Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
sinsas
sinsas began at the beginning.

Device: Word
Thumbs up SmartQ 5 now $135

I was just at http://www.techbonzer.com/cp/html/?6.html and noticed that there is now a new price for the SmartQ 5.
The new price is now $135 instead of $150.
sinsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Wonder how well this works as a ereader. Its definitely an interesting product and the price is nice.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
I watched a review on the SmartQ 7 and the guy said the the fbreader was kinda limited. I wonder if Calibre could be installed on it. Or another reader. I am assuming its possible in some fashion.

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 01-15-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:07 AM   #4
amberdel
amberdel is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle
Need a good hacker to make some homebrew softwares and make this thing big
amberdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:54 AM   #5
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
If the unit really runs Ubuntu linux there is no hacking that needs to be done. The entire debian linux library should run on it. There is some really nice software in the debian software libraries for reading, creating, converting ebooks.

Just wish it was a little bit bigger screen.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
wpeace
Seer
wpeace began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WP7 Pocket PC/SmartQ7/Pocket Pro/A5A iPad Streak 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
I watched a review on the SmartQ 7 and the guy said the the fbreader was kinda limited. I wonder if Calibre could be installed on it. Or another reader. I am assuming its possible in some fashion.
I've got a SmartQ 7 and it's a decent device. I actually bought it to use as an ebook reader. fbreader is pretty functional as far as I'm concerned, but then again it was my first experience with it.

Library management is phenominal as far as I'm concerned, but difficult to enter and manage unless it's done prior to adding the books to the library.

What was a curse and a blessing was the ability to connect the device to my PC and add books. Sometime Windows thought the drive was corrupted and ended up screwing up the fbreader management.

The one reason I don't use it as much anymore is the SmartQ has a tendency to go into hibernation mode and then shutdown which causes me to have to restart the device if it's inactive more more than 30min. Really annoying.
wpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I've used FBReader for a while on my comptuers and N800, and I really don't think it is limited, unless you count the inability to read DRM files.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpeace View Post
I've got a SmartQ 7 and it's a decent device. I actually bought it to use as an ebook reader. fbreader is pretty functional as far as I'm concerned, but then again it was my first experience with it.

Library management is phenominal as far as I'm concerned, but difficult to enter and manage unless it's done prior to adding the books to the library.

What was a curse and a blessing was the ability to connect the device to my PC and add books. Sometime Windows thought the drive was corrupted and ended up screwing up the fbreader management.

The one reason I don't use it as much anymore is the SmartQ has a tendency to go into hibernation mode and then shutdown which causes me to have to restart the device if it's inactive more more than 30min. Really annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I've used FBReader for a while on my comptuers and N800, and I really don't think it is limited, unless you count the inability to read DRM files.
I took wpeace's comment to mean FBReader has problems managing books if the metadata is not correct or poorly edited. And with that I have to agree in part, but at least FBReader lets a person edit a book's metadata if there is an issue. Still better to manage that side out your library with Calibre than try and do it all inside FBReader because it can be slower and frustrating on many devices, like our mutual N800's...

I do have to agree completely that FBReader might be the best overall reading software out there right now, especially as it can be extended by other developers. Look at what Pocketbook and MR user SciFi (I think that is the user id, might have it wrong though) is doing with FBReader for the Pocketbook OS. Now it even can make use of the accelerometer...very cool.

And if combined with some of the abilities to use certain plug-ins for Calibre which aid in format shifting of books otherwise "locked into" a specific device, the two make a pretty solid team in an effort to make using our readers as each of us individuals prefer.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smartq, smartq 5