Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen > Gen3 Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
Domas
Enthusiast
Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Sony PRS-505, Elonex (EB600E), Cool-er (EB600EM), Hanvon N516
Exclamation EB600: Not even a green light. Is it dead?

Currently my Elonex 600EB reader seems dead: No green light when pushing ON button, reset does not work either. It charges (red light), but I think it's just hardware. I assume software/firmware is messed-up.

My story:

Couple weeks ago I bought Elonex 600EB reader with faulty firmware. I've manage to update it with Cool-er firmware. It was working fine and all, but it was not enough for me - wanted to try something else. Found out that it's almost the same as Foxit eSlick reader, and my Elonex can go to some "SEC S3C24X0A SMDK B/D" mode. I went on to try eSlick firmware with their updater. First phase was successful. Or I thought so. After that my Elonex reader seems dead.

Could any one explain a bit about the update process? Did it messed up bootloader?
Is there any way to revive it? Serial cable (or boot loader is needed for that as well)? Any ideas?
Thanks.

Domas
Domas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
sartakov
sartakov began at the beginning.

Device: ipaq 5550+opie
Hello Domas.
This looks like update process erase bootloader.
first step - u should putup serial cable and look what happenned with bootloader.
after, when u didnt see anything at serial, u should make a JTAG cable and upload new bootloader.
after then u should upload all part of firmware via serial cable..
thats in few words what u should do.. good luck
sartakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
readerdm
readerdm began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hello Domas,
As you found, I have reloaded my Cybook Gen3, which is also based on the Netronix EB100 I think. I'm not sure if the operating system is the same, but you can try my path to see if it helps. THere is a serial port, but it is at 3.3 volts. You will need a 3.3V to RS-232 level translator. THis is a single chip and you can usually buy a little board with one one it. It is powered from the ebook board. With that, you can look at the bootloader stuff, and maybe find out what is wrong. I didn't try the JTAG port yet. THe pinout for both these connectors can be found on the Bookeen forums.
readerdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:42 AM   #4
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by readerdm View Post
Hello Domas,
As you found, I have reloaded my Cybook Gen3, which is also based on the Netronix EB100 I think. I'm not sure if the operating system is the same, but you can try my path to see if it helps. THere is a serial port, but it is at 3.3 volts. You will need a 3.3V to RS-232 level translator. THis is a single chip and you can usually buy a little board with one one it. It is powered from the ebook board. With that, you can look at the bootloader stuff, and maybe find out what is wrong. I didn't try the JTAG port yet. THe pinout for both these connectors can be found on the Bookeen forums.
You are wrong, they are not the same hardware.
EB100 is really different from EB600.

Domas: you definitly brick your device. Playing with firmware of other brands are generally NOT a good idea, unless you work for this brand (or another one).

I think that you will find no one here that could help about this problem, and even if you got JTAG or anything like this on the device you will not be able to repair the product without very good knowledge of it.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote