader. I love this reader, but I'm really concerned about content. I'm not real interested in the Project Gutenberg texts as I prefer more modern fiction. I've browsed the store and it's ok.

Do any of you know how many books are in the store and what Sony's realistic plans are to increase the number of books offered there? If I spend my hard earned money here, I want to be able to get all my books electronically, not just some of them.

Thanks for any suggestions and I hope the news about the $25 discount helps someone.
texag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
There are roughly 11,000 books in the connect store AFAIK. They add at least 20 new titles each week. There could be more added but they only mention 20 in the weekly email.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
As far as content, there are other places besides Sony Connect to find modern scifi e-books that can be used on the Reader, like www.baen.com, www.stevejordanbooks.com and others.

If you "must" have everything electronic, you probably have to stay with paper, or get a book scanner to scan paper books you want to read. But while Sony is aggressively trying to add content, there isn't any online e-book seller that can match the coverage of titles at BarnesAndNoble or Amazon.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if you are buying all your books at Sony Connect, they are for the Sony Reader only. You won't be able to read them on other platforms because of DRM. It's not special to Sony, but is widespread across the e-book industry. And while it's "bearable" for most people, it is something to keep in mind if you were planning to build a long term scifi library.

Thanks for the $25 off tip. Anyone have the link and details?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
You can also find books at *other places* and convert them if need be as well.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
texag
texag began at the beginning.

Thanks for the quick responses! I've enjoyed this forum immensely.

Before posting, I looked for some link or info on the sony style web site...couldn't find one. Maybe the $25 discount is only good at the brick and mortar stores.

By the way, our local store has over 20 readers in stock.
texag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2007, 02:28 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, I don't really have anything more to add than has already been said, but I do want to say "Howdy!" -- and to welcome you to MobileRead, texag!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:49 PM   #7
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Welcome, texag. Aside from content, there is a big difference between the rocket eBook (which I've had for years and still use) and the Reader. Whether it is worth the price for you is something only you can decide, and you're doing the right thing reading all the stuff here.

I really do like it, and am disappointed only about a few things that Sony could and should have incorporated, but still is worth it for me.

Comparing the two, the Rocket eBook's pros and cons compared to the Reader:

Cons: much heavier and bulkier.
Now, of course, no current books available at Amazon, etc.

Pros: Can download any font of type and type size that's on your computer to the device.
Touch screen.
Backlighted, and ability to pick several degrees of brightnes and contrast.
Has clock and date display.
Has built-in lookup dictionary.
Can bookmark and write notes and underline text.
Can turn text in all four positions.
Can "goto" any page, or "previous position"
Has a good "Find" function with an onscreen keyboard.
Has much better Library software that is heads and shoulders above the Connect software.
Can also plug built-in modem directly to phone jack and download content that way.
Probably some other stuff I've forgotten.

So, as good as the Reader is, it is amazing to me that none of these neat features are incorporated into it. Maybe someday.

I'll tell you this: if the eBook still had the ability to purchase and download current books, I'd never have bothered to buy the Reader.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:49 PM   #8
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Now I'm wondering, the Rocket ebook is the one with SmartMedia card right? I think that is also a bummer ... It's too bad that all these devices have only some things right and not quite all the right things. ... will just have to wait ...
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:06 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff
Welcome, texag. Aside from content, there is a big difference between the rocket eBook (which I've had for years and still use) and the Reader. Whether it is worth the price for you is something only you can decide, and you're doing the right thing reading all the stuff here.

I really do like it, and am disappointed only about a few things that Sony could and should have incorporated, but still is worth it for me.

Pros: Can download any font of type and type size that's on your computer to the device.
Touch screen.
Has much better Library software that is heads and shoulders above the Connect software.
Can also plug built-in modem directly to phone jack and download content that way.

So, as good as the Reader is, it is amazing to me that none of these neat features are incorporated into it. Maybe someday.

I'll tell you this: if the eBook still had the ability to purchase and download current books, I'd never have bothered to buy the Reader.
Does it have the same eInk technology like sony Reader that doesn't tax your eyes at all, or as much as reading a conventional paper?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:24 AM   #10
Snowthief
Snowthief began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
The other thing to keep in mind is that if you are buying all your books at Sony Connect, they are for the Sony Reader only. You won't be able to read them on other platforms because of DRM.
Question: Can't you just activate that slideshow thing on your Reader, throw it in your scanner, set your scanner to scan a page as often as you've set the slideshow to change pages and convert the scanned images to whatever format you want with your OCR software?

Yes, it will take a while, depending on the number of pages in the book and the speed of your scanner, of course, but you only have to do it once per book and then you can forever read that book on any device you want to.
Snowthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:35 AM   #11
JohnB
Enthusiast
JohnB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, iPAQ 4700, Rocket Ebook, BlackBerry
Quote:

Touch screen.

Yep, and the Sony has other annoyances indicating lack of attention to detail, such as when you change the font size it sometimes doesn't adjust the page being displayed such that you don't have to page back.

In response to another question, I always found the original Rocket reader (there was a later, cheaper one) quite readable, and not fatiguing, though I confess it's relegated to a box somewhere, so I have not compared it directly to the Sony.

If I had it to do over, I would NOT have bought the Sony, but would wait for a more open platform that can support more than just Sony DRM content (such as that offered by my local library). I'm getting tired of the current business approach of everything revolving around controlling content.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:18 AM   #12
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat
Does it have the same eInk technology like sony Reader that doesn't tax your eyes at all, or as much as reading a conventional
paper?
No, it is backlighted, so you can read it in any light (unlike the Reader which requires strong light), even in total darkness. It does not tax the eyes at all because you can regulate the brightness and contrast. You can even turn off the backlight and it can be read, like a Reader, under a bright light.

Alas, there is no more content for it other than Gutenberg and .txt books.
I'm not promoting it, just contrasting its advantages over Sony in the faint home that maybe Sony will wake up some day and improve the Reader.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:23 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
No, it is backlighted, so you can read it in any light (unlike the Reader which requires strong light), even in total darkness. It does not tax the eyes at all because you can regulate the brightness and contrast. You can even turn off the backlight and it can be read, like a Reader, under a bright light.
Well, I think you are wrong here. Maybe you don't feel it (I mean some people can read from LCD 12 hours a day and don't feel it) but all the screens with backlights are unhealthy for your eyes to a certain degree. The only real solution is eInk, AFAIK, (fortunatelly or unfortunatelly, I don't know, probably the latter because it probably restricts use of some features that would be possible with different technology). However, for me it is the reason why I bought sony.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:36 AM   #14
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
I am just happy to have a reader that I can put my gazzillion books on here, go get on the couch or wherever and read them. I am not stuck with having to read them on the computer with one of my bookreading programs anymore. That is why I bought this reader and it's working for me.

I am simple and like simple <G>
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:34 AM   #15
Snowthief
Snowthief began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat
all the screens with backlights are unhealthy for your eyes to a certain degree.
No study has ever proven that this is true, nor have the results of any study even indicated that this might be the case.
Snowthief is offline   Reply With Quote