Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Laptop Killer or Space Filler: Can an Author Write a Book on the iPad?

Best selling thriller author Jason Pinter writes about writing on the iPad.

Quote:
Note: this blog post was written on an iPad.
I spent the past week debating whether to buy an iPad, though as with most new gizmos once I start weighing pros and cons it pretty much means I'm sold and am just psyching myself up. One of the reasons I wanted an iPad is to use as a possible replacement for my laptop. I have a 15 inch MacBook Pro, about three and a half years old, it's started limping a bit, slowing down just a tad. The blazing speed it came with in the Fall of 2006 now feels nearly prehistoric.
Read the rest here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jason-...ust_reloaded=1
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I could never replace my laptop with an iPad or other tablet personally.

I 100% want a tablet though, but it will be to supplement my laptop, not entirely replace it. I'd mainly use it for reading, document markup, web surfing on the couch, watching a streaming video in bed etc. as the form factor is MUCH better than a laptop for those activities.

But I need a laptop and keyboard/mouse for writing, running statistical analyses, writing longer e-mails, forum posting and other tasks that require real computing power, software and a keyboard.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
The keyboard issue can be solved with a docking keyboard, or by purchasing just a dock and a (separate) Bluetooth keyboard. Discussions are going on at www.mac-forums.com. There does not seem to be support for a mouse. The big driver is Pages, the only bona fide word processor on the iPad so far, imo. I suppose you could write a 100+ page document with other apps, but Pages is a lot cleaner (and hopefully stable). So, where Pages goes, so goes the rest of the mob. It would be great if they could implement certain mouse functions, to eliminate the need to touch the screen.

Steve Jobs needs to get a handle on his megalomania and quit dictating all aspects of the UI. Every now and then, he should accede to the customer wishes.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, you can get around the keyboard issue that way, but that's pretty clunky vs. just having a laptop IMO.

If it works for people that's of course great. But when I get a tablet I'll be keeping a laptop as well (I don't have, nor want, a desktop at home, so laptop is my main home workstation).
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Sure an author could write a book on an iPad. Heck, you could write a book on an iPhone. Is it the best choice? Not so much.....

I could see using it in certain situations and then loading the file on a "real computer". I often create music parts on my netbook, then bring them into my main sequencer on the desktop....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I am looking forward to hearing of the first book written on the IPad virtual keyboard. If it ever happens - that author will deserve an award for endurance.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Given that an opera was written via twitter there doesn't seem to be a lot of limits to how people can produce something even if it does seem very stupid to do so.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
You can do surgery with a bread knife, but is it really the best tool for the job? And damn, the scar would be ugly.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote