Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 03-21-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Windows Mobile 2005 (aka Magneto) LEAKED!

A user named Gora from xda-developers leaked what seems to me an authentic copy of a Windows Mobile 5.0 ROM, Microsoft's next mobile platform for PDAs and smartphone (Gora, you better start hiding from MS now!). The About dialog displays the following versions:

Microsoft Windows Mobile Version 5.0 OS 5.1.1700 (build 14326.0.0.0)
ROM version: 1.50f.00WWE
ROM date: 02/24/05
Radio version: 1.10.00
Protocol version 1337.18

The ROM is extracted (?) from the HTC PH10B Himalaya device. Will keep you updated!

update 1: Download ActiveSync 4 mirror 2
update 2: Download WM2005 mirror 2
update 3: Download links removed until someone tells me that it is not illegal to post them here (sorry about that guys) / Alex
update 4: More screenshots added
update 5: 1 more screenshots added
update 6: first preview is available!

Be aware that downloading this software might violate copyright in some countries!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	magneto2.jpg
Views:	11022
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	575   Click image for larger version

Name:	magneto.jpg
Views:	9748
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	576   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0012.jpg
Views:	7813
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	577   Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00754.jpg
Views:	7596
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	578   Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00755.jpg
Views:	8089
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	579   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03206.jpg
Views:	4559
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	580   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03207.jpg
Views:	7100
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	581   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03208.jpg
Views:	4890
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	582   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03210.jpg
Views:	7367
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	583   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC032092.jpg
Views:	5721
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	584   Click image for larger version

Name:	display_5.gif
Views:	12342
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	585  
Old 03-21-2005, 07:22 PM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Someone posted already his first experience:
Quote:
This is the original unpatched ROM image converted to NBF file. It would output "device authentication error". The method to fix this is explained in this forum, use search.
Before installing ROM I recommend to backup the existing ROM to SD-card. Later you can restore old ROM from SD. And you would be able to reflash 2005 after restoring.
Before flashing you should delete all files from \Storage folder. It would become a root directory of your device.

Known problems:
Unable to sync with the desktop computer over USB (needs a "RAPI" driver, patching inf file from ActiveSync 4 gives nothing), cannot sync over BT (ActiveSync "sees" the device, but disconnects immediately), tupisdin was able to sync over IR, I don't have a working IR so cannot check this.
Lots of compatibility issues with old programs. For example Qkeys is not working, after installing all SIPs disappear.
Seems that BT is extremely unstable. I was unable to create a working COM-port connection.
Backup program is taken from the old ROM and is not working. Maybe creating an empty "\Storage" folder will help.
I was unable to make a hard reset. After installing Qkeys you have to reflash old rom and then 2005 again to get a working OS.
Camera application is extremely slow.
You are unable to bind programs to "camera" and "record" hardware buttons.
Storage (root directory) size is only 14Mb, so you have to install all programs to SD-card. "Extended_Rom" folder disappears and this space is wasted. But it "returns" when you flash old ROM.

I don't recommend to use this ROM. But it is a good experience to install it and to see the benefits of 2005 OS.
Later I'll play with RAPI driver, maybe we would be able to sync over USB.
Advert
Old 03-21-2005, 07:27 PM   #3
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!

There seems to be some kind of authentication mechanism in place after you upgrade your device with the new ROM; however it doesn't seem to be very effective.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:03 PM   #4
jjesusfreak01
Senior Junior Member
jjesusfreak01 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony TH-55
Tell us when Microsoft sends you the threatening email. No offense intended, but this has happened to people in the original forum. Watch your back, MS is watching you.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:07 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Thanks for your concern. I am going to remove the download links, Morpheus, because I still haven't figured out about the legality of providing such links (I know they are from the other forum, but still...). Better to stay clean and happy
Advert
Old 03-21-2005, 08:10 PM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Guys, look at the screenshot of the launcher...! It looks so, uhm, very Palm-esque! Definitely a big improvement to WM2003
Old 03-21-2005, 08:14 PM   #7
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alex, I understand your concerns, but do you really think it is a problem to post links to downloads here that were not originally uploaded by you? I just came a minutes too late before you erased the links ;(
Old 03-21-2005, 08:17 PM   #8
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Alex, I understand your concerns, but do you really think it is a problem to post links to downloads here that were not originally uploaded by you? I just came a minutes too late before you erased the links ;(
I think it all depends on where you live or where the server is located respectively. Sorry Alex if I broke any forum rules by duplicating those links...
Old 03-21-2005, 08:19 PM   #9
TadW
Uebermensch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
I think it all depends on where you live or where the server is located respectively.
I don't think it is that easy. I am sure if it was up to Microsoft we weren't even allowed to look at those screenshots!
Old 03-21-2005, 08:31 PM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Tad go to the forum where the poster leaked the ROM; you'll also find the download links there. We want to stay clean, sorry
Old 03-22-2005, 11:30 AM   #11
TadW
Uebermensch

Does anyone know if the leaked version of ActiveSync 4 also works with WM2003 SE? In fact, does anyone know what is new in ActiveSync 4?
Old 03-22-2005, 04:20 PM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

This might be related to this thread:

If you are interested in modifying content of a ROM and/or to extract single files, you should visit this site which has a lot of custom-made tools made for this task. A more complete list of available tools can be found here.

@TadW: I am not sure what's new in ActiveSync 4, but I would hesitate installing it since it is definitely not a final version.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:49 PM   #13
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!

I'd be more interested if Microsoft or the hardware vendors are planning to offer upgrades for existing devices. If the Himalaya device can run WM2005, then I am sure e.g. the Dell Axim X50 could as well.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:45 PM   #14
danieldynasty
danieldynasty began at the beginning.

Dynatech has more information on the files
links to copyright-protected material removed

Last edited by danieldynasty; 03-23-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:28 AM   #15
evilpig
evilpig began at the beginning.

I have also hosted the files
links to copyright-protected material removed