Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #61
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granvillen View Post
BTW, I just read a blogger who has the update. He said it will take about 2 minutes to put a book into a 'collection" If that is true, that is worth getting Pi***ed off about.
I have the update and absolutely dispute that - it takes seconds.

Last edited by Pushka; 05-17-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #62
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTheHammer View Post
That is not true! Kindlers have been wanting collections since day 1. This has been a HUGE issue and now that Amazon has finally done somethig for us they limit the release. It is Amazon who has created the environment of haves and have nots. They could easily fix this by POSTING THE BINS!
Shout it, sister! Or, brother. Or whatever. Anyway shout it out!

Creating even the image of a split in their user base is not a smart move by Amazon. People aren't going to be burning their Kindles in solidarity or anything , but sitting here with my hacks off being creeped out by Emily Dickinson for an entire month while I wait to be anointed is just discouraging.

Up until this point Amazon has always seemed to be at least trying to do the right thing by me, but this just feels poorly thought-out. You don't make a grand announcement of the addition of the single most hotly requested feature, then inexplicably ensure that it'll stay out of the hands of 80% of your customers until most of the enthusiasm evaporates and is replaced by frustration, or simple "whatever."

...unless you're feeling insecure about the sales of the iPad and feel the need to grandstand a bit prematurely?
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 08:09 PM   #63
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkledorf View Post
Shout it, sister! Or, brother. Or whatever. Anyway shout it out!

Creating even the image of a split in their user base is not a smart move by Amazon. People aren't going to be burning their Kindles in solidarity or anything , but sitting here with my hacks off being creeped out by Emily Dickinson for an entire month while I wait to be anointed is just discouraging.
Have to agree with all that. I now have the update, but until the hacks work, I sill have Emily staring me down.

The update should have been made available to everyone at the same time; announce the update first, wait for a couple of weeks, or however long 'it' takes, then give everyone the same opportunity.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:13 PM   #64
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just went to the Amazon update page to check if they had posted the release schedule yet or had perhaps added a manual update option. Still has that "Check back here for updates on the release schedule" message.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #65
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I have the update and absolutely dispute that - it takes seconds.
Still trying to figure out what the slowdown could be. I've removed all directories under 'documents', rebuilt the indexes and now it takes about 30 seconds per title to delete from the device.

I'm talking about removing the book from the device, not just deleting it from a collection, which, I agree takes just a second or two.
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 01:08 AM   #66
Pushka
Wizard

I always use Calibre to delete books from the kindle - this happens instantly.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:20 AM   #67
elmoglick
Groupie

Quote:
I always use Calibre to delete books from the kindle - this happens instantly.
Yes, but when you disconnect your USB cable, have you ever looked at the book listing on the Kindle and noted how long those deleted titles remained there?
Old 05-18-2010, 04:02 AM   #68
Pushka
Wizard

I guess it isnt something that bothers me or affects kindle performance, so no, I have no idea.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #69
elmoglick
Groupie

Quote:
I guess it isnt something that bothers me or affects kindle performance, so no, I have no idea.
Fair enough. I was just trying to determine if the slowdown is with the new firmware or with my DX.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #70
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
Haven't been on for a bit, so I am behind on the news. My K2 is still on 2.3. Does this mean I am hosed for future upgrades (though I don't see how or why...)?

What is 2.5 offering? Folders? Any justification or type changes?

thx!

Don
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #71
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwallbaum View Post
Haven't been on for a bit, so I am behind on the news. My K2 is still on 2.3. Does this mean I am hosed for future upgrades (though I don't see how or why...)?

What is 2.5 offering? Folders? Any justification or type changes?

thx!

Don
I hope not, as I'm also running 2.3. The 2.3.3 upgrade was only offered over the wireless to members who Amazon felt needed it, and because I was having no problems, I didn't upgrade manually.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #72
darthjoey
Enthusiast
darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 - International
There's a bin running around of 2.3.3 from a cache of the software updates page. http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a
darthjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #73
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthjoey View Post
There's a bin running around of 2.3.3 from a cache of the software updates page. http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a
Thanks! I'm updating to 2.3.3 as we speak!
Old 05-20-2010, 05:37 AM   #74
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Thanks! I'm updating to 2.3.3 as we speak!

Please tell us what changes you notice, if any.

I'm using 2.3 on both Kindles.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:30 AM   #75
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Please tell us what changes you notice, if any.

I'm using 2.3 on both Kindles.

Don
I haven't noticed any changes, but I didn't expect to. The update as I understand it was mainly for people who were experiencing problems with 2.3, which I didn't. The only reason I upgraded to 2.3.3. now was in hopes that it would somehow magically facilitate the arrival of 2.5 sooner.