Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-10-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
My First (and only) Meeting with Larry Niven

I read a lot more sci-fi when I was in high school, college and in my early adult years than I do now. But, back in about 1978 or 79, I was working at UCLA Medical Center. I generally worked Sunday through Wednesday, ten hour days, so I always had three day "weekends."

One Wednesday I went down to the bookstore in Westwood (as I recall it was not strictly a sci-fi bookstore, but it had a really large sci-fi section) and purchased a copy of "Ringworld." Didn't know anything about it, or the author, it was just a random grab.

I picked it up that next Thursday morning, began to read it, and did not put it down until I had finished it. At that point, I ran full tilt back to the bookstore, and began to pull one copy of each Larry Niven book I could find off the shelf. I think I had about 12 or 13 books stacked up in my arms, and I was desperatelly looking for more.

A man who had been watching me walked up to me and asked me what I was doing. My reply to him was as follows:

"I just finished this book called Ringworld, and it was the best thing I've read in sooooo long!! If any of this guy's books are even a third as good as that one was, I am going to have the best f**king three day weekend of my life. I am going to stock up on food, and just read and read and read, and I'm not going to stop until I absolutely have to. If you have any appreciation for great science fiction, you will buy this man's books."

I then took my stack to the checkout. At which point, the checkout clerk said "Are you going to have these autographed?"

I said, "Huh?"

"Are you going to have these books autographed. I saw you talking to the author back there. I just wondered if you were going to have him sign them."

I said, "Excuse me?"

"You do know you were talking to Larry Niven back there, don't you."

At that point, realizing that I had just made the biggest fool of my self since I spent the better point of 20 minutes talking with Steve McQueen and not recognizing him (and came very close to telling him that - if he were just a bit taller, he'd look just like Steve McQueen), I just paid for the books and got the hell out of there.

It was one of the best damned three day weekends of my life. The man writes so well, I actually hurt with enjoyment from reading those books.

Anybody else have any stories from personal life they'd like to share??
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I once loaned Robert Silverburg my pocket guide at ChiCon V. I was walking down the hall and someone behind me said, "Can I borrow your pocket guide for a moment?"

I turned around and blurted out, "Holy shit! You're Robert Silberburg!"

He replied, "Most of the time. Right now, I'm late for my next panel and don't know where it is supposed to be."
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
BTW, Larry may not have signed many of your books. He has very bad carpal tunnel syndrome and autographing flares it up something fierce.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I don't think you made a fool of yourself, Ricky. I'm sure that you made Larry Niven's day.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
BTW, Larry may not have signed many of your books. He has very bad carpal tunnel syndrome and autographing flares it up something fierce.
This was in the years pre-computer, although I suppose he might have had it back then just from typing.

I'll never know ... I didn't ask, and I get much too embarrassed around people I admire (note, that I did not say "famous people" ... fame does nothing to or for me, admiration is something else entirely).

I did email Mr. Niven years later ... sadly, he didn't even remember the episode that is so clearly burned into my brain.

Ah well .... c'est la vie.
Advert
Old 06-10-2008, 05:35 PM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I don't think you made a fool of yourself, Ricky. I'm sure that you made Larry Niven's day.
If I did, the feeling didn't last. Although it was probably 25 years before I got the guts to write to him ... but he didn't remember me or meeting me.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:24 PM   #7
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I was at some school thing, taking place in the exact same school I escaped years earlier, with two of my kids and my wife, watching the third child do something no doubt charming and memorable. My oldest son and I were talking about girls, were there any he liked, etc. That led to my story about the Wilson sisters. They were both gorgeous. How gorgeous? I explained it in terms of the Cindy Crawford commercial, where she stops to drink a Pepsi. When the bus stopped at their house, all conversation ceased. Teri was tall, raven black hair, and a body that kept moving when she stood still. Jackie was a year older, auburn hair, not as curvy but actually more appealing, not as over-the-top sex bomb as Teri. It seemed like every slow-motion hair commercial ever made when they walked to the bus...

...and that's when Jackie taps me on the shoulder and asks me how I've been.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Oh crap!!

Did she hear what you said??

Did she still look that good??

I went to a HS reunion ... our tenth. I remember repeating something my mother had said, about how a particular girl I knew in HS had died.

And then she walked up to me and said "hi" .... and I felt like such a boob.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
I once told a story about a teacher at my brothers school. Suddenly a fellow student asked me about the name of the teacher. I told him - suddenly realising HIS last name ...
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:33 PM   #10
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Oh crap!!

Did she hear what you said??

Did she still look that good??
Oh, of course. She waited, listening appreciatively to my glowing descriptions, until I reached a stopping point and said 'hello'.

She looked very nice, I thought, though she laughed at my glowing review, and told me how Teri and her actually used to practice flipping their hair just so. She was glad all that "silly vain effort had some lasting effect".
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #11
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

She sounds like someone I would like.

I like the HS queens and local heroes who grow up to be "real" people.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:01 PM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
I once told a story about a teacher at my brothers school. Suddenly a fellow student asked me about the name of the teacher. I told him - suddenly realising HIS last name ...
Heh ... I hear you. I've been on the other end of that. For some years I went to the school where my mother was a teacher. First off ... I never got away with anything. If I did something bad, my mother was there in a heartbeat to teach me a lesson in manners. And secondly, whenever some kid was pissed off at my mother, they tried to take it out on me. (Not on my sister, of course ... she was older and much (much) more popular than I.)

And, I've been there when someone was telling an old story about my mom. Luckily for me, they've all been good stories. (She was a really nice person and a good teacher.)

Tags
clouds of enlightenment