Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #91
Brainiac 5
Brainiac 5 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader
The time is coming that they will really need to support x64. As rmeister0 said, some consumer machines now come with Vista x64. In fact, last week I was surprised to notice in Best Buy's weekly flier that many machines came with 4GB or more of RAM, and pretty much every desktop machine except the few really cheap ones came with Vista x64!
Brainiac 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #92
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Remember they aimed the device itself at folks who aren't computer geniuses, so they're not going to ask for too much technosavvy on the updates.
Thanks very much NatCh, I appreciate all the help here. Now I'm waiting on tenterhooks for the firmware release - and I'm seriously planning on stopping by the Sony store that I pass on my way to campus!
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #93
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeister0 View Post
There is an unanswered question here: does the new software support Windows Vista x64? The current software is 32-bit only.

A smattering of consumer machines are shipping with x64 now.
Which software ? For ePub files, you'll be using Digital Editions instead of the Sony eBook Library.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:54 AM   #94
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I suspect he meant the official Sony Library software.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #95
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

With DE, it'll be much easier to use the PRS-505 on Mac OS X and Linux too. The Linux version of DE isn't available yet, but it should be released this year.
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #96
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Another question, with my ongoing thanks for patience with my cluelessness: is Adobe DE something that has to be installed on the eReader, something you install on your laptop to convert PDFs for your eReader, or now made unnecessary by the new firmware? (or something else entirely?)
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #97
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
With DE, it'll be much easier to use the PRS-505 on Mac OS X and Linux too. The Linux version of DE isn't available yet, but it should be released this year.
But suppose you need the Sony Library to purchase ePub books from Waterstone's. Without proper 64bit support from Sony, you're screwed if you're using Vista 64.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #98
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
It's not certain OSX and Linux version will support devices. The current OSX executable doesn't contain a string "Sony" (Windows version does).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #99
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Oh when, oh when will the download be there, oh when, oh when will it be? Sing with me folks.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #100
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
hopefully the new firmware won't affect battery life. i'm pleased with my battery life and not so much pleased with the news i hear of the cybook's (especially the problems after new firmware came out).

oh, and sony, if you're listening.. you just made the sony reader my perfect reader (well, barring a better slightly bigger screen) except for one feature. Ability to add your own fonts (and thereby add multi language support). Other than this one thing, the 505 right now is perfect for me. please consider!
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #101
stgben
Enthusiast
stgben began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
But suppose you need the Sony Library to purchase ePub books from Waterstone's. Without proper 64bit support from Sony, you're screwed if you're using Vista 64.
I've resorted to running a virtual machine with Windows XP 32-bit for the sole purpose of using the eBook Library.
stgben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #102
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
It's not certain OSX and Linux version will support devices. The current OSX executable doesn't contain a string "Sony" (Windows version does).
Well, I doubt that Adobe will keep the support for mobile devices Windows-only, it wouldn't make much sens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
For ePub books, I doubt that you'll use the Sony Library. You'll simply browse Waterstone using your browser and it'll launch DE to download and transfer the book.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #103
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgben View Post
I've resorted to running a virtual machine with Windows XP 32-bit for the sole purpose of using the eBook Library.
Funny.. it works perfectly well on x64. It's just a problem with their installer.

So open up a command line (probably run as administrator), and execute the exe, passing in "/a" as an argument. This will explode the installation package into a directory of your choice. Then you copy the directories to their appropriate locations.

Tedious, but less tedious than maintaining a single-purpose VM.
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #104
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
oh, and sony, if you're listening.. you just made the sony reader my perfect reader
If their press release were actually entirely true, then it would be my perfect reader :

Quote:
"The Reader is an open device[...]," said Steve Haber, senior vice president of consumer product marketing for Sony Electronics.
-Marshall
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #105
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
First, I think I can safely say that there will not be a desktop Linux release of ADE this calendar year. (I don't think the fact that the Sony is running on top of Linux OS counts for what you want).

Second, ADE talks to the Sony PRS-505 through a DLL that get installed with the Connect Library. If you do not have Connect Library installed, then you will not see your Sony as a bookshelf in ADE (and you wont be able to activate your Sony, DRM won't work, etc...)

Since Sony does not ship the Connect Library for Mac and did not have a Framework (Mac version of a DLL) for us to talk to, the Mac version of ADE will not "see" the Sony Reader. You can still transfer files through the OS, but DRM'd files will not work unless you have previously authorized your Sony Reader with an AdobeID (on a Windows box) that is the same as what you are using on the Mac. I'm a Mac user, my wife (who has a 505) is also a Mac user - I feel the pain on this.

Also there was an earlier question about reflow. The PDF does not have to be "tagged" to be reflowed.(and we actually ignore the tags if we they are there - we got better results that way) Because of this there are cases were we will really mangle the PDF during reflow because the text flow in the PDF do not match what you would expect as reading order, but other than the edge cases the results are pretty good.

Any other technical questions , fire away.

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Last edited by Jim Lester; 07-24-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe, digital editions, epub, firmware, pdf, prs500, reflow, update